Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunnes / M&S , cousins ?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Just looking at Dunnes / M&S websites, not too far off each other apart from M&S stuff being x2/3 times Dunnes prices. And the old St Bernard / St Micheal branding and other similarities I get the impression Dunnes are just shadowing M&S in everything but yet totally unrelated :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I guess M&S would be the brand to aspire to for an Irish food and clothing retailer, does Dunnes copy M&S much in clothing? I really hadn't noticed.

I find Marks sizes more accurate than Dunnes and a slightly better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The old St Bernard branding was quite like M&S at the time, IIRC.

I buy a lot of workwear from M&S. The quality is decent, and it's not too expensive, considering I wear the dresses etc each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not just Dunes and M&S that are similar, how much variety can there be especially for work staples. But both websites are miles away from Zara for example which I find very easy to navigate despite high number of products.

I don't know how well Dunes are doing on clothing alone but they had biggest grocery market share in Ireland in last three months (Kantar Worldpanel). M&S are struggling at the moment and concentrating on food so I doubt Dunes are trying to emulate them. They are more likely trying to poach customers away from them. I wouldn't be much of a customer of either so I haven't got a clue if it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's funny how different people perceive things differently. I don't see much similarity in the Dunnes/M&S websites and no similarity in their clothes at all. I find the Zara website to be borderline unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

My search on another front was for a simple black short sleeve shirt, Penneys DON'T DO short sleeves ('Only in summer' - WHO wears a black shirt in summer !!) , Dunnes is E12, M&S something like E20. Penneys 'revamped' website is as bad as the original !

Advertisement