Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odd marriage record

Options
  • 09-11-2015 4:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what to make of this marriage record:

James McGrath to Margaret Kinsella in Sept 1891 in St Kevin's church, Dublin

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633734#page/169/mode/1up

The fathers' first names match the civil record but they both have the wrong surname. One of the witnesses is a Ryan, which is one of the recorded parent surnames. Is this just a confused priest?

The addresses for the parents are Wicklow, but I can't make out the rest of the address. Any sharper eyes?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The second surnames refer to the mother's maiden names - some of the registers record the parents with the father's first name, and the mothers first name and maiden name;

James McGrath, 7 Lower Oriel Street, parents Peter McGrath & Ellen Byrne, Arklow, Co Wicklow [looks like]

Margaret Kinsella, 18 Wexford St, parents Matthew Kinsella & Margaret Ryan, Rathnew?? Co Wicklow

Witnesss: James Ryan, Arklow? Co Wicklow, Mary Kinsella, 18 Wexford St.

Comment ‘tres’ – possibly third cousins?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks, that's totally obvious to me now you say it!
    I've been working too long today clearly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement