Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing betting thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

oddschecker.com mate. A bookies up the road from me gives you the best odds on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The best I could find was 11/5 on a Broner decision.

I'm taking Mikey Garcia at 1/5 tonight on William Hill.

The prick in the shop wouldn't give me those odds as it transpired because they were on sportingbet and he says they only give odds on high street shops. I was going to complain that I always got those odds but it might jeapordise my chances of getting them again with a different cashier. I only got 15/8.

Anyway, Jonathan Banks v Seth Mitchell and both of them are dead evens to win. Worth a punt on either of them from a sheer gambling point of view. I'd lean toward Banks.

And the bet of the week so far, Golovkin is 11/4 to beat Macklin in rounds 7-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

FTA69 wrote: »
    And the bet of the week so far, Golovkin is 11/4 to beat Macklin in rounds 7-12.

I like the sound of that. Macklin has a strong tendency for dropping off in the second half of fights.

Rakhim Chakhkiev to beat Krzysztof Wlodarczyk @ 4/11
    Banks to stop Mitchell again @ 6/5 Bet365

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    Rakhim Chakhkiev to beat Krzysztof Wlodarczyk @ 4/11
    Banks to stop Mitchell again @ 6/5 Bet365

If he's evens to win the fight by KO or decision then there's no point in betting on a stoppage alone for pretty much the same odds.

If he's evens to win the fight by KO or decision then there's no point in betting on a stoppage alone for pretty much the same odds.

He's not evens on any of the accounts I have. Also, I really can't see Banks getting a decision, it's either a stoppage or a loss for him imo.

He's not evens on any of the accounts I have. Also, I really can't see Banks getting a decision, it's either a stoppage or a loss for him imo.

My stupid office building won't let us look up gambling websites, I'll be in the bookies later on.

Gavin Rees is 13/10 to KO Anthony Crolla, decent odds. Crolla has lost some howlers and struggled against light hitting Derry Matthews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Gavin Rees is 13/10 to KO Anthony Crolla, decent odds. Crolla has lost some howlers and struggled against light hitting Derry Matthews.

Derry Matthews can punch.

But I think you could be on the ball with the bet though. I strongly fancy Rees and he could well stop Crolla late.

• Advertisement

He has a 50% KO ratio against low calibre opponents, I wouldn't call him a puncher.

What do you make of 11/10 for a Geale decision over Barker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

He has a 50% KO ratio against low calibre opponents, I wouldn't call him a puncher.

What do you make of 11/10 for a Geale decision over Barker?

Don't let records fool you, if you watch Matthews box you can see he really whacks with the right. Problem is he's just so fragile himself.

Anyway, Geale's fights have 'distance fight' written all over them and he has a high workrate which should offset Barker's better boxing, but I'm a little unsure of this one, I think it's going to be a lot closer than many think. I'll definitely be covering the distance options, with Geale on pts the best pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Derry wasn't really a banger down at Featherweight, but at Lightweight he can punch. If you take his last 6 wins, 5 have come by stoppage (all within 6 rounds), and 3 were in the 1st. The one non stoppage came in a 3 round prizefighter fight, where imo in a full fight he'd have got the stoppage.

Regardless of stats and numbers,I believe Derry can whack a bit and Tommy Coyle will likely find this out very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Golovkin to beat Macklin on points can be got at 5/1

I personally think he will win a competitive fight by UD.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Paddy power are doing money back on round and group round betting if Macklin wins. Not sure that that includes alternative group round betting. Probably not.

5/2 for David Price to KO Thompson between rounds 7-12 and 5/4 for Price to finish him in rounds 1-6. I can see Price hiding behind the jab, Thompson running out of steam and Price scoring a TKO.

Just got in there and found out the result! :)

Ye probably won't believe me but I threw a score on Thomson to win by stoppage today @ 5/1 on Paddy Power. Those were insane odds given the fact he did exactly that just a few months ago.

Bets for the weekend:

Geale to win on points over Darren Barker - 11/8.

I live Barker a lot, but he isn't on the same level as the likes of Murray or Macklin in my eyes and there's more than a touch of hype about him going into this fight. He's tough but I think Geale is the better boxer and will win a decision here.

Cleverly to win on points over Kovalev - 6/4

If Cleverly holds his discipline I think he can win a handy decision here. If not it's lights out for him. Kovalev is a savage no doubt, but he's an unproven savage at that. Comparisons with Matthysse v Peterson are invalid as Lucas had already proved himself a capable boxer and had beaten (or been robbed against) superior opponents. We'll see on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Bets for the weekend:

Geale to win on points over Darren Barker - 11/8.

I live Barker a lot, but he isn't on the same level as the likes of Murray or Macklin in my eyes and there's more than a touch of hype about him going into this fight. He's tough but I think Geale is the better boxer and will win a decision here.

Cleverly to win on points over Kovalev - 6/4

If Cleverly holds his discipline I think he can win a handy decision here. If not it's lights out for him. Kovalev is a savage no doubt, but he's an unproven savage at that. Comparisons with Matthysse v Peterson are invalid as Lucas had already proved himself a capable boxer and had beaten (or been robbed against) superior opponents. We'll see on the night.

Really looking forward to Geale v Barker, I give Barker a great chance.

Don't agree that Murray and Macklin are better boxers, Barker is probably the best "boxer" of them all in fairness, his weakness is his body. He can never fully count on it, so doubts will always be there in the later rounds for him.

In my opinion he gave Martinez a really good scrap (possibly a peak version of Martinez aswell- something Murray and Macklin cannot say).

Macklin and Murray faired decently against Martinez also, but a poorer Maravilla really.

Geale is a good fighter but is definately the best shot Barker has at becoming champ. Being held in the states should ensure no home town decisions aswell.

Think Geale and Barker are very evenly matched so I'm putting a bet on the draw @ 23/1.

Doing a treble accumulator too.
    Kovalev KO/TKO @ 2.37
    Heffron @ 1.4
    Szpillka @ 1.25

• Advertisement

:D

That eejit fella who made the "make some money thread" should follow me! :p

:D

That eejit fella who made the "make some money thread" should follow me! :p

Congrats, hopefully Geale'll get a decision or I'm down proper.

Cleaned out, worst stint I had in the bookies in a long time.

Righto redemption bet. Double on Floyd to win a decision over Canelo (8/15) and Matthysse to spark out Judah (8/11).

Combined odds of 5/2. Banker.

Also Haye is most likely going to KO the bould Tyson Fury unfortunately. Here's the odds breakdown:

Haye rounds 1-6 is 6/4 and Haye rounds 7-12 is 10/3 which gives odds of around 6/4 for a Haye KO if you back those two options. Bargain odds. Another banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Also Haye is most likely going to KO the bould Tyson Fury unfortunately. Here's the odds breakdown:

Haye rounds 1-6 is 6/4 and Haye rounds 7-12 is 10/3 which gives odds of around 6/4 for a Haye KO if you back those two options. Bargain odds. Another banker.

If the fight does get to rounds 7-12 I'd give Fury a great chance, don't think it will go past the first couple though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Righto redemption bet. Double on Floyd to win a decision over Canelo (8/15) and Matthysse to spark out Judah (8/11).

Combined odds of 5/2. Banker.

I'll be having some of that, does seem like a great bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

anyone seen much of beltran? he is 4.5/1 to win against burns... who hasn't looked great by any stretch in his last few...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Senor Frog wrote: »
    anyone seen much of beltran? he is 4.5/1 to win against burns... who hasn't looked great by any stretch in his last few...

?, I think you mean last one.
    He looked bloody terrific against Kevin Mitchell in his fight before that (best he's looked in his career), and he looked very good in his two previous fights before that vs Paulus Moses and Michael Katsidis.

I've seen a bit of Beltran, he's good and will test Burns early, applying pressure. But I feel as the fight progresses Burns will be able to keep his range and outbox Beltran from the outside. That wasn't an option against Gonzalez, who was rangier and a damn sight slicker than Beltran, although that's not to say Beltran is crude cause he's not (most of the time).

Real test for Burns though and at 4.5/1 I suppose it's a pretty decent bet, but I'm favouring Burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

ya i was referring to his last fight when i said he hadn't looked great. Your right regarding the Mitchell fight , I remember being genuinely surprised in the manner he won that, i thought mitchell might have had too much for him....

Just thinking it might be worth the bet seems as you said Beltran will be in it early and burns doesn't seem to like to take a backwards step even if it is what he should do ....

Advertisement