Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where ya all headin' to in 2010?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Smutty007 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a cheap place to stay in Saalbach?

Looking for apartments or hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Smutty007

Decided to just book into the youth hostel in Bad gastein instead.
    Just seemed easiest plus there is a snowboard world cup leg taking place while I'm there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

some place called val thorens in the 3 valleys. only second time skiing and looking forward to some serious ploughing. regarding the apres ski, i am definitly on the black slopes!!

Val Thorens is class, you can spend a few days around Val thorens, then you can ski to the other valleys ( ski pass work in all the valleys )
    The for the apres ski . . http://www.cazcafe.nl/valthorens/Veronica-snowcafes.aspx . . is a good bar, loads of dutch ppl there :D & the main niteclub is under the town ( will make sense when you get there )

Going to St Anton with 10 ppl in Jan.
    & in Feb 3 of us are heading either Saalbach/Ischgl or Kitzbuhel . . which would you recommend???? appreciate any help.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Going to St. Anton on 31st of January with 10 lads! Can't wait!

• Advertisement

Saalbach over new year's - should be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Myself and 200 others from Trinity heading back to Val Thorens 8 - 17th Jan

Going to be amazing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Myself and 200 others from Trinity heading back to Val Thorens 8 - 17th Jan

Going to be amazing:D

I'll make sure im not there that week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

soll in january :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

daosulli wrote: »
    Going to St Anton with 10 ppl in Jan.
    & in Feb 3 of us are heading either Saalbach/Ischgl or Kitzbuhel . . which would you recommend???? appreciate any help.
    cheers

I have been to Kitzbuhel 7 times skiing and I love it!!
    It's great for red and blue runs and it does have a fair few black runs as well. The great thing about Kitzbuhel is you have the horn - Which is nearly all blue/red runs and it's where most beginners head. We usually spend a day or two there, just to get back into the feel again. Then you also have the hanenkam. This has a variety of runs and you can also ski onto many other mountains!

The apres ski in Kitzbuhel is very good too! We always stay in a lovely family run hotel in the town centre, but it is a bit expensive! PM if you want the name, not sure if I can say it on here!

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    I have been to Kitzbuhel 7 times skiing and I love it!!
    It's great for red and blue runs and it does have a fair few black runs as well. The great thing about Kitzbuhel is you have the horn - Which is nearly all blue/red runs and it's where most beginners head. We usually spend a day or two there, just to get back into the feel again. Then you also have the hanenkam. This has a variety of runs and you can also ski onto many other mountains!

The apres ski in Kitzbuhel is very good too! We always stay in a lovely family run hotel in the town centre, but it is a bit expensive! PM if you want the name, not sure if I can say it on here!

Thanks for the update Lizt, think its going to be a toss of a coin Kitzbuhel/Ischgl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

nowhere.. i hate you all!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

Just back from Tignes. Had two days up on the glacier was good to get back into it. You could ski from the glacier right down to the train. Got some powder as well ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

just booked flights for Oberstdorf 2010 :)
    Can't wait!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Morzine in France with 25 people. Third ski trip but first in 6yrs. Is morzine a good ski/après resort. I know very little about it to be honest. Feb 6 th.

Heading to lidl to get some gear tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Mayhofren (think thats how its spelt) in Austria!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Ehrwald, Austria during the first week in January.

It's my first time skiing, so I might head down to Kilternan for the one day course before I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Neilyb

Livigno Jan 02 with my girlfriend for third time (holds lots of good memories for us)
    love the wide runs, cheap shopping and exceptional hospitality.

then hopefully somewhere for a few days in feb with a group from work.

Bring it on!

ste88m wrote: »
    Ehrwald, Austria during the first week in January.

It's my first time skiing, so I might head down to Kilternan for the one day course before I go.

you should there great up there and it will give you an advantage when you get on teh snow...well i found it did when i went up before my 1st time going skiing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Les Houches/Chamonix valley in France
    January
    Me, the missus and the baba
    Can't wait, will be combining a bit of skiing with a visit with family, here's hoping for great snow!

• Advertisement

the baba gonna ski??? lol

the baba gonna ski??? lol

The baba is doing well to be going on hols at all- she's only 7 months. The indoctrination starts here so she needs to see the excitement of her Dad and see and feel some snow. Can't wait til she is able to bomb down the slopes too!

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Can't wait til she is able to bomb down the slopes too!

once you put her in ski school its ok...i hate to think how bad the local kids knees are when there 20!!! from personal view snowplow is the most uncomfortable position to be in...the pain it causes to my knees is horrible...and every year I see TONS of little kids on skis flying down blacks with their parents...the parents are great skiers but the kids are in snow plow...that cant be good for their knees!!! then last year I saw a father (German or Austrian) teaching his young son how to ski PROPERLY...how every one learns...he was doing parallel skiing but still snowplow turns...prob one of the best kids i saw who wasn't in ski school!!! :D

once you put her in ski school its ok...i hate to think how bad the local kids knees are when there 20!!! from personal view snowplow is the most uncomfortable position to be in...the pain it causes to my knees is horrible...and every year I see TONS of little kids on skis flying down blacks with their parents...the parents are great skiers but the kids are in snow plow...that cant be good for their knees!!! then last year I saw a father (German or Austrian) teaching his young son how to ski PROPERLY...how every one learns...he was doing parallel skiing but still snowplow turns...prob one of the best kids i saw who wasn't in ski school!!! :D

Who wouldn't put their kids in ski school unless they were an instructor?:eek:
    I've enough to be worrying about taking care of myself without trying to manage teaching her

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Who wouldn't put their kids in ski school unless they were an instructor?:eek:
    I've enough to be worrying about taking care of myself without trying to manage teaching her

good I'm glad...you'd be surprised!!! just watch them when your on the slopes...there EVERYWHERE!!!! they were put on skies and told to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Heading to Les Deux Alps on 16th Jan. 12 of us going so far. I'll be away for my birthday again yipeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

mawk wrote: »
    There is certainly no complaining to be done about livigno.

Arinsal in january myself

I've booked a week there end of Feb. Is it really that good?

Absolutely no experience but from looking for accomm, the people and business owners seem really dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I_luv_2_ski!Wait till you see some of the locals in the Ziller valley.

Witnessed a 6 maybe 7 year old ski the Hari Kari in full GS race turns and then get a lecture of his father about getting his hips more across the ski and down the hill to initiate the turn:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's just not possible for kid to do "proper" turns, they won't have the strength or balance or awareness of their own bodies, and they are very top heavy as well. Wedge, or snow ploughs as you Europeans* call them, is a pretty stable position for them to be in to start off with.

Once they are on snow and having fun what does it matter how they look getting down the hill, that will come later.

Calling them snow ploughs in NZSIA teaching would have been a fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

robinphIs that because most of the Kiwis stem the hell out of their short radius turns? :D:D:D:D

Kids under 5 tend to rely on snoploughs but think you are spot on personally I think the biggest factor is awarness of their own bodies and their mental capacity to process information.

I swear sometimes it is like teaching goldfish to do tricks only more fun :D:D

Advertisement