Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rewax a jacket

• 01-09-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there. Anyone got their wax jacket rewaxed in Dublin? I've spoken to two cleaners but they're 80-100 and a 4-6 week timeframe. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I rewaxed a jacket by hand before - you can buy the wax in a pomade or spray, you need somewhere to hang it that is warm and dry and its labour intensive but it wasnt as bad as I thought!

I have also used a wash in re-waterproofing from Nikwax which I found brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi there. Anyone got their wax jacket rewaxed in Dublin? I've spoken to two cleaners but they're 80-100 and a 4-6 week timeframe. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

This may or may not be useful, given the current times wherein limiting travel is encouraged and the Dublin lockdown.... but if your jacket is made by Barbour, the boutique in Kildare village can send it back to Barbour to do it for you with a reasonable turnaround, and Iirc it doesn’t cost too much. I think the Barbour concessions in Brown Thomas also can arrange this. You can also buy the wax from them directly so you can do it yourself...

Otherwise, your best bet would be a shoe cobblers or dry cleaners, they often offer this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

This may or may not be useful, given the current times wherein limiting travel is encouraged and the Dublin lockdown.... but if your jacket is made by Barbour, the boutique in Kildare village can send it back to Barbour to do it for you with a reasonable turnaround, and Iirc it doesn’t cost too much. I think the Barbour concessions in Brown Thomas also can arrange this. You can also buy the wax from them directly so you can do it yourself...

Otherwise, your best bet would be a shoe cobblers or dry cleaners, they often offer this service.

Thank you! Called them today - lead times are 8- 12 weeks so I think it may be a DIY job or else I won't have a jacket for winter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thank you! Called them today - lead times are 8- 12 weeks so I think it may be a DIY job or else I won't have a jacket for winter

I'm not in any way 'handy', but I managed to re-wax a jacket not once but twice.

Honestly, it's dead simple...

You order a tin of re-waxing product online (I think I got the last one from Barbour), heat it in a pan of water until it is clear, and then, having brushed down the jacket to get it as clean as you can, you apply the wax using an old cloth. It will show up as sort of white if it's overly clumpy, but a bit of elbow grease will see it spread out and worked into the jacket. Then it just needs time to hang dry. It's very straightforward.

Advertisement