Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White shirt woes

• 13-01-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

So I’m wondering can anyone help me out. I’ve a wedding coming up and I need a white shirt. Problem is that I’ve a tattoo on my back that I’d love to not be able to see through the shirt. I’ve also had issues in the past where if I was a girl I’d never where one as nipple view can be an issue.

Anyone recommend a brand of shirt that they’ve had that didn’t have these white shirt woes? Obviously I know you pay for quality but was hoping under €60

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A twill shirt from any supplier should be thick enough to hide a tattoo, Moss would usually have a decent stock of these and they usually have a sale on around now also. Either that or a vest basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

jarvis wrote: »
    So I’m wondering can anyone help me out. I’ve a wedding coming up and I need a white shirt. Problem is that I’ve a tattoo on my back that I’d love to not be able to see through the shirt. I’ve also had issues in the past where if I was a girl I’d never where one as nipple view can be an issue.

Anyone recommend a brand of shirt that they’ve had that didn’t have these white shirt woes? Obviously I know you pay for quality but was hoping under €60

Why did you get a tattoo if you don't want anyone to see that you have a tattoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Why did you get a tattoo if you don't want anyone to see that you have a tattoo?

Thats an irrelevant question to the OP....
    People get tattoos for themselves, not for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Are you male or female? If male you should be wearing a t-shirt or vest under you shirt anyway.

368100 wrote: »
    Thats an irrelevant question to the OP....
    People get tattoos for themselves, not for other people.

So you get a tattoo on your back that you cannot see but you don't want anyone else to see it either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Most decent shirt places (ie not penneys) will have thicker weight white shirting material.

You could also wear a vest underneath (make sure to not get a white vest but something like a grey or 'nude' undershirt, white will show really easily under a white shirt).

Or get a waistcoat for on top of your shirt. I prefer a 3 piece suit for a wedding anyway, looks cleaner and more festive. You don't need to get a new suit if you don't have a matching waistcoat for it, 'odd vests' can look really great.

0117.jpg

suit-waistcoat-dress-shirt-large-41393.jpg

Brooks Brothers but you'll pay €80, wither way you should be wearing a t-shirt under your shirt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Are you male or female? If male you should be wearing a t-shirt or vest under you shirt anyway.

Ha ha!! No you shouldn't.

Thanks for giving me a laugh Kaiya Ripe Birthmark.

Anyway OP you've three options:

1. Keep your jacket on (which you should really do anyway, unless you're cutting a rug on the dance floor)
    2. Get a heavier twill shirt - M&S / TM Lewin will have these
    3. Get a waistcoat.

Do not wear a t shirt under your shirt. Or a vest.

Ha ha!! No you shouldn't.

Thanks for giving me a laugh Tickers.

I think you'll find that proper etiquette stipulates that you should.

Have I just given you that moment where you realised you've been something wrong your whole life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jasper Conran in Debenhams.

Don't wear a tshirt under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Thanks all. Except the ‘why did you get a tattoo brigade’. I also got a c0ck ring but I won’t be waving it around the work canteen. 😂🀣😂🀣.

Anyway I’m a groomsman and the groom has unfortunately decided against a waistcoat which would have been ideal because I love a smart waistcoat.

Twill shirt is probably the info I need so I’ll chase one of those down. Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.

So you get a tattoo on your back that you cannot see but you don't want anyone else to see it either!

I use the tattoo as a gauge. I’m not bothered if it’s visible 24hrs a day on a normal day but at a wedding it’s a little different. If it can barely be seen it means the shirt is thick enough to not be basically see through.
    You know when you see some guy wearing a shirt and you can see his nipples, freckles and chest hairs. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

Have I just given you that moment where you realised you've been something wrong your whole life?

Ha ha ha!! Seriously stop it, you're making me spill my coffee.

Completely off topic so please forgive me. I was prompted by the comment about not knowing our whole life.

Anyway my 13 year old daughter told me something the other day that I’ve made it to 43 without knowing.

She said cigarettes are called that because they’re little cigars. Cigar-ette

Mind blown!! Haha

Completely off topic so please forgive me. I was prompted by the comment about not knowing our whole life.

Anyway my 13 year old daughter told me something the other day that I’ve made it to 43 without knowing.

She said cigarettes are called that because they’re little cigars. Cigar-ette

Mind blown!! Haha

From the French. Just like vinegarette. Or rosette. Kitchenette. Etc.

Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.

Indeed. It's not good etiquette. Never has been, never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Some might like their nipples and chiselled, sweaty physique on show as the lesser men cower in fear hoping their under shirt covers their inadequacies.

Thanks all. Except the ‘why did you get a tattoo brigade’. I also got a c0ck ring but I won’t be waving it around the work canteen. ��������.

Anyway I’m a groomsman and the groom has unfortunately decided against a waistcoat which would have been ideal because I love a smart waistcoat.

Twill shirt is probably the info I need so I’ll chase one of those down. Also I never have and never will wear a garment under a shirt. Good etiquette or not I just think it looks silly.

It doesn't look silly because it's an undershirt and it's white, what does look silly is your chest hair and nipples sticking out of your shirt or people being able to see your tattoo through the shirt which is the reason you posted here in the first place. Do you wear underwear or do you go commando on that also? It's the same concept and you can always tell someone who is not used to wearing a suit regularly if they don't wear an undershirt. It makes you look like a novice because people can can see your skin through the fabric or if your nipples are sticking out. You also protect your shirt from the sweat stains under your arms. It's a classic beginners mistake and in Ireland we are terrible for it because we have very little sense of fashion and what is appropriate to wear at different occasions and different times of the year.

Do you wear underwear or do you go commando on that also? It's the same concept and you can always tell someone who is not used to wearing a suit regularly if they don't wear an undershirt. It makes you look like a novice because people can can see your skin through the fabric or if your nipples are sticking out. You also protect your shirt from the sweat stains under your arms. It's a classic beginners mistake and in Ireland we are terrible for it because we have very little sense of fashion and what is appropriate to wear at different occasions and different times of the year.

Yes I wear underwear. Are you coming on to me?

• Advertisement

Yes I wear underwear. Are you coming on to me?

Get a brooks brothers shirt.

I use the tattoo as a gauge.

To gauge what?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Try some white shirts in store at TK Maxx, unlike some other shops they have plenty of different brands and thickness etc.

To gauge what?

How see through the shirt will be.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Try some white shirts in TK Maxx, unlike some other shops they have plenty of different brands and thickness etc.

Depending on where the tattoo is, would a waistcoat help? M&S do cheap ones and I'm sure TK Maxx do too.

Forget the bargain basement TK Maxx. Every man should have a classic good quality white shirt in his wardrobe, it's worth the spend and you can use it for so many outfits and occasions.

and please don't be like those knuckle draggers who untie their bow/tie and take off their suit jacket towards the end of the night.

and please don't be like those knuckle draggers who untie their bow/tie and take off their suit jacket towards the end of the night.

Hear hear! Regardless of whether you are ready to pass out with the heat and the sweat is drippin off you keep on the jacket and the tie. I mean what if someone saw you on Instagram looking natural !

Hear hear! Regardless of whether you are ready to pass out with the heat and the sweat is drippin off you keep on the jacket and the tie. I mean what if someone saw you on Instagram looking natural !

Using that rationale, why would you even go to a wedding in a suit in the first place? Why go to a wedding or a black tie event only to remove your suit after you get there?

How see through the shirt will be.

Still can't figure out why you went to the bother & expense of getting a tattoo that nobody, including yourself, can see.

• Advertisement

Still can't figure out why you went to the bother & expense of getting a tattoo that nobody, including yourself, can see.

Yeah I don’t get why people get piercings. Weird isn’t it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement