Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

threeball wrote: »
    Time for all teams to threaten to strike unless the board is removed. That's Hurlers, footballers, camogie, the lot.

I don’t think a hurling strike would achieve anything for 2 reasons
    The Cunningham heave is still associated with this group
    Without a manager they are not being prepared effectively for next year anyway, a strike won’t impact this in a positive way

I think the senior players have a role to play in ensuring the best management team is recruited, and the first step there is probably working with Forde/Larkin to work through their issues. I know it’s different but Davy staying with Wexford seems to have been at least in part player influenced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Time for all teams to threaten to strike unless the board is removed. That's Hurlers, footballers, camogie, the lot.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what's a new board going to achieve that the existing one is failing at? Why is Kearney the purveyor of all evils? Really IMO there should be no connection between the teams' efforts on the playing fields and the composition of who's in charge at the top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what's a new board going to achieve that the existing one is failing at? Why is Kearney the purveyor of all evils? Really IMO there should be no connection between the teams' efforts on the playing fields and the composition of who's in charge at the top table.

Unless it hinders getting the best possible management team in place. It's obvious now that Donoghue's entire coaching staff have huge problems with Kearney. Now maybe a different management team wouldn't have but at this moment it seems like he's practically ran off the first management team to win Galway an All-Ireland in decades. Granted he seemingly wanted them to stay but they obviously found him intolerable to work with. Donoghue is as mild mannered a man as you could meet so you'd be doing well to frustrate him so much he would just up and leave like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s strange if you ask me that there isn’t a mention of the hurlers in either the tribune or the advertiser this week.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they were asked not to mention the saga and see would some dust settle

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Senior county final on Sunday, have Tuam any chance? To be honest I can't see past a Corofin win, they're not going to let the chance of a 7 in a row of county titles and a tilt at doing 3 in a row all Irelands slip. The new seated terrace in the stadium is going to be open which is great, they're expecting a big crowd. Not so great is the €20 they want for admission! Bit steep for a county final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ireland have a better chance of beating NZ tomorrow than Tuam have of overcoming Corofin. Probably neck and neck I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Senior county final on Sunday, have Tuam any chance? To be honest I can't see past a Corofin win, they're not going to let the chance of a 7 in a row of county titles and a tilt at doing 3 in a row all Irelands slip. The new seated terrace in the stadium is going to be open which is great, they're expecting a big crowd. Not so great is the €20 they want for admission! Bit steep for a county final.

€20 for two county finals and kids free is not bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

€20 is great value.
    €20 for the Irish soccer vs NZ is robbery 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Ireland have a better chance of beating NZ tomorrow than Tuam have of overcoming Corofin. Probably neck and neck I'd say.

If that's to be the case, then it's ominous for tuam.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

No one's questioning the players efforts but the prospective managers all obviously have issues, the outgoing managers had issues, joe canning said there's issues during the week. A new board is obviously needed when this many people have serious issues with their conduct. It's no inconceivable we head into the new year with no hurling manager and no sponsor. They even caused hassle with Pjs backroom team before he was appointed. Every indication is they're a shower of wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

RMAOK wrote: »
    If that's to be the case, then it's ominous for tuam.....

Not convinced it's a lost cause for Tuam at all. While it would be foolish to back against Corofin, Tuam are a very fit team while Corofin have arguably regressed during this year's championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not convinced it's a lost cause for Tuam at all. While it would be foolish to back against Corofin, Tuam are a very fit team while Corofin have arguably regressed during this year's championship.

Tuam have serious momentum built up

I could well be eating these words tomorrow but I actually think it'll be seriously close tomorrow.

Corofin have been carrying alot of injuries all year but I think they're starting to move through the gears now and have lads coming back in to the fold. Anything bar at least another Connaught would surprise me.

They'll be beat eventually but whether it's tomorrow remains to be seen

Will need the other team to have a flawless day in front of the posts, but for example if mbellew and salthill had buried a few of their good goal chances they could well have pulled it off

jr86 wrote: »
    They'll be beat eventually but whether it's tomorrow remains to be seen

Will need the other team to have a flawless day in front of the posts, but for example if mbellew and salthill had buried a few of their good goal chances they could well have pulled it off

And I hope they do but I would like to see them do the 3 all Irelands in a row. It would be great to have a Galway team achieve possibly the greatest feat in Gaelic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm a bit surprised tg4 aren't showing the country final live what with corofin being all - Ireland champions the last 2 years and going for 3 in a row... Would the county board have any say at all in whether such matches are televised live I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They haven't shown the football final in years. Don't even think they showed Mellows county title win and it was a standalone fixture iirc.

Salthill eat Caltra alive in minor

Get used to it folks, when you have a ridiculous pick like they do at underage, and two huge residential suburbs, they'll be romping to minor titles for years and years to come.

Aiming for their 7th westboard in a row next year

I'm a bit surprised tg4 aren't showing the country final live what with corofin being all - Ireland champions the last 2 years and going for 3 in a row... Would the county board have any say at all in whether such matches are televised live I wonder?

Very strange - especially given the 7 in a row story, and Tuam of all teams the side that lies in their way

Very strange - especially given the 7 in a row story, and Tuam of all teams the side that lies in their way
    I suppose they're catering more to the gaelic speakers by showing the Donegal final

• Advertisement

Salthill eat Caltra alive in minor

Get used to it folks, when you have a ridiculous pick like they do at underage, and two huge residential suburbs, they'll be romping to minor titles for years and years to come.

Aiming for their 7th westboard in a row next year

Themselves and Claregalway are the coming forces. Ridiculous numbers similar in ways to some of the Dublin superclubs. Not a route we should look to follow. They should look to split some of these clubs once they surpass a certain level.

Themselves and Claregalway are the coming forces. Ridiculous numbers similar in ways to some of the Dublin superclubs. Not a route we should look to follow. They should look to split some of these clubs once they surpass a certain level.

Fully agree

Claregalway's population has grown so much they had to implement a massive secondary school to cater for the area

A Turloughmore and/or Carnmore football team would be a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Fully agree

Claregalway's population has grown so much they had to implement a massive secondary school to cater for the area

A Turloughmore and/or Carnmore football team would be a huge help.

Football is in Claregalway, Hurling is in Turloughmore and Carnmore

Not sure Turloughmore footballers typically play in Claregalway anyway?

JJJackal wrote: »
    Football is in Claregalway, Hurling is in Turloughmore and Carnmore

Not sure Turloughmore footballers typically play in Claregalway anyway?

I know...

However, I was suggesting that a football club could also be implemented in one of those hurling areas, as the pick Claregalway have (incorporating both those areas PLUS Claregalway, and out the Tuam road towards Castlegar/Briar Hill etc.) just cannot be sustainable going forward

A few Turlough lads would play with Monivea over the years, but from what I understand they basically all play with CG at underage anymore. Would ya blame them, plenty of county medals to be won!

Liam Silke has probably taken his last penalty at the top level :)

Looks like they could start to pull away now

Penalty Tuam!

Massive!!

Tuam have them on the ropes... Lundy lucky there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

the stars were robbed

Will Corofin ever be feckin beat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit