Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Wifi 3 pack - £199 Amazon

• 03-10-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Typically, just days after I'd received mine for €285 on Google's 21% off deal, Amazon have these on offer now at £199.

Took just 30 mins to get these configured and tested out. Give a solid signal throughout a 2 storey block built house, synced up with existing broadband modem no problem.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Typically, just days after I'd received mine for €285 on Google's 21% off deal, Amazon have these on offer now at £199.

Took just 30 mins to get these configured and tested out. Give a solid signal throughout a 2 storey block built house, synced up with existing broadband modem no problem.

Good spot op. I managed to just buy them for £189.05 with Irish vat. It discounted another £14.92 at checkout for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was just going to post this after getting a price alert. I just setup TP-Link Deco 3 part last week which I bought largely due to the lower price of £165:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071241G3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would definitely have stretched for the Google version as it had some good extra features and parental control integration via their Family Link app.

It's a really good price compared to the retail £330. These are Wifi 5 (802.11ac). I suspect the price drop means there will soon be a newer version supporting Wifi 6 (802.11ax).

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

I have no clue about these, do you use alongside the router supplied by your provider or instead of?

I have a family member who has tried various wifi extenders but cannot manage to get coverage throughout his house. Speeds are excellent in the room where the router is (fibre broadband but provider fitted it in the sunroom which is at one extremity of the house which has hollowcore floors throughout.

Is it worth trying these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Only problem is they wont ship for 2-5 weeks in such time you'll have to pay import duty on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

In Argos for €240, order for collection - €15/20 difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Do these work with Vodafone Siro? Coverage in the back of my house isn't great so looks like a good option if it's compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Should work with any existing router. Just plug the WAN port of the Google WiFi into the LAN port of your router. Preferably disable WiFi on your router.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Do these work with Vodafone Siro? Coverage in the back of my house isn't great so looks like a good option if it's compatible.
    Yes they will work with SIRO.

Recommend setting the VF router in bridge mode(only if not using vf phone/tv package).

My head is melted with the WiFi on Virgin, so might have to invest. The only thing is I don't know whether I need 2 or 3 to cover my house.

Argos have:
    - 3 pack for €240
    - Dual pack for €180
    - Single pack for €85

Which makes it cheaper for 2 singles than the dual pack. I'm thinking with a standard 4 bed semi-detached, 2 would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Basil3 wrote: »
    My head is melted with the WiFi on Virgin, so might have to invest. The only thing is I don't know whether I need 2 or 3 to cover my house.

Argos have:
    - 3 pack for €240
    - Dual pack for €180
    - Single pack for €85

Which makes it cheaper for 2 singles than the dual pack. I'm thinking with a standard 4 bed semi-detached, 2 would be enough?

Depend on where your internet comes into the house.
    Mine came the front corner of the sitting room (SIRO) so I had one there attached to the Siro router, one in hall in center of house and one in the office upstairs at the back of the house.

One thing to note with these is because they are only dual band and not tri band (no dedicated channel for backhaul to the master node), it would work out cheaper with a decent router and a couple of wifi extenders doing the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Picked up a two pack for under €100 in Currys last year.. they were on clearance, and they've made a massive difference!

Well worth investing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Basq wrote: »
    Picked up a two pack for under €100 in Currys last year.. they were on clearance, and they've made a massive difference!

Well worth investing in!

70e iirc, I picked up a third in this deal as my man cave at back of house still is a bit patchy at times signal wise

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Consistency

new version of these to be announced 15th October at google event called Google nest wifi

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20870701/google-nest-wifi-beacons-assistant-smart-speakers-home-mini-october

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Raymond Murray

If you bought them on amazon you could return them and buy them a second time at the new price.

Advertisement