Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query re: late marriage

• 30-07-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I've been sorting out some family papers, and find that my grandparents (inner city Dubliners, tradesman-level working class, catholic) married six weeks before the birth of their eldest son.

I understand that this wasn't terribly unusual but another detail makes me wonder. My grandfather's older brother died at Gallipoli a month before the wedding. I'm now wondering whether he was actually the father of the child. Has anyone heard of a situation where a wedding to save the 'good name' of a woman happened in a similar circumstance?

Also, two related questions - does anyone know how long an interval there usually was between a war death and the notification to the family? And does anyone know of a way to establish the locations of a serving soldier - ie when he was on leave as opposed to with the army?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fold3 often has the leave details. If you want to PM me the name and rough details I can have a look later tonight if you like.

Going to k.d. lang ....woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

spurious wrote: »
    Going to k.d. lang ....woohoo!

Haven't seen her for years. I'm off to Youtube now to catch up. Enjoy! (Sorry this is off topic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Thank you so much for the offer - I've forwarded the details I have. It is a slightly complicated story, but the dead at Gallipoli thing is stark and simple.

Advertisement