Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Limerick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Get up early and go to Kilkee for the day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Burren is only an hour away, there are some amazing walks and historic sites there, all free. Provided you have a car to get ye there, of course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RonMexico wrote: »
    Get up early and go to Kilkee for the day.

Now commonly referred to as the "Bay of Pigs" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Try the indoor crazy golf in Castletroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

most of the suggestions are all outside Limerick. Does that show how little there is to do in Limerick city bar going to the pub...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So sez somebody living in "fantasy land" ;):D
    But he's right. There is really very little to do in the city. All the best activites in Limerick are in the county e.g. Mountain biking in Ballyhoura, Celtic Gardens in Kilcornan, Lough Gur, hill climbing at Knockfierna.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

grenache wrote: »
    But he's right. There is really very little to do in the city. All the best activites in Limerick are in the county e.g. Mountain biking in Ballyhoura, Celtic Gardens in Kilcornan, Lough Gur, hill climbing at Knockfierna.
    There's very little to do in mosti Irish city centres. Most of the stuff in Dublin is in the suburbs, the only difference being the suburbs in Dublin aren't detached from the city as they just roll into one another.

Indoor golf as mentioned above, day in the gym/sauna at the University Arena, pool/bowling at Fun World, snooker in St. Michaels, Hunt Museum, National Self-Portrait Collection at UL. I'm sure there's more, but being local doesn't give you much perspective as you just take it for granted things are there and never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Curragh Chase - nice walks
    Cratloe Woods - nice walks - bike trails.
    Bunratty Castle & Folk Park.
    Cragganowen
    Clare Glens - also good spot for walking about.

Curragh Chase - nice walks
    Cratloe Woods - nice walks - bike trails.
    Bunratty Castle & Folk Park.
    Cragganowen
    Clare Glens - also good spot for walking about.

again, none of those in Limerick!! Plus you can't spend an entire day at the Clare Glens, or in the Hunt Museum.

Jaysus, I recall Rome, I know it's comparing chalk and cheese, but there was plenty to do that never involved a museum or a pub..

Maybe the Belltable if there's something on there..?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Kess73 wrote: »
    Try the indoor crazy golf in Castletroy.

I've been in UL 4 years and i've never heard of this place, must check it out when i go back again. From the website it looks very good

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    again, none of those in Limerick!! Plus you can't spend an entire day at the Clare Glens, or in the Hunt Museum.

Jaysus, I recall Rome, I know it's comparing chalk and cheese, but there was plenty to do that never involved a museum or a pub..

Maybe the Belltable if there's something on there..?

The first one I mentioned is in Limerick (County). You could go to the Hunt Museum or maybe King Johns Castle.

Lounge around drinking in the peoples park (i hear its very popular with the locals)

And you dont have to drink (alcohol) if you go to a public house. Dolans have trad sessions.

There is lots of things to do in Limerick if you are a tourist. Plus lot more things to do - open your eyes and you would be surprised. The advantage to Limerick is that there are many things to do from Limerick - as in visit Clare, Cork and Kerry as they are all in close proximity!

The first one I mentioned is in Limerick (County). You could go to the Hunt Museum or maybe King Johns Castle.

Lounge around drinking in the peoples park (i hear its very popular with the locals)

And you dont have to drink (alcohol) if you go to a public house. Dolans have trad sessions.

There is lots of things to do in Limerick if you are a tourist. Plus lot more things to do - open your eyes and you would be surprised. The advantage to Limerick is that there are many things to do from Limerick - as in visit Clare, Cork and Kerry as they are all in close proximity!

I'm talking about Limerick city. i was in Cork city last Sat afternoon. Completely different vibe there..The city centre is getting awful quiet with shops closing etc. In fairness there's not a whole lot going on there, and I won't let the Limerick Post heads tell me otherwise...

You could go and get your haircut by celebrity hairdresser Niall...

Some things I do with my OH that wouldn't fill a day bit will while away an hour or two...

The Georgian House in Pery Square is worth a visit.

Browsing the market on a saturday morning.

The canal walk.

A picnic in front of the white house in UL, lovely views.

The walk down clancy strand is lovely and on a good day it's a nice place to spend a while sitting on the benches.

When I had an apartment with no garden I used to spend a fair bit of time in people's park with a frisbie or a newspaper.

Bowling on the ennis rd, they used to do student rates on weekdays I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Limerick has go karting and paintball

The Karting and paintball in Limerick are renowned country wide and attract groups from all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Paulegend wrote: »
    thought we where talkin city not county and u need a car to get there

Where in Dublin, Cork or Galway can you go paintballing in the city?

thought we where talkin city not county and u need a car to get there

Like was said before me - can you show me where facilities for paintball could be found smack bang in Dublin City Centre??

We used to have Laser/Quaser - was really good fun but a bit of health hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

Walking again but how about trying out the Angela's Ashes Walking Tour? Or going to King John's Castle? It's amazing the amount of Limerick natives that haven't done any of the above. Now's your chance, you're young with a bit of free time on your hands and you'll learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Roadend wrote: »
    Where in Dublin, Cork or Galway can you go paintballing in the city?

soryy about the late reply but i went for a nap:D ok my previous 2 posts where just to get a reaction:P but here i have a link of every paintballing facilty in ireland.

look at Dublin and zoom in baby. there is paintball only couple blocks from pheonix park:D its hard being right ALL the time lol

http://www.paintballer.ie/map_sites.php

i also have a map of go karting. didnt know we had a second. think ill head there the weekend:D

http://www.goireland.com/ireland/go-karting-in-ireland-page1.htm

now listen in serious fashion. this city is cool i love it but its boring if your a kid. i grew up here and yes we had laser tag about 12 years ago but it gone. but ennis and galway have one i know of. galway is a short stroll from a beach and permanent amusement park. dublin have buses that go out as far as kildare so getting to beaches and other go karting/paintball facilities is easier we dont have the luxury. cork has fota island but you cant go there every week. they would think your going to kkill the animals or yourself:D

anymore questions ??????????

look at Dublin and zoom in baby. there is paintball only couple blocks from pheonix park:D its hard being right ALL the time lol

http://www.paintballer.ie/map_sites.php

i also have a map of go karting. didnt know we had a second. think ill head there the weekend:D

http://www.goireland.com/ireland/go-karting-in-ireland-page1.htm

Maybe you should have stayed asleep - paintballer.ie is a supply shop (you would know that if you actually looked at the website)

Everything else is miles out of the city

Any questions????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

from a beach and permanent amusement park. dublin have buses that go out as far as kildare so getting to beaches and other go karting/paintball facilities is easier we dont have the luxury. cork has fota island but you cant go there every week. they would think your going to kkill the animals or yourself:D

Yes. I have one.

How good are the beaches in Kildare?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Yes. I have one.

How good are the beaches in Kildare?

beaches are in dublin thje posh part:D

buses go out as far as kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Maybe you should have stayed asleep - paintballer.ie is a supply shop (you would know that if you actually looked at the website)

Everything else is miles out of the city

Any questions????

Actually if you looked at the website while your self you would see that paintballer.ie is an online discussion forum for all of ireland and not a supply shop. ;) The link that was posted above was a map for all the points of paintball interest in Ireland

The closest paintball to dublin city is Urban Paintball. The No. 16 bus will leave you right out side of it. I would recommend Barrage Paintball or Frontier Paintball though for a fun day out.

As for paintball in Limerick, Combat Zone is the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

krudler wrote: »
    How exactly? althought some sort of scumbag catapult would be a worthy investment if such a device existed

Depends what your into really, for example a few years ago a few guys were tired of there being no good gigs on in town so they set up the AMC and booked bands to come. Mick Dolan realised there was no decent music venue and set one up, Tom Shortt and few others campaigned for a skate park.

If you want things in this town, don't sit around online and whine about it, organise something yourself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you want things in this town, don't sit around online and whine about it, organise something yourself.

We've already filled our quota of these types...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An File wrote: »
    We've already filled our quota of these types...

;)

Condescending high horse riders too ;) plenty of them on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

krudler wrote: »
    Condescending high horse riders too ;) plenty of them on here

Not really, I don't see the point in bitching about things, if you don't like something, change it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Not really, I don't see the point in bitching about things, if you don't like something, change it or leave it.

It's good to bitch about things as long as it is followed by some sort of positive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

Metal gig in Baker Place tonight (Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TimeonmyHands

Think it would be worth while referencing the Limerick Post....lists all weekend events in the various/club, places to eat, planned events for weekends.
    I've lived in Limerick city for 16 years...still discovering parts of it I haven't seen before. Have the advantage of living with a non national who seems to discover places that I hadn't heard of.
    Went exploring an old castle out the Kilmallock Road last weekend (had seen it on numerous occasions but had never gotten around to getting to explore it until the suggestion came from my non national housemate)...it was amazing with spectular views from the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Think it would be worth while referencing the Limerick Post....lists all weekend events in the various/club, places to eat, planned events for weekends.

No it really isn't worth it, because as was mentioned there are very few things to do in Limerick next to going to Nancy's to get ready for going to "d'Icon".
    I've lived in Limerick city for 16 years...still discovering parts of it I haven't seen before. Have the advantage of living with a non national who seems to discover places that I hadn't heard of.

We must live in 2 completely different cities geographical locations.
    Went exploring an old castle out the Kilmallock Road last weekend (had seen it on numerous occasions but had never gotten around to getting to explore it until the suggestion came from my non national housemate)...it was amazing with spectular views from the top.

What did you do after you had exhausted that experience?.... ....went home probably because there is nothing to do in Limerick.
    I was just going to call Limerick a city but its not it's just three suburbs with a very run down villagesque center. Sorry for the rant but I just spent another weekend with absolutely nothing to do and I'm about to crack!

Advertisement