Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting from Limerick City Centre to Gaelic Grounds??

• 15-04-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Could anyone please tell me how to get from Limerick City to the Gaelic Grounds Stadium,as I will be going to the Allianz HL Semis this Sunday.

Would it be far to walk,or would there be any bus services going there on the day?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

It's about a 20-25 minute walk.Most direct route is to walk over the Shannon (old Briddge to the natives) & keep walking on the Ennis Road.The Stadium will be on your right hand side.You'll pass the likes of the JFK School & Limerick Lawn tennis club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Seasan wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Could anyone please tell me how to get from Limerick City to the Gaelic Grounds Stadium,as I will be going to the Allianz HL Semis this Sunday.

Would it be far to walk,or would there be any bus services going there on the day?

Many thanks in advance.

Id recommend walking it. You will get there in 15-20 minutes from city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

sleepyman wrote: »
    It's about a 20-25 minute walk.Most direct route is to walk over the Shannon (old Briddge to the natives) & keep walking on the Ennis Road.The Stadium will be on your right hand side.You'll pass the likes of the JFK School & Limerick Lawn tennis club.

Sorry for buggin you again :-( .....
    Can you tell me whereabouts the Ennis Road is? Tis just that I'm really only familiar with the city centre.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Seasan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.

It's more or less a straight route out to the Gaelic grounds. I've a Google maps route linked below, it starts off on the junction where Brown Tomas/Debanhams/Keane's Jewellers is. (follow the red arrow)

https://goo.gl/maps/3KjaE

jucnt1.png

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

h3000 wrote: »
    It's more or less a straight route out to the Gaelic grounds. I've a Google maps route linked below, it starts off on the junction where Brown Tomas/Debanhams/Keane's Jewellers is. (follow the red arrow)

https://goo.gl/maps/3KjaE

jucnt1.png
    Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

While it's a straight route, think of it more like a scene out of the old Shinobi arcade game...

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

seachto7 wrote: »
    While it's a straight route, think of it more like a scene out of the old Shinobi arcade game...

:D
    Blue and Red ninjas everywhere? God I loved that game!

OP, as the others said, it's a short enough walk out.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

:D
    Blue and Red ninjas everywhere? God I loved that game!

OP, as the others said, it's a short enough walk out.

Can't walk for ninja's some days. Don't get me started on the italian plumber jumping on those poor turtles. Or were they tortoises? Is tortoises a real word? Spell check says so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Blue and red tracksuits yeah. They have the ninja stars tucked into the socks..! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

its a 15 minute MAX walk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Parchment wrote: »
    its a 15 minute MAX walk!

That is some pace to cover the 2700M in 15 minutes..

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    That is some pace to cover the 2700M in 15 minutes..

Really? I must be a fast walker! A friend lives right out beside the grounds and i can be there from Debenhams in 15 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Parchment wrote: »
    Really? I must be a fast walker! A friend lives right out beside the grounds and i can be there from Debenhams in 15 mins!

watch out Rob Heffernan! :P

Ah come on! its not that far. stick on the tackies and off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The OP is coming from the train station and will be walking with a group, to a match. Not walking on their own with no congestion on the streets/road. If they do it in less than 30 minutes I would be surprised, but it shouldn't take them much longer and that is taking it easy. Personally, it would take me about two hours, but that would include a detour into the Ardhu.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Google says 32 minutes.

https://goo.gl/maps/d65D2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I've done that walk a few times, minimum of 20 minutes from city centre unless you walk really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If you're walking from the station, it's probably quicker to go down Mallow Street and cross the JFK bridge (a.k.a. The Shannon Bridge, a.k.a. The New Bridge), take the first right, third left (at traffic lights) and walk for about 1km and it's on your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I've walked it a few times in the last few weeks, going to the Limerick minor game, and senior hurling & football. It generally takes me about 15-20 minutes, it's a handy walk in fairness.

That said, I was on my own those times, and obviously I'm going to be quicker than a group walking. And I've seen more than a few people detour into the Ardhu too, but I mean you're literally across the road by the time you get there.

Getting tickets quickly has been a problem lately, even for smaller attendance games, the queues have been big. And I'd nearly expect the attendance this weekend to be even bigger again, it's reasonably accessible to all the teams and there'll be a fair few neutrals. I'll be there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

anyone know expected attendance for these matches. living locally and trying to work out if I'm housebound for the day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

anyone know expected attendance for these matches. living locally and trying to work out if I'm housebound for the day?

Max 15,000 I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

OP could always get the 302 from Henry Street if they didn't feel like walking (or it is raining), I'm fairly sure it goes near the Ennis Road.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855300-Limerick-City-Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

The 343 to shannon from harveys quay (possibly the station?) should drop you off just before the Gaelic Grounds (by centra)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Rightwing wrote: »
    Max 15,000 I would say.

I'd say it will be over 20k. Clare are on a high and will travel in big numbers and Kilkenny are really supporting in big numbers this year - at one of their league games in Nolan Park a few weeks ago the main stand was full with over an hour to throw in. Galway will be the only team with small support I think

Advertisement