Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Work Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Roquentin wrote: »
    i am not one of those dole scroungers as well. I want to work and do a solid up at six finish at 4 days work. Nothing going though. Having said that i have got into rhythm with regards not working. Still though wish i could work

I've the energy of a bull. I can't do this unemployed lark for much longer but I'm blue in the face from applying to places on a constant basis and hearing nothing back. It's desperate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Good jobs websites lads? Already applied for everything on FAS, Jobs, and Live95 Jobline and indeed has nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

The Snipe wrote: »
    Good jobs websites lads? Already applied for everything on FAS, Jobs, and Live95 Jobline and indeed has nothing.

same with me.

nothing going man

• Registered Users Posts: 12 girl9999

common question: why in aldi and lidl the staff is only polish? they dont hire irish or other nationalities?

girl9999 wrote: »
    common question: why in aldi and lidl the staff is only polish? they dont hire irish or other nationalities?

They do and that's not a common question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 girl9999

They do and that's not a common question
    there are just a few irish

there are just a few irish

And a few English, Polish, Dutch, Nigerian, French, German, Australian, Chinese, Indian etc.

I could be here all day naming out the various nationalities I've seen working in Lidl Ireland. My own local Lidl has many Irish working there

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neko_neko_chan

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not true, worked there last year,
    Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Irish would be definitely in the minority there..per head of population id say there is definitely and under representation of Irish staff.. Im not sure why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

padma wrote: »
    Irish would be definitely in the minority there..per head of population id say there is definitely and under representation of Irish staff.. Im not sure why

I would imagine that Aldi and Lidl hire the best candidates who apply. It's in their interest to do so.

Perhaps Irish people don't apply, for whatever reason. Or perhaps Irish people do apply, but they are not considered the best. Or perhaps it's not true that Irish people are under-represented on their staff.

Whatever the case, I've always found the staff in those stores to be excellent, irrespective of nationality.

I never said anything about their skills or lack thereof or how great or bad I found the staff. I just stated that yes, there would in the main be non nationals working in those stores. Your theory seems plausible..Another theory could be somewhere in the hiring there may or may not be a bias towards having a majority non national multicultural culture there.

I would find it hard to believe however that there is a lack of retail Irish staff skilled enough to work there, but, who knows. Though if its 20% non nationals in the country maybe having 80% non national staff COULD suggest a bias.

Either way I love Lidl, find it great value..Staff are overworked, can be a bit of a queue at the counter but am used to it nowadays anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

Hi Guys, Can anyone advise on how I could access the university of Limerick from Dublin, I intend travelling by Train. I'm asking particularly which of the stops I'm to get off.

Thank you.

SirBorbey wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Can anyone advise on how I could access the university of Limerick from Dublin, I intend travelling by Train. I'm asking particularly which of the stops I'm to get off.

Thank you.

You're probably better off travelling by bus. You'll be there quicker and it's much cheaper. The bus (www.dublincoach.ie) will drop you at the university.

If you must travel by train, then go all the way to Limerick (Colbert) Station, and you can get a taxi from there, or you can walk to William Street (about 1km away) and get a bus to the university.

But, really, the bus is your best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

Many thanks Zulu. Really helpful- particularly as I could get the bus straight up to the Uni.

Cheers!

No probs. Enjoy UL and Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Does anyone work in the Library?

I am looking for ancestor records.

How close is the cemetry to the train station?

Thanks

gladrags wrote: »
    Does anyone work in the Library?

I am looking for ancestor records.

How close is the cemetry to the train station?

Thanks

I don't work in the library, but have found these guys helpful http://irisharc.org/ they are on o connell street and I was able to see how much my great great great grandfather had to pay to his Landlord during the famine.

there are many cemeteries in Limerick, which are you looking for?

I don't work in the library, but have found these guys helpful http://irisharc.org/ they are on o connell street and I was able to see how much my great great great grandfather had to pay to his Landlord during the famine.

there are many cemeteries in Limerick, which are you looking for?

Mount St Lawrence.

I will check out your source.

Thanks

i'd say a 20/25 minute walk tops.

• Advertisement

i'd say a 20/25 minute walk tops.

Thank's again.

My ancestors came from the city.

Great Great grandfather fought in the Crimean war,born in St Michaels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Any civil engineering jobs coming near Limerick or surrounding counties? Or where to look/apply besides the usual job sites? Brother just finished up in a job in Dublin and is desperate for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dr. Phil

Hi all, i am currently looking for any time of full time work in the limerick region, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Dr. Phil wrote: »
    Hi all, i am currently looking for any time of full time work in the limerick region, any suggestions?

Argos/dunnes/boots would all have season work coming up at the moment. Also costa coffee is opening soon on cruises street.

no offense but id say costa will be inundated with CVs, easily about 500.

i myself moved to limerick to find work and havent even got a sniff other than a jobbridge. the brother who was based in limerick decided he had enough and emigrated and found work straight away.

it depends on what work one is looking for, but the minimum wage market is saturated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Costa advertised for staff long ago- early September I think. Most the Christmas temp work hiring has happened now too....

with regards MW jobs i wouldnt get my hopes up. Its at a stage now where i hand in CVs or send them off knowing full well i wont hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rodalbo

hey guys, i woundering if someone can tell me more about limerick, i'm a brazilian and i'm in Dublin already around 8 years but my fiance and i we are thinking in move to limerick , we've been on this city a few times , how is for job opportunities ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Depends on what jobs you are looking for

• Advertisement

rodalbo wrote: »
    hey guys, i woundering if someone can tell me more about limerick, i'm a brazilian and i'm in Dublin already around 8 years but my fiance and i we are thinking in move to limerick , we've been on this city a few times , how is for job opportunities ?

It depends what kind of jobs you're looking for. In general, jobs are still quite scarce, but if you can get one Limerick is a much better place to live than Dublin, in my opinion.

Advertisement