Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on selling?

• 21-10-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Thinking of selling a 60GB PS3, that can play PS2 games. Apart from a very loud fan it's in perfect working order, reads games and blu-ray films just fine and was updated to the latest firmware without trouble.

Couple of questions, Should I be worried about the loud fan? How much would be fair for it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Wing126 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thinking of selling a 60GB PS3, that can play PS2 games. Apart from a very loud fan it's in perfect working order, reads games and blu-ray films just fine and was updated to the latest firmware without trouble.

Couple of questions, Should I be worried about the loud fan? How much would be fair for it?
    Thanks.

The fans are there to cool down the PS3 - loud fans means they're working overtime to keep system cool.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch it - it's indicative of overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

F1ngers wrote: »

The fans are there to cool down the PS3 - loud fans means they're working overtime to keep system cool.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch it - it's indicative of overheating.

Have to say Im not fully behind the loud fan = breakdown. I have my original ps3 and its been loud since day one once it's been running about 30mins or on come the fans. Never had an ounce of trouble with it. I'm sure loud fans do mean over heating just not sure it means that on ps3 I remember reading that all ps3 were loud at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Generally what I've seen from some research is what you guys both said. I will give it a bit of a clean and see how it goes.

Generally what I've seen from some research is what you guys both said. I will give it a bit of a clean and see how it goes.

If it hasn't given you any bother then you have to take it that it's fine. Obviously age and wear and tear come into it so it could belly up at anytime. Mine was loud from the start so I have no reason to think mine will belly up but if yours was quite before and just started been loud then there might be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Turn your PS3 upside down, then power it on, that will clear the fans

Alternatively, get some spray air

• Advertisement

I was planning on using a low powered hoover to remove the dust. Everything i've found about cleaning the dust is 50/50 on that subject. Some people say if you're going to use compressed air, to remove the top first, to make sure the dust is blown out instead of in.

I was planning on using a low powered hoover to remove the dust. Everything i've found about cleaning the dust is 50/50 on that subject. Some people say if you're going to use compressed air, to remove the top first, to make sure the dust is blown out instead of in.

If you have had no problems with it and it's never been repaired just sell it as is. I mean it's working fine for you and never tampered with why try things that might break it. I keep mine on a shelf and dust it as I dust everything else like I said mines been making the same loud noise since day one. Unless are you selling it purely because it's started to act funny and the loudness is new?. With something like this at 6yrs old anybody buying it would be taking a risk anyway, how can you know if it's going to break unless you knew sonethinh was wrong with it before you sold it then that would be underhanded. Otherwise stick it on adverts and try for the best price use eBay and adverts to see what the going rate is for ones sold.

Nah, I'm selling it because it's been unused for the last three years. But anyway, thanks very much for the replies guys. I'll give it a dusting and put it up on adverts to sell as is.

Once again, thanks! A mod can close this thread now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Closed as per OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement