Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Crawl - Breathing?

• 28-04-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Bit of back round to show what level i'm at.....
    I recently had a shoulder operation and have been giving the all clear and advised by consultant and physio to include swimming into my current physio excercise routine. The front crawl/freestyle was recommended. Done a couple of lengths in Carlisle Gym/pool there the other night. Had to stop every two lenghts partly because of shoulder being sore but I mainly think I was out of breath rather than physically tired if that makes sense. Not sure if the breathing style is wrong or mabye just not used to it yet. I can swim OK but never swam many lenghts in a row. I was breathing every 3 strokes. I noticed in the pool people breathing every two/three/four strokes.

Which would be the best for a beginner thats going really slow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Without seeing you swim, its pretty hard to make a definite call on this, but I'd recommend starting with a breath every 3 strokes, stick with that for 5 or 6 sessions, then try it on 5.
    Reason being : At the start, to get your cardio up, you'll need to be able to tough it out over a longish session without getting tired or crampy, once you've gotten the hang of that, then breathing on every 5th stroke will raise the demand on your body a little bit.
    Stick to a slow pace, 25-30 seconds per 25m length to start with, but definitely try to get 20-40 lengths per session. Build it up as you go. Keep us posted if you have any dramas

• Registered Users Posts: 17 woozyeyes

Thanks for the info. Sounds good... Will give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I have problems with the whole breathing thing doing the front crawl as well, swallowing water!I don't know why i can't master it. Now i just stick to the breast stroke as the breathing is easier and i think my legs are stronger and do most of the work. Would love to improve my front crawl though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do these with a kickboard to start with, as you get comfortable with them, lose the board. It'll sort it out

Catch up drill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CzreTKhw8k&NR=1

High Elbow drill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-5boeNlKI

Pull & Breathe drill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YpaRkivh8

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

From when I was thought it's every three strokes, but i find it annoying/difficult switching side for the breath and instead do every 2. It's up to yourself in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

From when I was thought it's every three strokes, but i find it annoying/difficult switching side for the breath and instead do every 2. It's up to yourself in the end
    +1
    its whatever suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

woozyeyes wrote: »
    Bit of back round to show what level i'm at.....
    I recently had a shoulder operation and have been giving the all clear and advised by consultant and physio to include swimming into my current physio excercise routine. The front crawl/freestyle was recommended. Done a couple of lengths in Carlisle Gym/pool there the other night. Had to stop every two lenghts partly because of shoulder being sore but I mainly think I was out of breath rather than physically tired if that makes sense. Not sure if the breathing style is wrong or mabye just not used to it yet. I can swim OK but never swam many lenghts in a row. I was breathing every 3 strokes. I noticed in the pool people breathing every two/three/four strokes.

Which would be the best for a beginner thats going really slow?

Woozyeyes, how you getting on with the swimming? If you're struggling at first its just down to lack of pool time & like anything else it takes time to get use to the different training enviroment. If you've never swam many lengths in a row I'd suggest you start easy interval training have a look at this programme for example, it's a nice easy split to get you started which has a follow up programme linked on the site.. http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html
    susanroth wrote: »
    I have problems with the whole breathing thing doing the front crawl as well, swallowing water!I don't know why i can't master it. Now i just stick to the breast stroke as the breathing is easier and i think my legs are stronger and do most of the work. Would love to improve my front crawl though

Susan, this is down to bad technique/timing which you'd need time in the pool either in swim classes or a decent instructor to help you better your technique. If your swallowing water you're not getting your face out of the water on your side roll

Guys your not wrong at all BUT (just to let you know) the reason for every 3/5/odd number strokes is for muscle balance &body balance/alignment while swimming. If you swim distance to 1 side you'll fatigue the muscles quicker & overtime you'll have 1 side of your neck stronger then the other. It also helps with rotation in your body which aids in power & balance in freestyle. Just taking the 1st article from google as its late but it explains it better then I can.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/swim/swimming-bi-lateral-breathing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Burkatron wrote: »
    Guys your not wrong at all BUT (just to let you know) the reason for every 3/5/odd number strokes is for muscle balance &body balance/alignment while swimming. If you swim distance to 1 side you'll fatigue the muscles quicker & overtime you'll have 1 side of your neck stronger then the other. It also helps with rotation in your body which aids in power & balance in freestyle. Just taking the 1st article from google as its late but it explains it better then I can.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/swim/swimming-bi-lateral-breathing

So thats the reason, good job for clearing that up. I might start to force myself to do 3 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

try practicing to your week side for a while and then go back to bilatural breathing. Being able to breath to each side also handy if you ever plan on doing much swimming in the sea so you can breath coast side and not get a wave in the mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 iron_man

All the above is good info,

I have been teaching swimming lessons for a long time now, and everybody that looks for lessons seem to struggle with getting the front crawl breathing! there are different ways to do things and everyone has different ideas when it comes to the front crawl breathing. Mine are as follows..

1. Body position is very important; level, straight and on top of the water.

2. nice long arm strokes; the longer the better.

3. try to learn to breath every 3rd stroke (initially or any odd number or to the right side for one length and then vise-versa for the next length): bi-lateral breathing helps to balance the body and if you do lots of swimming, you may end up with swimmers shoulder ( which is caused from putting too much pressure on one side constantly, you do need to be doing a good bit of swimming tho).

4. if you decide to breath on the 3rd arm stroke, start to turn the head to the side at the same time as the 3rd arm pull, and turn to the same side as the 3rd arm pull. Never lift your head out of the water, keep the side of it in the water while breathing.

5. Breath out under the water, from either your nose or mouth or both together, but don't be afraid to blow out hard. ( the reason for breathing out under the water is so that you are not wasting time breathing out once your mouth has broke the surface of the water, you can do this under the water and it gives u more time to get a breath in).

6. Breath in through your mouth and not your nose.

7. Return your face to the water as the arm goes through the air.

Remember there is no substitute for a good instructor to show you drills and tell you what YOU need to do. start off slowly, use floats and practice one thing at a time and build up difficulty.

Remember that technique is everything in swimming and everyone can do it!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement