Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless Puncture cost

• 20-01-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Punctured front and rear tubeless on a pothole in Santry this evening.. Anyone know the rough cost of tubeless puncture repair..thanks Thinking of going back on the marathon plus after this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Darrener wrote: »
    Punctured front and rear tubeless on a pothole in Santry this evening.. Anyone know the rough cost of tubeless puncture repair..thanks Thinking of going back on the marathon plus after this

Any puncture I've had that wouldn't seal with sealant was fixed using a patch for an inner tube

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

Any puncture I've had that wouldn't seal with sealant was fixed using a patch for an inner tube

Thanks CantGetNoSleep

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I had to patch the inside of my tubeless tyres when they became leaky but I don't thing ordinary inner tube patches stick so well to the nylon tyre carcass, is there another type of tubeless tyre patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it a cut or just a hole too big to seal? For my debut tubeless ride, I put one of the kits with tubeless plugs in my saddle bag? One ride is my tubeless experience, but I was under the impression it was something I should carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My last one cost me:

70€ in a taxi home, leading me to sell the 400e tubeless wheelset for 150 quid, then buying a set of zonda for 350 quid and tubes and tyres for them, so...

€720 then:pac:

• Advertisement

Could you not have fitted normal tyres and tubes on the tubeless wheel set? I have done that now to 3 wheel sets that take tubeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Could you not have fitted normal tyres and tubes on the tubeless wheel set? I have done that now to 3 wheel sets that take tubeless.

I did yeah in the interim and then got a puncture out on the road another day and fcuk me if I was there still I couldn't have got the tyre back on. I was nearly home so I just clip-clop-cleated it home. -Actually, iirc I did a tube in and the tyre back on but I pinched the tube in the process and I didn't have another. Was a bad day for it anyway - cold, wet, sore hands, youtube-it's-all-about-the-technique advice ringing in my ears. Sometimes you need to just press reset. It was an interesting tubeless test while it lasted but for now I'm back to rolling with tubes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How often do you need to replace the sealant in the tyres? I've read six months, but is that just best practice?
    I should probably start carrying a spare tube just in case!

I make sure I can remove the tyre easily on the tubeless wheels before I go out for a spin. I can't use some of the old tubeless tyres as they are too tight but other normal tyres that have stretched a bit work fine. I try to avoid tyre levers. And it you centre the tyre in the valley in the middle of the rim it comes off easier.

Effects wrote: »
    I assumed that was a must? Like I said, only done one ride tubeless, but had a repair kit and left the tubes in the saddle bag. Admittedly that was gravelling rather than road.

• Advertisement

I guess I wasn't carrying a tube as I figured tubeless would work out ok for me!
    Riding in France with a relative, me tubeless and him standard, he got about 3 punctures in the space of two weeks.
    There's a vine in the area that's really sharp. I presumed it just didn't affect tubeless as it reseals automatically.

Starting to change my mind on tubeless!
    Went for a spin along the cliff path in sutton/howth yesterday.
    Picked up a thorn it seems, and wheel was flat this morning.
    Took a few trips to the local garage to get it pumped as my track pump just wouldn't cut it. Looking up a few options now, like the Schwalbe Tire Booster.
    Even though I got rid of the thorn, it's still leaking air and the sealant isn't working properly. So I'll pick up a repair kit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How often do you need to replace the sealant in the tyres? I've read six months, but is that just best practice?

Its a bit of an issue in our club....

Tubleless is the new in thing, everyones getting it, only half know how to repair a puncture or refill the sealant. Hands in the air, help me, can't do squat on group rides. Instances of punctures happening and no sealant being released.

Keep these in your saddlebag if you're running a tubeless system:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-emergency-tyre-boot-patch/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

bought a cube travel pro and they have tubeless tires. i haven't a clue how to maintain the tyres or reseal leaks/punctures. Could someone post some decent tutorial links/videos please. I heard that rear wheel tubeless punctures are a nightmare to fix/replace on a belt drive. Is this true ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

so i have this bike
    https://www.cube.eu/2020/bikes/tour/travel/cube-travel-pro-blacknbrown-2020-trapeze/
    and these tyres Schwalbe Marathon Almotion, Performance, Kevlar, 55-622. Are they tubless tyres ?

I suspect i don't have tubeless tyres, as they describe the rims as tubless ready. On reflection, probably the best thing for me. I'm better off with tried and trusted technology

ED E wrote: »
    Keep these in your saddlebag if you're running a tubeless system:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-emergency-tyre-boot-patch/

I've stuck regular patches on the inside of the tyre on my regular system, to fix bigger gashes.

But with all the sealant on the inside with tubeless, I'm not sure how well it would work. It would be a nightmare to try and remove all sealant and clean/dry the tyre wall to fit a patch.

And then it wouldn't inflate again with a regular pump. I've used Co2 canisters before, but I think it took three of them to seat the tyre, and then finished off with a regular pump. But that wasn't while on the road, which would have been even more frustrating.

It's hard to patch the inside of a tubeless tyre as it is rubber to nylon and not rubber to rubber. I see proper patches anywhere for tubeless tyres, and the plugs are not suitable to the very thin carcass of a road tyre.

Went to four bike shops in town, none had a repair kit. Most didn't even know what they were.
    Forgot about Littlesport in Fairview until I was passing and chanced them. They had one. They got 100 of them by accident in an order and sent 99 of them back. I got the one they kept as a just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

It's hard to patch the inside of a tubeless tyre as it is rubber to nylon and not rubber to rubber. I see proper patches anywhere for tubeless tyres, and the plugs are not suitable to the very thin carcass of a road tyre.

It depends on the tyre. Hutchinson Fusion and some other brands have a butyl lining and can be patched. Plugs designed for tubeless tyres can be used very effectively - I used two last week to seal a 7mm gash and was able to pump it up to 80 psi afterwards which it held during a spin afterwards with no problem.

Did you need to use a tube of rubber solution/glue on the inside of the plug? The repair kit I have came with this, but I'm worried about having to deal with the sealant in the tube, and also getting the tyre reseated, which means a trip to the garage and a load of cursing.

• Advertisement

Have zero experience of using them, but I got my kit on Amazon. Hopefully will be a long time before I have to use it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MG5LGCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Throwing in a tube would be less faff than trying to patch (rather than plug) at the side of the road I'd imagine? Would you need to carry sealant to patch as well?

Did you need to use a tube of rubber solution/glue on the inside of the plug? The repair kit I have came with this, but I'm worried about having to deal with the sealant in the tube, and also getting the tyre reseated, which means a trip to the garage and a load of cursing.

No, the tyre starts on and the plug goes in from the outside. It takes less than five minutes to repair. The remaining sealant helps seal the repair. I used this kit:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/maxalami-road-mtb-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit-110339.html

This is the one I have, which is the same as the two kits above it seems, but with the extra glue for whatever reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutrak-Tubeless-Repair-Associated-Tools/dp/B079FXM2WH

I got it for €5 which seems pretty good.

The repair video from Giant seems to show them using rubber glue on the plug before they put it into the tyre.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-lruemFmqQ

There's a lifeline one on Wiggle, which is pretty much the same as the Nutrak. I just liked the form and function of the one I linked too.

Is the glue the same as a puncture repair kit?

Yeah, seems to be standard rubber cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I have a 5 year Old Giant Defy. It has what I think is bog standard wheels for this level of bikes. I went through a stage where I was getting a pinch puncture almost every week. Just on back wheel always, I had a GP 4000 tyre. I changed for a Schwalble tyre for the rear, one of the tough ones, cant remember exact model, a 25c it was going grand for a few weeks, then I got another feckin pinch puncture one day. Absolute nightmare to take this tyre off in the winter, I broke 2 of the levers trying to get it off.

Should I consider going tubeless? I always make sure I have at least 120psi in the tyre.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

bullvine wrote:
    I have a 5 year Old Giant Defy. It has what I think is bog standard wheels for this level of bikes. I went through a stage where I was getting a pinch puncture almost every week. Just on back wheel always, I had a GP 4000 tyre. I changed for a Schwalble tyre for the rear, one of the tough ones, cant remember exact model, a 25c it was going grand for a few weeks, then I got another feckin pinch puncture one day. Absolute nightmare to take this tyre off in the winter, I broke 2 of the levers trying to get it off.

A defy will take a 28mm tyre, try that next time and drop the pressure (I have mine at 85 and it's much more comfortable).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

gman2k wrote: »
    A defy will take a 28mm tyre, try that next time and drop the pressure (I have mine at 85 and it's much more comfortable).

interesting, thanks

bullvine wrote: »

Should I consider going tubeless? I always make sure I have at least 120psi in the tyre.

Thanks,

Check your rim tape - it might be misaligned and causing the pinch punctures.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »

I've just ordered a couple of 28mm Duranos for my commuter. Not as much protection as the previous Durano Plus, but I'm trying them out over the 25mm tyres.

Advertisement