Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuters! What's your favoured pedal/shoe combo

Options
  • 20-01-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Have flats and SPD's with a mix of shoes between MTB clipless or hiking boots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Regular shoes with toe clips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My Giro Rumbles with SPDs or my regular racing shoes if I have a change of shoes at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭boardbeer

double-sided SPDs and cheap, plastic, neon-yellow Lidl MTB shoes (that dry-out quickly) - perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Shimano spd double sided pedals and Shimano mtb shoes. Idiot proof in traffic and can walk around in them fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Shimano A530 dual sided(flat & spd) and cheapo old Lidl MTB, sole detached but superglue is ur only man !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Crank Brothers Candy with Giro Terraduro.
    4x side entry for the pedals , and the Giro is a bit water resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cheapest Shimano SPD pedals (the ones without a platform), and Specialized SPD Touring Shoes*.

Touring shoes are more comfortable walking around than MTB shoes - I often forget to take them off. And I can drive in them, as they're flat with the recess for the cleat. They dry pretty quick, but again because of the sole being flat, I can get a road shoe overshoe on for wet days/ roads.

*iirc after a bargain alert on here a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

devonp wrote: »
    Shimano A530 dual sided(flat & spd)

Same with SPD sandals. Not worried about wet weather, feet get wet, feet get dry. No end of day soggy shoes to put on...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Look brought out a Keo compatible City shoe a few years ago. Loved using them. Still have them somewhere. You could walk around in them and the cleat was a a rubberised and recessed keo cleat. Not remotely stiff or anything, but perfect for that. Started using SPDs the last while though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Also looking for mtb shoes for the commute, I have to dismount and walk quite a bit through two security gates in work and have a bit of a walk indoors to get to the changing room/showers.

I dont want to go for a walking lace up style shoe.

What are the grips like on MTB shoes, are they ok on tiles floors and ok to walk in for say 100-150 metres?

Looking at something like Sidi trace mtb shoes https://www.bike24.com/p2344106.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Any significant walking, I'd still say touring shoes over pure mtb shoes. It's compromise of sole stiffness for cycling v comfort walking though, so might depend on the length of the commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

murph226 wrote: »
    What are the grips like on MTB shoes, are they ok on tiles floors and ok to walk in for say 100-150 metres?

Absolutely fine although the ones you link would be stiff enough compared to regular shoes (but you will be fine), there are far softer style options, my GIRO Rumbles are pretty much regular runners, a bit broad and you can faintly hear the cleat tap the floor in times but grip is never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Shimano A600 touring pedals on one bike, and BBB flat backed with SPDs on the other. Mid priced Shimano MTB shoes for all uses. Somebody asked about the grip - I find mine can be a bit slippy on smooth wet surfaces and I'm not mad about walking downhill on them (I have a steep hill on the way to the pool if I need to drop the kids off for swimming in the morning), but overall they're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wear normal sod-sl road shoes and cleats. I park my bike 50m away from my office, but have to go 750m the other way to get in through security. For this part, I change into some cheap Penny’s gym shoes I carry with me. They’re easier to walk in, and I have to go through airport security! When I leave work, there’s a turnstile right by my bike so I wear the bike shoes with rubber cleat covers on. Works well for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use a pair of 15* year old shimano SPD shoes for most of the year, and they've done me fine for years. most of my bikes have SPD; the knockabout single speed has flats, and one other has flat/SPD combos.
    the shoes have reasonbly rigid soles, they're more at the road end of things.

*just checked - 18 years old. reason i know is that they were bought during the euro/punt changeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I stick with regular pedals and shoes for commuting. Used to have strapless clips, but prefer not having my shoes damaged by the clips these days.
    Using non SPD means I've a bigger choice in shoes to wear.

If I do commute on a bike with SPDs I'll wear Giro Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I bought a pair of waterproof Five tens mtb shoes to replace my old runners that let in the rain and bought flat mtb pedals. Was only able to get one of my OEM pedals off though, so have one pedal with pins and one regular pedal. The grip is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use SPD's for commuting also. Shimano MTB shoes when I'm wearing shorts and MTB boots in winter. I've two dedicated commuter bikes so I can keep the SPD pedals on all year round.
    I wear normal sod-sl road shoes and cleats. I park my bike 50m away from my office, but have to go 750m the other way to get in through security. For this part, I change into some cheap Penny’s gym shoes I carry with me. They’re easier to walk in, and I have to go through airport security! When I leave work, there’s a turnstile right by my bike so I wear the bike shoes with rubber cleat covers on. Works well for me
    You'd be an ideal candidate for SPD's rather than SPD SL's. No need to carry extra shoes or cleat covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

During the winter I wear Ugg boots or hiking boots. My feet get too cold in runners and the like and most are too narrow for my feet. I marvel at those in shorts and other cycling gear. I am home before I could heat up from a 30 minute cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You'd be an ideal candidate for SPD's rather than SPD SL's. No need to carry extra shoes or cleat covers.

My commuting bike is also my winter bike and I prefer spd-sl pedals to mountain bike ones. I'd also normally have to remove any shoes with cleats to go through airport security, and this is a b@ll-ache especially in wet weather, so I got some work out shoes from Penneys that take very little room in my bag and wear them.
    I'd like to be able to just lock my bike and walk off to work, but there's about a few minutes of faff to remove lights, garmin etc, so changing shoes doesn't really make much difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement