Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morbius [Jared Leto]

Options
  • 13-01-2020 6:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The first trailer is now out for this; looks painfully generic IMO, especially detached from the Spider-Man world (cameo at the end notwithstanding, I bet that's from the last 30 seconds of the film). Just looks like a very boilerplate vampire movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Looks way better than I was expecting and it's a vampire origin story so sort of know what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That looks...

Well it looks like a very hit or miss film. It looks like they are latching onto as much of the Sony Spider-Man Marvel-verse as they can (Spiderman mural, was that the Vulture as well?). lol, the Ben Affleck Batman bats visual effect seems lobbed in there too.

I mean.. I dunno Morbius.. is he an important character? Could he just be someone there for Venom to remove as a build up to Venom facing Spider-Man?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And apparently, according to the press release, this is going to be so OriginStory'y, the bad guy is along the "same powers, but used for evil" trope.

Is hard to know how it'll do, given Venom was a smash hit. Is Morbius coming out in China, cos that might help potential returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So that ending puts it firmly within the MCU.

Also it feels very Meh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Morbius is one of my favourite comic book characters (despite his compulsory goofy origin) and he's being played by that gurning numpty Leto

Yeah, nice one Marvel.

They'll make a balls of Moon Knight too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bambi wrote: »
    Morbius is one of my favourite comic book characters (despite his compulsory goofy origin) and he's being played by that gurning numpty Leto

Yeah, nice one Marvel.

They'll make a balls of Moon Knight too

Marvel aren't involved in this, it's Sony who have ****ed up Spider-Man twice before. Any Marvel links are purely concessions to keep Spidey in the MCU, I doubt if Morbius will ever be acknowledged in the MCU.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I doubt if Morbius will ever be acknowledged in the MCU.

It probably already has in the trailer with a character who will probably return to the MCU in the next Spiderman film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It probably already has been in the trailer with a character who will probably return to the MCU in the next Spiderman film.

MCU will likely ignore any events that occur in this, Venom, etc. Once they don't have a world altering event, like the blip, then it is easily done.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    MCU will likely ignore any events that occur in this, Venom, etc. Once they don't have a world altering event, like the blip, then it is easily done.

Or they hit the billion dollar box office and the MCU /Disney offer Sony more money for crossovers.

Or they hit the billion dollar box office and the MCU /Disney offer Sony more money for crossovers.

I don't see them getting any money out of Marvel, even if Morbius or Venom did crazy money. Marvel have a huge backlog of characters they own outright that they have to try to work into the MCU.

All Marvel want from Sony is the use of Spider Man and them not to completely stink up several movie so bad that it impacts the market for superhero movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Foxtrol wrote: »
    All Marvel want from Sony is the use of Spider Man

Possibly Norman Osborn/Green Goblin/one of his other villain guises, too

Possibly Norman Osborn/Green Goblin/one of his other villain guises, too

Not sure I agree. Sure, they'd likely want him as part of a Spider Man movie at some point but I doubt they'd want to have Osborn cross-over into other Spider Man-less MCU movies, especially if it meant additional concessions to Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Think i'll be giving this one a swerve. It looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Jared Leto is well liked isn't he?
    He sucked as The Joker (let's be honest) but they didn't hurt his chances of becoming another comic book character huh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given Hollywood is often the race to be second, I imagine Sony are hoping for some of that "method actor plays comic book character" kudos and goodwill...

The film was completed June 2019. Now Leto posted on Instagram a few days ago that they are gone back for more filming.

The film is due to be released in a few months.

What's the bets it's to add more MCU nods. Seems like the buzz around this, such as it was, centered around folk trying to figure if or how it sat in the MCU than the actual content of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Forget it existed. I'm guessing whoever tracks box office forecasts at Sony was put off by the trailer's general reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he's an odd choice of character to bring to the screen unless they intend to bring back Ghost Rider and do a Midnight Sons film alongside Dr. Strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I can just feel that this movie is going to be absolutely awful.

Skerries wrote: »
    he's an odd choice of character to bring to the screen unless they intend to bring back Ghost Rider and do a Midnight Sons film alongside Dr. Strange

The thinking has been Sony are/were trying for a version of the Sinister Six at some point, given most studios' love of this Shared Universe malarky. The success of Venom likely emboldened them in thinking otherwise niche villains were all good fodder for films.

It's really hard to figure how this film might do: I don't believe Leto is box office gold (the era of "the big star" has kinda faded somewhat anyway), while as you intimate the character isn't particularly striking or well-known. My reckoning is that if there are indeed any MCU connections, this will drive curiousity audiences, but otherwise am not entirely sure who wants to see this film?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    The thinking has been Sony are/were trying for a version of the Sinister Six at some point, given most studios' love of this Shared Universe malarky. The success of Venom likely emboldened them in thinking otherwise niche villains were all good fodder for films.

It's really hard to figure how this film might do: I don't believe Leto is box office gold (the era of "the big star" has kinda faded somewhat anyway), while as you intimate the character isn't particularly striking or well-known. My reckoning is that if there are indeed any MCU connections, this will drive curiousity audiences, but otherwise am not entirely sure who wants to see this film?

I think Sony are vastly overestimating themselves here, the real draw of Venom was Tom Hardy.

The movie itself was really only so so. Hardy was brilliant in it.

Another thread getting a bump, if only to update that it's the latest film getting a Corona delay; it'll now be released March 19, 2021 as opposed to July 31. July seems very far away from this most glacial March, so Sony playing it very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think Sony are vastly overestimating themselves here, the real draw of Venom was Tom Hardy.

Wouldn't agree with that. Venom has always been an immensely popular character. Film would of done huge numbers regardless of who played him

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

October 2021 release date now

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Normally I'd have called this as one of 2021s potential big flops, but with YouKnowWhat, who knows it'll probably do great from a starved market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

Totally forgot this was even a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Delayed again to January 21st 2022

Advertisement