Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-01-2020, 16:36   #16
B.A._Baracus

Jared Leto is well liked isn't he?
He sucked as The Joker (let's be honest) but they didn't hurt his chances of becoming another comic book character huh.
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 16:40   #17
pixelburp

Given Hollywood is often the race to be second, I imagine Sony are hoping for some of that "method actor plays comic book character" kudos and goodwill...
16-02-2020, 17:33   #18
Agent Coulson

The film was completed June 2019. Now Leto posted on Instagram a few days ago that they are gone back for more filming.

The film is due to be released in a few months.
16-02-2020, 17:36   #19
pixelburp

What's the bets it's to add more MCU nods. Seems like the buzz around this, such as it was, centered around folk trying to figure if or how it sat in the MCU than the actual content of the film.
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 13:51   #20
speedboatchase

Forget it existed. I'm guessing whoever tracks box office forecasts at Sony was put off by the trailer's general reception.
Advertisement
19-02-2020, 22:17   #21
Skerries

he's an odd choice of character to bring to the screen unless they intend to bring back Ghost Rider and do a Midnight Sons film alongside Dr. Strange
20-02-2020, 09:03   #22
Sonics2k

I can just feel that this movie is going to be absolutely awful.
20-02-2020, 09:48   #23
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerries View Post
he's an odd choice of character to bring to the screen unless they intend to bring back Ghost Rider and do a Midnight Sons film alongside Dr. Strange
The thinking has been Sony are/were trying for a version of the Sinister Six at some point, given most studios' love of this Shared Universe malarky. The success of Venom likely emboldened them in thinking otherwise niche villains were all good fodder for films.

It's really hard to figure how this film might do: I don't believe Leto is box office gold (the era of "the big star" has kinda faded somewhat anyway), while as you intimate the character isn't particularly striking or well-known. My reckoning is that if there are indeed any MCU connections, this will drive curiousity audiences, but otherwise am not entirely sure who wants to see this film?
Thanks from:
20-02-2020, 11:33   #24
Sonics2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
The thinking has been Sony are/were trying for a version of the Sinister Six at some point, given most studios' love of this Shared Universe malarky. The success of Venom likely emboldened them in thinking otherwise niche villains were all good fodder for films.

It's really hard to figure how this film might do: I don't believe Leto is box office gold (the era of "the big star" has kinda faded somewhat anyway), while as you intimate the character isn't particularly striking or well-known. My reckoning is that if there are indeed any MCU connections, this will drive curiousity audiences, but otherwise am not entirely sure who wants to see this film?
I think Sony are vastly overestimating themselves here, the real draw of Venom was Tom Hardy.

The movie itself was really only so so. Hardy was brilliant in it.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 13:04   #25
pixelburp

Another thread getting a bump, if only to update that it's the latest film getting a Corona delay; it'll now be released March 19, 2021 as opposed to July 31. July seems very far away from this most glacial March, so Sony playing it very safe.
Yesterday, 15:11   #26
The Golden Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics2k View Post
I think Sony are vastly overestimating themselves here, the real draw of Venom was Tom Hardy.
Wouldn't agree with that. Venom has always been an immensely popular character. Film would of done huge numbers regardless of who played him

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion