Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-01-2020, 12:36   #31
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2k View Post
A defy will take a 28mm tyre, try that next time and drop the pressure (I have mine at 85 and it's much more comfortable).
I've just ordered a couple of 28mm Duranos for my commuter. Not as much protection as the previous Durano Plus, but I'm trying them out over the 25mm tyres.
Advertisement
29-01-2020, 12:38   #32
Effects

I just used the kit to patch the tubeless tyre. The plug just wouldn't go in so I had to cut it down to half the size. Would have been impossible to do roadside without a scissors.
30-01-2020, 23:08   #33
Mercian Pro

Lots more info, opinions and tales of tubeless on https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057818455
Thanks from:
03-02-2020, 11:25   #34
Effects

Got another puncture close to the end of a spin yesterday, coming through Irishtown. Air gushing out pretty fast.
Got the wheel off, plugged, and pumped up again in no time.
The two lads I was with couldn't understand how I fixed a puncture so quickly!
03-02-2020, 12:38   #35
Macy0161

I had to put two plugs in to seal a hole yesterday - didn't notice it on Saturday, but just noticed the tyre was flat in storage yesterday. Seemed to be ok leaving this morning, but after one botched attempt at cutting the excess (and pulling out the plug) yesterday, I just plugged and left it after a few minutes wheel spinning!

Going to have to add either a double chamber pump or an airshot to the workshop. Any recommendations on which option is better? I don't have an expensive track pump, but it's working fine with no issues. I'll be shopping in the same cheaper end of the market for a double chamber one (lifeline/ planet x). Also, if I can get over the schrader to presta issue, I still have a shock pump if the current pump can't get an airshot up to pressure (I have the the connectors, which I'll use with my in laws compressor in the meantime).

Last edited by Macy0161; 03-02-2020 at 12:43.
Advertisement
03-02-2020, 13:29   #36
CantGetNoSleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Got another puncture close to the end of a spin yesterday, coming through Irishtown. Air gushing out pretty fast.
Got the wheel off, plugged, and pumped up again in no time.
The two lads I was with couldn't understand how I fixed a puncture so quickly!
Plugged using those little worm things?

Do you even need to take the wheel off for one of those?

I really need to teach myself how to use them, tried once and it was a complete failure, hole looked too small to plug but was still not sealing with sealant
03-02-2020, 14:55   #37
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Going to have to add either a double chamber pump or an airshot to the workshop. Any recommendations on which option is better?
I went with this one.
It's still in the post so can't comment. The price was decent.
As luck would have it, the gauge on my cheap track pump broke the day after ordering from Rose bikes, so while it works, I'll need to get a new one to get my pressures right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGetNoSleep View Post
Plugged using those little worm things?

Do you even need to take the wheel off for one of those?

I really need to teach myself how to use them, tried once and it was a complete failure, hole looked too small to plug but was still not sealing with sealant
Yeah, I have this kit here. Took a while to find one in Dublin, and the store that had it only had it by accident.

I found the plugs too big, so I have some of them cut lengthways so they are only half the size. I couldn't get a full sized one in.

You don't have to take the wheel off but I figured it would be easier to work with. I'm terrified of losing the seat between the tyre and wheel and getting stuck on the side of the road.
03-02-2020, 15:34   #38
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
I went with this one.
It's still in the post so can't comment. The price was decent.
As luck would have it, the gauge on my cheap track pump broke the day after ordering from Rose bikes, so while it works, I'll need to get a new one to get my pressures right.
Yes, that's the one I was looking at too.
10-02-2020, 19:30   #39
Macy0161

Back on the airblaster v dual chamber track pump question...

Lidl have compressors coming up, for not much more than a dual chamber pump. So anyone with experience have an opinion on whether that's a better for the job? Obviously a bit more multi-functional* than either other option, if a lot less portable...

*sand blaster and spray gun also on sale, and an old steel frame waiting to be restored hanging in the shed...
Advertisement
10-02-2020, 19:45   #40
gman2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161
*sand blaster and spray gun also on sale, and an old steel frame waiting to be restored hanging in the shed...

A small compressor like these coupled with one of these sand blasters will not remove paint.
I have a larger compressor and it still won't remove paint with those blasters.
Thanks from:
11-02-2020, 08:36   #41
fat bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Back on the airblaster v dual chamber track pump question...

Lidl have compressors coming up, for not much more than a dual chamber pump. So anyone with experience have an opinion on whether that's a better for the job? Obviously a bit more multi-functional* than either other option, if a lot less portable...

Are they petrol or electric compressors? Does anyone here use them for drying bikes? - Getting water out of nooks and crannies? - I see people on youtube using air compressors for such things.
11-02-2020, 09:10   #42
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
Are they petrol or electric compressors?
Electric. They've two options.

Maybe they wouldn't do for the restore job, but I've a few tools already to use with my inlaws, and I figure could be a handy edition. But at the moment, it'd have to be the job for seating tubeless tyres.
Thanks from:
11-02-2020, 09:27   #43
gman2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke
Are they petrol or electric compressors? Does anyone here use them for drying bikes? - Getting water out of nooks and crannies? - I see people on youtube using air compressors for such things.

I use my compressor to dry the bike, does a great job.
Thanks from:
11-02-2020, 10:17   #44
fat bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2k View Post
I use my compressor to dry the bike, does a great job.
Yeah, I've gotten into a great habit of thoroughly washing the bike immediately after my saturday spin. The rest of the week is indoor rollers so it's nice to have the bike clean and humming for the indoor use. Drying it is a pain in this weather particularly though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion