Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-01-2020, 09:33   #16
magicbastarder

i use a pair of 15* year old shimano SPD shoes for most of the year, and they've done me fine for years. most of my bikes have SPD; the knockabout single speed has flats, and one other has flat/SPD combos.
the shoes have reasonbly rigid soles, they're more at the road end of things.

*just checked - 18 years old. reason i know is that they were bought during the euro/punt changeover.
Advertisement
28-01-2020, 09:55   #17
Effects

I stick with regular pedals and shoes for commuting. Used to have strapless clips, but prefer not having my shoes damaged by the clips these days.
Using non SPD means I've a bigger choice in shoes to wear.

If I do commute on a bike with SPDs I'll wear Giro Rumble.
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 10:58   #18
Mc Love

I bought a pair of waterproof Five tens mtb shoes to replace my old runners that let in the rain and bought flat mtb pedals. Was only able to get one of my OEM pedals off though, so have one pedal with pins and one regular pedal. The grip is unreal.
28-01-2020, 12:56   #19
Wishbone Ash

I use SPD's for commuting also. Shimano MTB shoes when I'm wearing shorts and MTB boots in winter. I've two dedicated commuter bikes so I can keep the SPD pedals on all year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggermortis View Post
I wear normal sod-sl road shoes and cleats. I park my bike 50m away from my office, but have to go 750m the other way to get in through security. For this part, I change into some cheap Penny’s gym shoes I carry with me. They’re easier to walk in, and I have to go through airport security! When I leave work, there’s a turnstile right by my bike so I wear the bike shoes with rubber cleat covers on. Works well for me
You'd be an ideal candidate for SPD's rather than SPD SL's. No need to carry extra shoes or cleat covers.
28-01-2020, 17:32   #20
Ray Palmer

During the winter I wear Ugg boots or hiking boots. My feet get too cold in runners and the like and most are too narrow for my feet. I marvel at those in shorts and other cycling gear. I am home before I could heat up from a 30 minute cycle.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2020, 14:40   #21
triggermortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post

You'd be an ideal candidate for SPD's rather than SPD SL's. No need to carry extra shoes or cleat covers.
My commuting bike is also my winter bike and I prefer spd-sl pedals to mountain bike ones. I'd also normally have to remove any shoes with cleats to go through airport security, and this is a b@ll-ache especially in wet weather, so I got some work out shoes from Penneys that take very little room in my bag and wear them.
I'd like to be able to just lock my bike and walk off to work, but there's about a few minutes of faff to remove lights, garmin etc, so changing shoes doesn't really make much difference.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion