Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying a deposit

• 16-07-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm heading up to belfast on monday in the hopes of finding an 2 bed apartment with a friend.

I was wondering what the done thing is with paying deposits? should I go up to the north with the ~£1000 cash in hand, or is it normally acceptable to do it via bank transfer from my AIB account to whatever northern account?

And can we do it in such a way that if the deposit is 1000 quid, that we each depost 500 from our respective accounts?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if you do pay cash make sure you get a receipt then and there.

most people will accept a bank transfer... I'd have serious questions if they didn't, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

bank draft, bank transfer, cheque ..... I wouldn't pay cash unless you know it to be a safe deal...and get a receipt !

Plenty of cases where the "landlord" showing the apartment around takes a deposit from a number of "tenants" then gives them all keys....just be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm not sure many would accept bank transfer as it's not instant. The landlord would be handing keys over on a promise that money will be electronically transferred?

Cash is fine once the landlord gives a receipt

Personally I'd bring a bank draft.

Check your key works in the lock.

Advertisement