Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 15:05   #256
end of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Well they're definitely not interested in getting politically lumbered with another Ennis to Athenry, and I can't say I blame them...
given the passenger railway isn't a commercial venture, what they are interested in or not isn't relevant. they are the operator and infrastructure manager, and they get paid to run the lines by government. what opens or not isn't their concern. at least not anymore
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 19:10   #257
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
given the passenger railway isn't a commercial venture, what they are interested in or not isn't relevant. they are the operator and infrastructure manager, and they get paid to run the lines by government. what opens or not isn't their concern. at least not anymore
Well they've said they're not interested in it.. And they're leasing it to Cork coco.. Which shows they're not interested in it (except in getting it off their books)
And while your right IR isn't a commercial venture, it does have commercial interests, it has to worry about running lines and stations, allocating rolling stock, balancing books and the government aren't exactly throwing open the purse to them..
08-11-2018, 23:12   #258
end of the road

Quote:
Well they've said they're not interested in it.. And they're leasing it to Cork coco.. Which shows they're not interested in it (except in getting it off their books)
the fact they aren't interested is irrelevant. if government/NTA ever decide it will open, it will open. whether irish rail are interested or not won't matter a jot, they will be operating it whether they want it or not. and i'd doubt it actually goes off their books dispite them leasing it to the council. i'd be surprised if there isn't some responsibility still remaining with them given they haven't gone for an abandonment order.

Quote:
And while your right IR isn't a commercial venture, it does have commercial interests, it has to worry about running lines and stations, allocating rolling stock, balancing books and the government aren't exactly throwing open the purse to them..

those aren't "commercial" interests as such, but rather simple operations. freight and charter trains would be the only real commercial interests irish rail have.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion