Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Douglas Road Roadwords

Options
  • 11-11-2020 3:57pm

Anyone else a bit annoyed with the current roadworks. I get it needs to be done. What is annoying is the footpath barely accommodates 2 way traffic as it is and then they put the barriers on the footpath making it impossible to social distance to any degree. You would think they would need to submit a risk assessment, safe plan of action etc. where Covid 19 is top of the list and how to accommodate pedestrians.
    For one why cant the barriers be on the road tight to the curb. Whats worse is these barriers are not the steel ones but the plastic ones where the feet stick further into the footpath. I can't understand how this passes any safety or pedestrian safety concerns.

I was walking there on Thursday and runners had to go out on the road and the worker was shouting at them to get on the footpath. How about not restricting the footpath that is narrow to start with. The worker shouting at the runners left me amazed, felt like the worker thought he had some entitlement, the HSA needs to get on top of this type of cowboy roadworks where there is clearly no safety plans or consideration to pedestrians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Anyone else a bit annoyed with the current roadworks. I get it needs to be done. What is annoying is the footpath barely accommodates 2 way traffic as it is and then they put the barriers on the footpath making it impossible to social distance to any degree. You would think they would need to submit a risk assessment, safe plan of action etc. where Covid 19 is top of the list and how to accommodate pedestrians.
    For one why cant the barriers be on the road tight to the curb. Whats worse is these barriers are not the steel ones but the plastic ones where the feet stick further into the footpath. I can't understand how this passes any safety or pedestrian safety concerns.

I was walking there on Thursday and runners had to go out on the road and the worker was shouting at them to get on the footpath. How about not restricting the footpath that is narrow to start with. The worker shouting at the runners left me amazed, felt like the worker thought he had some entitlement, the HSA needs to get on top of this type of cowboy roadworks where there is clearly no safety plans or consideration to pedestrians.

You want them to put the barriers on the road where they’re putting down a new surface? Really?

And yes, the worker was in the right. The runner should not have went into the site unless directed to by someone working there. Only takes a second for something dangerous/fatal to happen. Barriers are there for a protective reason - not an athletic hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

You bang on about health and safety numerous times and then complain that someone was told off for stepping onto a active building site?
    No one forcing the runners a different way, just wait.

If the worker hadn't said anything it would be his arse on the line if something happened. He's "entitlement" to tell randoms off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We're lucky they left the footpath open at all tbh, all too often it's blocked off with no alternative provided, I think part of the western road was during the last week. You're right pedestrian safety seems to be an afterthought.

They were putting cat eyes on the road and prepping for white lines.
    Easy known none of you know the roadworks I am on about, 1 Lane of traffic is open, they were prepping for cat eyes and white lines

If you ever worked on a building site that interfered with the public you have to mitigate risk and that includes pedestrians, leaving a footpath wide enough to only allow space for a single person on a busy stretch with lots of walkers is not mitigating risks and consideration to the public. It is up to the builder to plan around this even if it takes longer to complete the job.

The fact runners had to go onto the road because there was people coming against them on a footpath cos it was greatly reduced in width would show the builder did not consider this or risk assess it correctly.

Also, as I said the feet on the barriers are also a trip hazard.

As a matter of interest do any of you work on building sites, cos if you do you obviously pay no attention to method statements, safety files and risk assessments, this type of hazard identification is common practise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The fact runners had to go onto the road because there was people coming against them on a footpath cos it was greatly reduced in width would show the builder did not consider this or risk assess it correctly.

What was preventing the runners from waiting? I had to wait at a contraflow when out training on my bike this morning. I lost all of 10 seconds. The real problem here is that when the adrenaline is pumping, some runners and cyclists are dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

cantalach wrote: »
    The real problem here is that when the adrenaline is pumping, some runners and cyclists are dicks.

You forgot motorists.

cantalach wrote: »
    What was preventing the runners from waiting? I had to wait at a contraflow when out training on my bike this morning. I lost all of 10 seconds. The real problem here is that when the adrenaline is pumping, some runners and cyclists are dicks.

The section reduced wasn't a few meters and people were constantly coming off estates onto the reduced path. So you if you waited you could be waiting for a long time.
    Regardless of what you think about cyclists or runners, where i work if you close a footpath you need to provide a detour with a temporary path to the same standard/width as the path you are closing.

What makes these public roadworks different and have no respect for pedestrians. Straight away i would look at this saying the following was not considered
    1. Covid 19, social distancing, not just to workers but the obstructions you are causing, ie the public
    2. Use of plastic barriers that have extended support feet cause a trip hazard especially at night time
    3. No alternative or detoured path that provides a safe and equal path, especially with social distancing in mind
    4. if you cannot provide an equal detour path, introduce a traffic light system that is manned, this is where shortcuts get taken cos it costs more money to do the job safely.

These roadworks are moving the whole time, obviously desperate to spend the 2020 budget, which is fine, i am all for improving roads and fixing footpaths. However it needs to be done safely and with the public in mind.

Advertisement