Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Has he 15 pubs now :eek:

I saw it on an article, I couldn't name them all though so not sure that's accurate. Definitely has 10 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

This MIB clip comes to mind: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals...":

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

MrDerp wrote: »
    By and large people are complete morons and/or have no conceptual understanding of anything they cannot see or touch.

And this is the problem. Its muppets like that who are ultimately going to cause it to spread and linger. A friend who lives in town tells me loads of pubs are still packed to the rafters. Its honestly quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

And this is the problem. Its muppets like that who are ultimately going to cause it to spread and linger. A friend who lives in town tells me loads of pubs are still packed to the rafters. Its honestly quite pathetic.

Some Irish are beyond embarrassing/ stupid as a nation we are fairly dopey,not everyone but a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Some Irish are beyond embarrassing/ stupid as a nation we are fairly dopey,not everyone but a lot

There isn’t a nation on Earth without a high percentage of idiots.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    There isn’t a nation on Earth without a high percentage of idiots.

Ours is winning this century I reckon,Celtic tiger,bank bail outs,Little Leo + simple Simon,HSE,and now the impending FF/ FG cosy cosy put the country last relationship,oh and Flanagan's Ric commeration attempt

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. ~ George Carlin

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In fairness police in Spain are fining people today who went to the beach so it's not just here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ours is winning this century I reckon,Celtic tiger,bank bail outs,Little Leo + simple Simon,HSE,and now the impending FF/ FG cosy cosy put the country last relationship,oh and Flanagan's Ric commeration attempt

To be fair, I'm sure most countries would say the same stuff about their own societies.

Look at the yanks.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm sure most countries would say the same stuff about their own societies.

Look at the yanks.

Yes but for the size of us v size of uncle Sam we make mega fuc* ups,nearly broke ref HSE cock ups

• Advertisement

I wonder are the primary and secondary school years likely to be extended? For example, could they finish in July?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Worztron wrote: »
    I wonder are the primary and secondary school years likely to be extended? For example, could they finish in July?

Better question to ask is will July be the earliest that schools and colleges will reopen. Can`t see it happening before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Let's see. If we sit tight and people comply, it could ease a lot quicker.

If people act the maggot, we'll be locked in for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

was in supervalu glanmire this morning getting a couple of groceries, the amount of elderly people in there shopping was huge. I am not sure are they not taking it seriously or are they afraid to reach out for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

was in supervalu glanmire this morning getting a couple of groceries, the amount of elderly people in there shopping was huge. I am not sure are they not taking it seriously or are they afraid to reach out for help.

I'd say a lot of elderly just don't have many/any people to turn to. Those that I know are acutely aware of the virus and very worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Tesco Paul St appear to be operating a queuing system. Substantial queue to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Even at worst case, there is a 94% chance a sufferer would be perfectly fine and recover without issue.

It is not the Bubonic Plague of 1349.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Even at worst case, there is a 94% chance a sufferer would be perfectly fine and recover without issue.

It is not the Bubonic Plague of 1349.

Eh, that's not how statistics work... not everybody has a 94% chance of recovering.

Why are you pretending you know something about this? You clearly haven't a clue.

Some neckbeard on the net coming up with a worst case scenario... absolutely laughable. Theboyconor, an expert in every field imaginable... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Worztron wrote: »

Doubt it ,hope to God I can keep my 17 motivated enough to study throughout ( 5 the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Any idea on what UCC and CIT are going to do?

Edinburgh Uni are moving to online classes next week and will cancel all end of year exams for 1st and 2nd years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Tesco Paul St appear to be operating a queuing system. Substantial queue to get in.

yeah I was there today - had to queue - not sure what the max is allowed in at one time - heard it was 20..

seems a bit mad? like we wer all still beside one another in the queue? and staff are still been exposed to customers.. don't see the logic.. on an up side, I did get a bottle of flash anti bacterial cleaning spray though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is St. Mary's in the North Side drive thru testing centre open?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is St. Mary's in the North Side drive thru testing centre open?

Yes but it's only with an appointment. I think they swab in the window of the car and you await a phone call, roughly 24 hours.
    All the best if your being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

.red. wrote: »
    Yes but it's only with an appointment. I think they swab in the window of the car and you await a phone call, roughly 24 hours.
    All the best if your being tested.

Thanks but don't need so far, thank God

As testing is increasing (test test test the mantra now of WHO) will these drive thru centres be in all cities and large county towns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I feel for Leaving Cert students. As if the LC isn’t stressful enough already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

rob316 wrote: »
    Fair play to Benny closing 15 pubs. Not much point anyone else staying open.
    Only after major pressure from the other publicans and members of the public. It was very late, in fairness. He was in the echo the other day sounding like he'd be running for president soon.
    I feel for Leaving Cert students. As if the LC isn’t stressful enough already!
    I was so sad thinking about this. My leaving cert year was some craic, in spite of having to do the aul leaving cert. You're just growing up, you get to do all the adult stuff but you think you're invincible so you do stuff you'd never do now but it's all still kind of safe and nice. I have massive amounts of sympathy for the teenagers just becoming adults and having this be their experience. Their own mortality and that of everyone around them paraded around for months and potentially years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I queued to get into Tesco, Paul Street, yesterday. It was well managed but still there were people trying to sneak around the queue. Selfish fcuks.

The upside of queuing to get in is that it's lovely and quiet once in and no queue for the check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

razorblunt wrote: »
    Any idea on what UCC and CIT are going to do?

Edinburgh Uni are moving to online classes next week and will cancel all end of year exams for 1st and 2nd years.

UL have said they expect to be closed 'til June so I'd imagine something similar.

Limerick university 'expected to stay shut until June'

Personally work in UCC but haven't heard any updates yet, just the government timescale of at least 'til the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

opus wrote: »
    UL have said they expect to be closed 'til June so I'd imagine something similar.

Limerick university 'expected to stay shut until June'

Personally work in UCC but haven't heard any updates yet, just the government timescale of at least 'til the end of the month.

UL presidents have a history of grand statements unfortunately. No one knows but try keeping everyone compliant past Easter. The more talk about flattening the curve suggests a when rather than an if you get it.

Advertisement