Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Without a car park the shopping centre is dead in the water.

Unless the council open up their car park at the back of the woollen mills, realistically Tesco could use their store's doors on the Douglas woollen mills side and move their security to there, like wise put a temporary trolley bay in the woollen mills council car park and you could have them up and running temporarily.

IF Cork City Council will play ball, or rather if the Douglas based City Councillors are worth their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I know I was giving out about unconfirmed rumours earlier but heard a story that there were 3 dogs in cars that died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Gru wrote: »
    Unless the council open up their car park at the back of the woollen mills, realistically Tesco could use their store's doors on the Douglas woollen mills side and move their security to there, like wise put a temporary trolley bay in the woollen mills council car park and you could have them up and running temporarily.

IF Cork City Council will play ball, or rather if the Douglas based City Councillors are worth their seat.

That car park at the back of the Woollen Mills is not or ever was belonging to either the County or City Council, the County Council leased it from a private concern.

Those doors you are referring to lead onto a section of foot path that is not wide enough for an onslaught of shopping trolleys, the Health and Safety lads would have a fit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

I was in Liverpool at Christmas at the convention center. A large parking garage next door had gone on fire and all the cars and the building were completely condemned. The replacement still has not opened IIRC and wont for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TheChizler wrote: »
    I know I was giving out about unconfirmed rumours earlier but heard a story that there were 3 dogs in cars that died :(

OMG if true :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The insurance blame and ducking game is going to be interesting.

Is the centres insurance going to pay for everyone’s cars, the damage to shops, lost revenue of vendors, will
    Leases need to be paid or can they be cancelled etc?

Or is the car that started the fire at fault for everything if they can pinpoint it?

Will the centres insurance take the stance that other car owners have to claim from the cause of the fire as these car parks generally don’t take responsibility “for loss or damage to vehicles”

The bill is easily going to be millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

And the new Children's hospital is built over a car park. BMW diesel engine fires are well documented. Not saying that is what happened to you but it certainly gives you pause for thought.

And the new Children's hospital is built over a car park. BMW diesel engine fires are well documented. Not saying that is what happened to you but it certainly gives you pause for thought.
    Most large buildings the last while are tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cork city fire brigade have shared a video on Facebook. Structural damage on both levels significant and far worse than can be seen from the photos. Massive repairs required.

https://www.facebook.com/corkcityfire/videos/374818513189286/

Twitter version for anyone who doesn't do facebook:

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFire/status/1168091850676297728?s=19

Walking around without a care in the world under a structure that looks like it could cave in any second. Only in Ireland.

Walking around without a care in the world under a structure that looks like it could cave in any second. Only in Ireland.

I'm going to go with the radical idea that the fire department know what they're doing...

• Advertisement

Buildings are built over kitchens, generators, boiler houses, all sorts of sources of ignition. Fire preventions measures will be required to enough of a level to contain such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

No words for posts like this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its going to be some spectacle seeing William O'Brien lifting cars from the building. It'd take longer than the towering inferno. Theres probably a very complicated situation having cars not written off sitting in a building, like the cars on the roof of liverpool where the car owners stood their ground.

I'm shocked at things like alloy wheels basically disappeared due to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

The Irish times are reporting that it was an Opel Zafira that started it, could be problematic considering it's a well known issue with those cars:

Irish times

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Kearys offering the use of a car to anyone who's car is stuck in the centre or damaged.
    I'm sure some people will say that there's an ulterior motive to it, but great gesture from a local business.

The Irish times are reporting that it was an Opel Zafira that started it, could be problematic considering it's a well known issue with those cars

Irish times

Never knew about it, interesting read

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2016/0519/789549-possoble-recall-of/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

lfc200 wrote: »
    Kearys offering the use of a car to anyone who's car is stuck in the centre or damaged.
    I'm sure some people will say that there's an ulterior motive to it, but great gesture from a local business.

Credit where credits due, thats a good initiative and a welcome thing regardless of whether they're doing it to get sales or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The 2nd last line of that piece :eek:
    The London Fire Service has reportedly dealt with over 70 fires in Zafira cars during last November alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Christ, it doesn't look good for Zarifas

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

TheChizler wrote: »

I hope to God that's not true :eek:

The poor dogs if it is. I can't imagine the fear and suffering in their final moments:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Irish times are reporting that it was an Opel Zafira that started it, could be problematic considering it's a well known issue with those cars:

Irish times

I remember the footage of the one that burst into flames by the cross river ferry a while back.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Christ, it doesn't look good for Zarifas

You gotta love the way it’s not Opels fault...

A fire risk was identified in some cars, which the company says was caused by the incorrect repairs of blower motor resistors and its thermal fuse.

"These improper repairs, which may have been conducted without the owners' knowledge, can lead to overheating of the system's electrical components and the potential for a fire," the company said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You need to check out some videos from this magical place called Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Irish times

Especially since the owner would have been informed of the recall and it was in the media multiple times, perhaps they would be personally sued in to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Just wondering about the 60 cars that have been incinerated in this fire, how are the insurance companies supposed to identify the cars?

As I presume the VIN number will be illegible and only the rough shape of the car to go on.

What's to stop anyone saying to their insurance company that their car was inside there but they can't find or recognise it.

At the best of times I can't find my car in the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All that smoke, all those tons of CO2, all over an electric car going up in flames randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Just wondering about the 60 cars that have been incinerated in this fire, how are the insurance companies supposed to identify the cars?

As I presume the VIN number will be illegible and only the rough shape of the car to go on.

What's to stop anyone saying to their insurance company that their car was inside there but they can't find or recognise it.

At the best of times I can't find my car in the carpark.

CCTV footage of the entrance/exit would surely sort that issue? There are cameras all over the place in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All that smoke, all those tons of CO2, all over an electric car going up in flames randomly.

WTF you talking about? It was an Opel Zafira.

CCTV footage of the entrance/exit would surely sort that issue? There are cameras all over the place in there.

What if the control room where the backed up CCTV data was stored was burnt down or the cameras weren't working or the insurance aren't allowed to get the CCTV footage (GDPR)

• Advertisement

It's also interesting that Douglas shopping centre is still getting Google Reviews from 12 hours ago, despite it being closed and on fire!

The "Local Guides" only give the shopping centre 3 stars comments "quite nice shopping centre"

Maybe they weren't happy with the air conditioning!

Advertisement