Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hopefully, this gets the go ahead.

Lots of memories of Finn's. All my jeans, as a kid, would have been bought upstairs in Finn's - my mother was fond of the woman that worked there and she always got the student discount as the woman knew my older sister was a student!
    I remember a fantastic Levis bomber jacket, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

rob316 wrote: »
    I think its a great idea, more eateries on our main st is the future now instead of watching empty retail units after 12 months.

It is, exactly what we need all over the city centre, hospitality options and residential. Retail will always have a place of course but its well fostered by cafes and restaurants, and the major difference between grabbing something in a retail park (or probably online now) and heading town is the all in 'day out' experience - shop around, stop for a bite etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

It's going to be a tight squeeze getting SIX apartments into that building. I mean it's possible, but living in them will probably be miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It's going to be a tight squeeze getting SIX apartments into that building. I mean it's possible, but living in them will probably be miserable.

Yes the traffic and noise when normal life resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's a shame, we need more apartment city centre living but these poky little developments trying to squash as many units in as possible give it a bad rep, and only lends itself towards transient lettings, which makes forming a community and long term support of businesses difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Really? Two floors for cafe/restaurant, then two 1 bed/studio apartments per floor for three floors and then a two bed apartment for one whole floor. I think the building is around 1 533.54 m2 or 16K ft2. Remember that it's actually two buildings used as one, on washington st it is the four bays, not just the two. Four bay on Grand Prd too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's a shame, we need more apartment city centre living but these poky little developments trying to squash as many units in as possible give it a bad rep, and only lends itself towards transient lettings, which makes forming a community and long term support of businesses difficult.

It's not like developers have to think about the mugs who will live in their misery hutches and pay handsomely for the privilege.

Is there any place with lockers in town? That u can store a bag for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

fin12 wrote: »
    Is there any place with lockers in town? That u can store a bag for a few hours.

https://radicalstorage.com/luggage-storage/cork#

Looking here brings up a few options. Not lockers but hotels, cafes etc that will store the bag for you.

https://radicalstorage.com/luggage-storage/cork#

Looking here brings up a few options. Not lockers but hotels, cafes etc that will store the bag for you.

Thanks I just did a booking, Comix Bistro, anyone know where that is?

• Advertisement

Thanks I just did a booking, Comix Bistro, anyone know where that is?

Comix Bistro
    7 Maylor St, Centre, Cork, T12 EC80
    (021) 427 8714
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ebKrqK2EeiG215ox5

Maylor Street, just off the top end of Patrick's St. to the side of Brown Thomas. Quite central!

Comix Bistro
    7 Maylor St, Centre, Cork, T12 EC80
    (021) 427 8714
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ebKrqK2EeiG215ox5

Maylor Street, just off the top end of Patrick's St. to the side of Brown Thomas. Quite central!

I just went on their Facebook page and they said they are temporarily closed, will they still take my bag? I better ring them 2morow ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I just went on their Facebook page and they said they are temporarily closed, will they still take my bag? I better ring them 2morow ,

Across from smyths, think I spotted a advert board outside there last week stating they are still open for takeaway

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Across from smyths, think I spotted a advert board outside there last week stating they are still open for takeaway

Ya but the most recent post is the 19th November, I couldn’t search the places before making the booking cause they only give the details after u make the booking.

It’s ok they got back to me and are taking the bag. Thanks Curb ur Ethusism.

Any pubs/restaurants in Cobh doing takeaway drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Another coffee kiosk has appeared across the road from the end of the Mardyke Walk.

533916.jpg

those poor trees

those poor trees

Why?

the pruning makes them look terrible when there are no , like the lough.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

the pruning makes them look terrible when there are no , like the lough.

Yeah they were butchered this time last year, to be honest barely expected them to survive but they did leaf up in the spring/summer. Cannot understand this in any circumstances, but from a church seems even more bizarre for some reason.

Anyway back to topic - theres a lot of coffee spots in that area now. Mardyke Arena (maybe not open), Centra Victoria Cross, the crepe stand behind the Kingsley, and Bosca. Nothing wrong with it if they can all pay the way - definitely speaks to the new fit lockdown Ireland going on

• Advertisement

Some of them causing issues with traffic backing up on the road and into the cycle lane however. Hopefully they sort something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Dennehy's Gym opening in Penrose Dock, 700k investment.

New Bicycle shop and Pizzaria opened across the road from each other on the Douglas West Road and Church Road junction. The bunch of commercial units on Church Road are full for the first time in decades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The pizzeria is Donatello's

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

JohnK wrote: »
    The pizzeria is Donatello's

I always thought there was something strange about that location. Takeaways have been opening and closing on that site for over 20 years but nothing else ever opens there except a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I always thought there was something strange about that location. Takeaways have been opening and closing on that site for over 20 years but nothing else ever opens there except a takeaway.

A lot of takeaway places would leave kitchen equipment in situ

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Looked like they totally gutted it and everything is brand new. Not sure mind, just what I've seen in passing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    A lot of takeaway places would leave kitchen equipment in situ

True, but none of the takeaways ever seemed to last very long. There must have been 5 or 6 takeaways there over the last 20 years. Marios, Indian Moon and others I can't recall the names of.

I think Donatellos will give it a good go, especially with Apache next door and spending a bit of money on the building. I think Donatellos has been around on the north side for years. The takeaways on that site over the years seemed to be single places with no sister takeaways like Donatellos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So there is a pop up going in there. Guinness store in Cork? Its Beamish down here lads :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

rob316 wrote: »
    So there is a pop up going in there. Guinness store in Cork? Its Beamish down here lads :pac:

...only around the corner from Sth. Main Street and all. For shame Diageo, for shame. Surely we must boycott this inferior establishment??

Advertisement