Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

arrowman wrote: »
    Yes I was assuming that Ireland would top pool A and had picked my SF to suit but then I saw this on Wikipedia

That seems to suggest the winners of pool A will be SF1??

Ignroe wiki id say.

as per the rwc website if we win our group and get passed NZ/SA (presumably) we'll be in SF2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just booked an apartment in Tokyo for the opening weekend. about €80 PN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

finbarrk wrote: »

Can you pm me the name if there are any rooms left?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

Did you book it direct or through an agent? I have been keeping an eye out through booking.com etc but there isnt much selections yet.

It was booking.com. You are right, not too many were available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2019-getting-ready-to-see-ireland-meet-the-world-in-japan-1.3571506

Shizuoka is hoping a sizeable contingent of the expected 400,000 foreign visitors will fall in love with this prefecture and pop into some of the local tourist attractions.

Just following on from what people were saying earlier on about visitor numbers. For some context, the Kiwis were only expecting 95,000 visitors and got 133,000. It could be quite a busy World Cup.

That's obviously balanced by the fact that far less Japanese would go to matches than Kiwis would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The pricing I have seen for this is beyond scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Has anyone come across a package that is somewhat reasonable/justifiable?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whitters22 wrote: »

The cheapest I've seen to date is 5k.

You won't get any reasonable packages, you'd have to book it yourself separately to get close to being reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The pricing I have seen for this is beyond scandalous.

From finbarkks link €5390 for flights, 10 nights 4star hotel, breakfasts, match tickets, transfers (coaches/trains), and some tours with English speaking guides seems reasonable enough to me.

Obviously it's aimed at a market who may not be comfortable doing things on their own and like having the package safety net, but I don't see anything scandalous about the pricing. The younger boards.ie demographic will likely do it cheaper with more meandering flights and navigating their own way on the subway system from airport to a more modest hotel or Airbnb, and figuring out themselves how to get from city to stadium and onto the next city.

But €5390 seems kinda ok to me for what you get? I thought it might be more to be honest.

Whitters22 wrote: »

No need to go on a package. Do it yourself for half the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Africa 1 will be decided this weekend.
    Namibia host Kenya. Namibia lead Kenya by 3 points so win for Kenya denying Namibia anything will give them first spot and a place in group B with New Zealand, South Africa and Italy
    Runner up enters repechage with Canada, Hong Kong and Germany

Namibia won 53-28 to qualify and are in group B.
    Kenya enter repechage

Germany have appointed Mike Ford as head coach ahead of the repechage in November in Marseille

The next ticket ballot opens on Wednesday. I'm getting less confident.
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/363201

What have you managed to get so far?

You'll still have the public sale in January. Japan is 8 hours ahead remember so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

troyzer wrote: »
    so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

it is not an online sale

the ballot application is open for a month and then winners are drawn from all applicants

there is no problem getting tickets to the pool games I'd say

The difficulty begins for the knockout games - these have been highlighted as high demand from early on

I got QF tickets but not SFs last time

Riskymove wrote: »
    it is not an online sale

the ballot application is open for a month and then winners are drawn from all applicants

I'm aware of that. Which is why I said the January sale. The ballot opens on Wednesday and winners are notified in November.

There is also a Ticketmaster style first-come, first-served sale in January for whatever tickets are left over.

• Advertisement

There is also a Ticketmaster style first-come, first-served sale in January for whatever tickets are left over.

ah right sorry

Riskymove wrote: »
    ah right sorry

No problem. There's unlikely to be anything decent in the January sale anyway so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Probably a silly question but what do you have to do before Wednesday? Register for what tickets you want? Or is it only form Wednesday you can register?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but what do you have to do before Wednesday? Register for what tickets you want? Or is it only form Wednesday you can register?

Create an account and then on Wednesday you create an application.

It's not time dependant so there's no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

Going off these figures, the travel agent packages dont seem that expensive; https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup-2019-how-much-will-it-cost-to-follow-ireland-in-japan-1.3629479

Come on lads. Don't let me down.

What have you managed to get so far?

You'll still have the public sale in January. Japan is 8 hours ahead remember so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

I did a couple of applications for the first weekends games in Yokohama in the initial ballot but got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Come on lads. Don't let me down.
    I have applied to the exact same as you in both ballots, except the bronze final. I got zilch in the front row ballot.

Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Usually tickets get freed up when we'll supported teams get knocked out or end up in an unexpected sidekof the draw, if we can get France or Australia or Argentina in a semi maybe we could get tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Usually tickets get freed up when we'll supported teams get knocked out or end up in an unexpected sidekof the draw, if we can get France or Australia or Argentina in a semi maybe we could get tickets.

Isn't it fixed that we'd be playing teams from pool B so SA or NZ?

Advertisement