Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭minitrue

No shocks in the Ireland game so winner takes it all against Spain for the promotion place.

Japan scored 4 trys to secure a bonus point and beat Samoa 32-10 so WXV 2 will go into it's last weekend with Italy (Vs USA) and Scotland (Vs Japan) the most likely winners with it coming down to point difference, though I think there has to be sets of results that could see USA or Japan take it yet (it would start with Italy and Scotland both losing with no bonus point). Italy and USA play last so they'll know what's needed at that point. Samoa will play South Africa with the loser finishing last, or South Africa if that's a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fotish

From RTÉ "During a press conference this morning, where it was clarified that winning the WXV3 division doesn't automatically deliver promotion to the second tier, which will depend on Six Nations placings"

Can anyone explain that? South Africa or Samoa will be last in WXV 2 so IF we win WXV 3 doesn't that mean even last in the 6N will end up in WXV 2? Or have they changed it all again?

As for flogging a dead horse, there's been a lot of very entertaining games so far, just not Ireland's! This weekend opens up with another world cup semi rematch, followed by the Scotland Vs Japan game that will decide just who can still win WXV 2 (right now 4 teams still could) and ends with a pair of games that will decide the WXV 2 and WXV 3 titles. The last two games tomorrow decide last places in WXV 2 (relegated) and WXV 3 (play-off).

Canada still haven't read the memo about the professional England team and how they can't compete with them. After over 15 phases in the English 22 around the half hour England are lucky they only concede a penalty and yellow for a deliberate knock-on blocking the try scoring pass to the Canadian winger who was in space. Canada kick to the corner and maul it over easily just to rub it in. England's only score before that (about 10 minutes) came from a horrible bounce and then the Canadian's full back's fingertips just couldn't quite ground it while England's just about could (stunning refereeing to call it right on the field, I was sure the Canadian had grounded it).

Sadly (to me) England end up mauling over 5 minutes later from a penalty given away by timing going just too early and taking out the 9. And then repeat it right on half-time after a lazy arm from De Goede gave away a high tackle penalty. 21-5 at half time is incredibly misrepresentative of the half we just had, the 7-5 score would have looked about right and it's reflected in the England brains trust staying on the field for a couple of minutes in serious conversation before they head in.

Are the Canadian women the easiest team in the world to support? I think they edge it over the Portuguese men simply because they're worth their top 4 spot and you always feel they could beat anyone.

Another frankly piss-poor attendance for a quality game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd agree, there is only one poster here giving blow by blow accounts of a tournament but no one is engaging with them.

Kind of shows how popular (or not) women's rugby actually is.

Next time there is a controversy in women's rugby and people come out of the woodwork to say how poorly the women's game is treated and how it should have more of this that and the other, point them here and ask where have they been?

• Advertisement

Ah yes, there wouldn't be any self-selection at all to using boards rugby topic as a barometer for interest in women's rugby.

And the scheduling and game timing of WXV certainly has absolutely nothing to do with how well it has managed to stay off the radar and there's certainly no way World Rugby intended or could forsee anything like that to happen.

And of anyone's lack of interest justifies sweeping anything and everything under the carpet cause sure it's only the women.

Meanwhile Canada open the scoring in the second half finally putting away one of their attempts at a NZ style response to turnover ball. Sadly since then England have managed to grind away and maul over another couple of tries to (I think) make it 4 for the hooker! Yellow for a head clash by a Canadian sub who tried to pull out as she realised she was the second (and superfluous) tackler hasn't helped.

33-12 on 67 minutes just doesn't feel like a fair reflection but no denying that England maul is a brutal and effective weapon and Canada just making a few too many unforced errors (as they had their second crooked in to a line out in England's half).

And right after I post that England finally run in a pair of tries in 2 minutes. First De Goede was just held off to set the fullback marauding and the Canadian scramble didn't cover the neat little pop out of the swarm tackle and then they make it around the edge by inches on the other side leaving a flying winger 1 on 1 with a full back attempting to cover who was fairly easily stepped. Canada just won't stop fighting but obviously the game long gone at this point, sigh and then they kick a penalty dead for an England scrum on the 22 instead of a Canadian line-out 5 out. They'll be gutted because while the scoreline looks like a blow-out the reality is they should feel it's another one that got away and it's been too many of their own small errors that cost them the chance to see how England reacted to being in a close game.

And with 77 minutes on the clock Canada again looked like they were in again and the final pass is just fired a little too high. That's just a minute or two after what should have been a final offload slips out and forward. I've no idea how many times Canada were a last pass away from another score but it was a lot more than 45-12 suggests.

Next stop Scotland Vs Japan at 1pm to figure out who could end up winning WXV 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see there is talk of a possible Lions tour for the women. Not sure how much sense it makes to copy and paste the men's format given the different dynamics in the women's game though. England would surely dominate any team and there would be little point touring e.g. South Africa right? The centres of power of the game are different.

The men's format would be an abject failure if they copy/pasted it, only NZ of the usual 3 would be worthwhile right now. France and Canada (in that order) would be the other candidates but I imagine only France and NZ could really be viable (mostly commercially). If they are going to do it I'd rather see Europe (mostly France/Italy), AustalAsia (NZ/Aus/Japan/Fiji/Samoa) and Americas (mostly Canada/USA) as their opponents but hard to imagine anyone can make that happen.

I'm sure England would have the majority of the selection though could easily depend on coach and style whether it was very close to an England team or more like half an England team.

• Advertisement

Japan are another fun team to watch who play the right way. They played with a big wind in the first half and have certainly kicked it enough ways and times to keep the Scots defense honest but their first instincts and thoughts are always to look to try and run the ball.

Bar one very kickable penalty they turned down Scotland never looked like scoring until the 32nd minute when they butchered a break and overlap. Japan's only try came from a quick tap where Scotland were a little switched off, got drawn in as they reacted and Japan got it out wide with a bouncing pass doing it's magic to freeze the scramble.

Japan will be annoyed they didn't manage to convert more chances and their territorial advantage to only get to 7-0 up. Scotland turned down 3 again with 30 seconds to go and took the scrum three times, despite Japan making the smart move of sending on a new prop for the 3rd the ref ran under the posts for a penalty try and yellow card to level it up 7-7 at the half. The Scottish scrum has certainly had a very clear upper hand.

Japan need to win with a bonus point and deny one to Scotland to keep alive their (and USAs) outside chances of taking the title. Hard to see that from here but it's going to be an interesting second half with Scotland playing with the wind, I suspect the result will all come down to the quality of their kick chase as Japan's handling of their kicks up to now has been superb and you know they will always be looking for the chance to run it back. I certainly won't be bothering to go split screen for this second half to keep an eye on the Kazakh's Vs Fiji.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

looks like another spanking on the cards in WVX3 fiji up 14 points to nil after 11 minutes.

21 nil after 15 minutes.

complete disparity of power

fiji tighthead just croc rolled kazakh 5 onto her leg, very very similar to what practically ended dan leavys career. 5 gone off injured

she got a yellow, doesnt seem like theres a review system. if so, disgraceful decision, as clear cut a red card as ive seen this year.

fiji up 33 - 0 after 25 minutes, still with a woman in the bin.

and Fiji hit 50 in the first 35 minutes

54-0

Scotland somehow managed to run rampant in the second half scoring 5 tries (31 points) unanswered! I did not expect that, no idea how to explain it tbh. Leaves Italy needing to win by 25 points or a very implausible but possible 24 point win where they score 6 tries more than the USA.

No real shock Fiji are slaughtering the Kazakh's, there's quite the gulf between the top and bottom 3 in WXV 3, for me the surprise result was Spain beating Fiji to setup tomorrow. With the next world cup having an expansion to 16 teams the arguments against giving the Kazakh's, Colombians and Kenyans these games makes a fun contrast to the complaints about the tier 2 and tier 3 men's teams not being exposed to the better sides outside of the world cups.

For the rest of today South Africa Vs Samoa (3:30) for the bottom of WXV 2 is far more likely to be a close scrap, probably Kenya Vs Colombia (4:30) to see who plays the Dutch to decide the destination of last WXV 3 spot will be also.

61-0 at half time

looks like fiji will break Irelands 109 against Kazakhstan. i cannot for the life of me see the point of these kind of games.

I'm going to put it down to teething issues with the competition in that the compliers of the comp really dont know / didnt know the relative standards of the teams coming into it. in WXV3 there are 3 clear strong teams in Fiji, Ireland and Spain, and 3 clearly weak teams in Kenya, Kazak and Colombia.

however, the match draws pitted only two games where the top 3 against each other... spain beating Fiji and the final game where ireland play spain. Hopefully in the next edition of this competition theres a draw where the top 3 play each other and one other of the weaker teams, making it more competitive and meritocratic.

on promotion / relegation from wxv3 to wxv2 its my understanding that its the region that is promoted / relegated, rather than the actual team.

So for example if south africa are relegated from WXV2, then the regional position they held (winner africa womens cup) is relegated to WVX3 next year. So lets say Kenya win teh AWC next year, they wont be in WXV2, but WXV3.

I can see why they said though that automatic promotion isnt guaranteed though.

Its a weird quirk that the 5th place 6N team play the Rugby Europe winner to see which goes into WXV3.

so there could be (by my reading) a situation next year where the 5th place 6N team goes into WXV3 while the bottom 6N team go into WXV2 by dint of ireland being promoted this year.

id imagine there might be more clarification to come on this

WXV 3 was originally announced as a 4 team round robin but they changed it to this garbage split pool format they are using in all 3. One of the weak 3 still would have been lambs to the slaughter and had no games they could really target with the original format but at least a straight 6 team round robin would have given them 2 to target and likewise made sure Ireland also played Fiji. I don't expect any change in the draw next time out as I'm virtually certain it was seeded by world ranking?

As for the promotion/relegation question, you are on to something vis-a-vis the play-off which I'd forgotten about but are they really running that again? I kinda thought that was just for the first edition. It really can't make any sense to play-off every year but I'd put nothing past World Rugby.

I don't think there can be any way your reading is right, if Ireland go up afaiu that means the 6N get an extra spot in WXV 2 so the insanity would become 6th now plays-off against the Europe winner, a potential Ireland Vs Spain rematch. Equally insane would be Spain get Europe a spot in WXV 2 but then have to play-off for it. I think bottom of WXV 3 playing the top ranked side (Netherlands) is the only play-off now (unless you count the regional spots to decide who gets into which slots).

And I got distracted and confused and missed the first 15 of South Africa Vs Samoa! Saffers have 2 tries and 12-0 up already! I'm tempted to go back and rewatch how it happened ... I might do it at half time though (at least rugbypass let's you).

To compare to the newly announced men's thing, for WXV 1 they could at least have carried over the 6N/P4N results so it can't potentially come down to how well England and France beat the 3 P4N teams without having played each other. Obviously for WXV 2 and WXV 3 they can't carry results over just like for the men they'll have a problem unless the 2 extra teams are added to the RC.

Wow, South Africa run in a 3rd try. Making it look like Fiji and Samoa (bar say Tonga producing a massive shock in the Oceania cup) will both end up in WXV 3 next time! Fiji can only have themselves to blame for losing to Samoa and Spain but you can only imagine they will be raging.

• Advertisement

As for the promotion/relegation question, you are on to something vis-a-vis the play-off which I'd forgotten about but are they really running that again? I kinda thought that was just for the first edition. It really can't make any sense to play-off every year but I'd put nothing past World Rugby.

I don't think there can be any way your reading is right, if Ireland go up afaiu that means the 6N get an extra spot in WXV 2 so the insanity would become 6th now plays-off against the Europe winner, a potential Ireland Vs Spain rematch. Equally insane would be Spain get Europe a spot in WXV 2 but then have to play-off for it. I think bottom of WXV 3 playing the top ranked side (Netherlands) is the only play-off now (unless you count the regional spots to decide who gets into which slots).

yeah its as clear as mud.

as you say it would be ridiculous for spain to win WXV3, and then for them to have to have to play off to get to WXV2. However would it make sense in that situation for Italy to come second in WXV2 and yet be relegated to WXV3 next year if they came 5th in the 6N ? the games would be even more one sided.

i havent seen anything about the permutations of promotion / relegation other than whats on WR site

oh... finished up 118 - 0

The whole playing for your regions spots thing is interesting/unusual but I can't say it's tragically flawed. I'm going to continue working on the assumption that there are no more play-offs except for next highest outside Vs last in WXV 3, for example world rugby say the loser of this Samoa/South Africa game lose their regions spot in WXV 2, not that they'll be playing off.

I'm also going to presume 5th in the 6N cannot end up in WXV 3 next time as Scotland/Italy won't be last so they have secured the spots in WXV 2 for 4th/5th. So I'll rephrase your question as would it make sense for Italy to finish 2nd in WXV 2 this time and end up in WXV 3 next time if they came last in the 6N? And I'd say yes on the basis of accepting the places are for regional slots not teams and if you come last in the 6N and last in the 6N couldn't get out of WXV 3 (so Ireland lose to Spain) that's ok. Strange but ok. Of course Italy or Scotland could win WXV 2 and end up in WXV 3 in that case or even England or France could win WXV 1 and end up in WXV 3 but can you really argue against it if they came last in the 6N lol

So anyway, I really can't see how Ireland cannot end up in WXV 2 if they win WXV 3 as surely they win the extra spot for the 6N in WXV 2. It's going to be really stupid somehow if that's the case.

Scrumqueens added the info for me that it's the Dutch who would be playing off for the last WXV 3 spot but it's all indeed as clear as mud with little reporting (I wonder what most rugby journalists are paying attention to right now)! I couldn't even find the rules for how tie-breaks would be handled anywhere (a 3 or even 4-way 10 point tie in WXV 2 was possible before the Scotland Vs Japan result).

I'm really surprised South Africa beat Samoa easily but they did (33-7) to retain the African spot and condemn the Pacific teams to WXV 3. It did seem like a much improved South African performance but like the Scotland Vs Japan and England Vs Canada games the scoreline reads a lot wider than the games felt.

I hate the bloody overlapping start times! Kenya going in at half time 18-5 up so looking like South America will lose their spot in WXV unless they can produce a shock to beat the Dutch.

Another good thing about all this, as half-arsed as I think it is, is it should help sort out the rankings outside the top 10, would you believe the Kazakh's were a spot ahead of Fiji going into today!

yeah thats why im putting it down to teething in the first year. i actually think they were 2 positions higher.

The thing we haven't mentioned is that of course the announcement last week included the women when it came to player release windows anyway. I really wouldn't be shocked at all if they completely rewrite the WXV rules or even completely restructure everything from scratch before they even get to the next edition! For me it really should stand at least in it's basic shape up to the next world cup but I of course would say they should add promotion/relegation from WXV 1 immediately and make it a round robin. I'm absolutely fine with seeing two England Vs France and NZ Vs Canada games a year and that's the only sane way to do it that lets someone outside 6N/P4N break in to WXV 1 on merit ;)

Kenya couldn't fully put away Colombia early but no scores in the second half until Kenya slotted a penalty on 75 minutes to open up a 16 point lead (21-5 which is how it finished) meant they never really let them back in either. So a good day for the Africans and Colombia (I presume as does the commentator, some South American team anyway) will have to get past the Dutch to keep a WXV spot.

On the wild assumption the relevant parts of the format remain, it will be interesting to see what if anything World Rugby do to make sure the next teams in the rankings for the play-off to get in have played enough relevant games that their ranking makes more sense than the Kazakhs and Fijis did.

Pretty good start from Wales but as soon as they gave up the first try it turned into a slaughter. Were already 2 trys down when they got a yellow for a hair pull, 2 trys while at 14 and the 5th (and 4th for Tui) as soon as they were back to 15. Wales did well to stem the flow and manage to keep NZ out for the last 10 minutes of the 1st half and even spend most of it in the NZ half, though without looking like scoring.

Wales tried to come out firing for the second half but it just turned into coughing up penalties so was out to 41-0 before NZ decided to join the penalty party for a couple of minutes and get Wales up to their line where they ground it onto the whitewash to avoid a whitewash. Joyce on the Welsh wing was spectacular, saved at least 4 tries all on her own with great tackle/poachs.

70-7 (12 trys, all the missed conversions from wide and close) shows the gap Wales have to close to the top. Italy for me are the only one who could produce a shock win against the big guns but they butchered the last 6N (bar the opening 12-22 Vs France and putting us away) so can't complain they didn't get their shot here and are left having to try and hammer USA to pip Scotland to the WXV 2 title instead.

Guessing the biggest crowd yet but that could be 20% capacity. Be interesting to see how many stay for game 2 and if the England game next week (with the men's world cup over) will bring in a big crowd.

You wouldn't think the French can quite as destructive a job against the Aussies under the roof at 7, you would think the perfect conditions would help the Aussies but I'll be shocked if France don't win comfortably, unless they've taken this one for granted.

Crowd has thinned out an awful lot and they are missing a good one. France getting isolated too often and Australia getting a lot of poaches which has them open the scoring early and then retake the lead 12-7 on 24 minutes despite playing most of the first half in their own half. Both teams looking to run the ball a lot but enough varied kicking to keep the defences honest, though quite a few of the little chips have been ill advised or executed. French try came from an attempt to clear they ran back from half way with pace and good hands down the short side. First Aussie try had a bit of fortune with a loose offload attempt bouncing kindly into hands while the second came off their 10th phase which ended with the backline find a disconnect in the French line but again a wild offload to try and keep it going fell kindly for them.

I will say there's been a handful of French poach attempts where I'd have given them a penalty but I think their coaches focus at half time will be protecting their own ball, they've really taken the pressure off and given the Aussies a foothold there, not just poaches but had it ripped a few times, though the Aussies have done well to exploit it and take their scarce chances. Aussie lineout has also been solid while the French has been poor.

Not many 3 scrums and graphic came up saying each team has only given away one penalty at 34 minutes. And now finally the French do get a penalty from a poach and decide to take the 3 which has to be down to the misfiring lineout. Aussies get away with diving on the ball coming out of a ruck and then what looked like hanging on to prevent another good French poach to finish the half with the ball in the French half but going nowhere before they are bundled into touch. Still go in 12-10 up and very much in the game!

French lineout starts the second half mauling 15m until Aussies concede the inevitable penalty and kick to 5m, can't repeat the maul but ends with another penalty for offside, they go for the corner again and overthrow.

10 minutes later and the Aussies go through a mountain of phases again in the French 22 before finally punching over but again there were 2 wild offloads/throws back to try and keep the ball alive in those phases where the Aussies were extremely lucky to keep it. French reply immediately with a steal and the newly arrived Sansus shepherds them up to and over the line but for the second time in the game it's held up. 10-19 with 26 to go.

Immediately Sansus dances around from the drop out until eventually finding a killer pass to send them deep into the Aussie 22 but another Aussie poach removes the pressure. And then again a couple of minutes later the French break back into the 22 but the Aussies in on the poach again to win the penalty. Some of it is simply running too far away from support but they just aren't committing to clearing out. And sure enough the Aussies throw in crooked and France go down the short side from the scrum and 3 of them (and Sansus who I'd forgive for this if not the last) are standing off the tackle slowly happening in front of them and let the Aussie clamp in on the ball before they start to get in to clear. That leads to another penalty where they kick the 3. 10-22 inside the last 20.

Finally France get another poach penalty of their own off a chip from Sansus and they kick it dead then concede a penalty in the scrum to turn what should have been a 5m lineout into an Aussie lineout 5m into the French half! The Aussies have to believe it's their day at this point. Penalty after penalty against the French until the Aussie prop Kaprani picks up a hat-trick with a short pick. 10-29 with 9 to go.

French finally not only win a 5m line out but get the maul over the line and the ball down. Miss the not easy conversion, 15-29 with 4.5 to go, they can't, can they? Nope, a wild pass dropped in their own half ends all hope. Even after they get it back when Sansus sweeps around to tidy up a dangerous chip into space France amazingly kick it into touch and then when the Aussie lineout misfires Vernier tries a cross-field kick-pass and sticks it into touch again! After the hooter Vernier does get in at the corner to at least give them a kick for a losing bonus point but that slides past to finish 29-20.

I'd felt the Aussies might have been on an upward trajectory but didn't think the French would give them a chance let alone give it up so easily. Fair play to the Aussies though, they fought like you would expect, rode their luck and took their chances! I wouldn't like to be a French player in the dressing room after this and the interview with the French coach really seemed to confirm that saying they'd been schooled on the ground and needed to work on the basics for next week against Canada in the world cup 3rd/4th replay while the world cup final replay could see NZ spoil the England party again while I'm pretty sure the Aussies could yet finish 2nd if they beat Wales!

Next stop Ireland Vs Spain at 2pm to see who tops WXV 3 and gets their "region" the promotion spot.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, yellow for co captain Edel McMahon after about 2 minutes, lucky but in keeping with what we've seen that it wasn't red thanks to it being a double tackle so the player was coming down slightly when she hit her.

Never thought before, is it co-captains just to try and make it that much less likely we lose our captain again within another year? At least not unless we lose them both :-o

Advertisement