Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I'm tempted to go in on Chegg today with their earnings out later this evening. Theyve shown excellent growth and seem to be a top choice for online learning (which certainly isn't going any where soon).

Anyones thoughts on how the market will react to the elections next week. There was a discussion on Dem Vs Republican but I can't find it.

would say good results are already priced in my opinion check the increase in SP since mid-sep, if anything if earnings are not as expected you can see a sell-off... Probably we'll see a weakness today in IT stocks due to SAP earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

would say good results are already priced in my opinion check the increase in SP since mid-sep, if anything if earnings are not as expected you can see a sell-off... Probably we'll see a weakness today in IT stocks due to SAP earnings.

Appreciate the input! I'm starting to think Fastly is going to keep falling now. Might follow same path as SAP after earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

PHG wrote: »
    Currently Own:

Stock Strategy (UK Stocks)
    Clipper Logistics
    Spirent Communications
    Keyword Studios
    Plus 500

Watchlist

Volex Plc but it is on a Yellow card atm

Speculative Strategy
    Long S&P
    Long BoI
    Long Bitcoin

Anyone else trade UK Shares? Not looking to compare strategies, just curious

My speculative strategy is with Degiro but the the stock strategy is all done via Spreadbetting.

Out of Clipper as of this morning, hit my trailed stop loss. Was my main holding and in there since early June so not a bad finish.

Still own all of the others above but thinking of closing out BoI completely now for a few points gain. But need a better look when have time tonight

Spirent is on a yellow card also as no push on from the highs in early August. Been in since mid/late June so unrealised PnL after costs is about 7%.

Plus 500 results tomorrow!

Volex no longer on watch list as could not get any safe entry.

S&P will probably hold until after the santa rally (if there is one).

Bitcoin going is now at resistance area so watching that with a very close eye but my holdings are small (was my fun trade to keep me disciplined)

My Keywords Studio holding is now in yellow card territory. I have held it for 2 months and no gains. I have a rule, that if not in profit within 3 months (and SL not hit) then get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

My entire portfolio is down big time today. Seems the entire market has had a bad day

Second Wave numbers have spooked the markets.
    tempted to add some Oil names, but reckon there's more to come.

• Advertisement

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    My entire portfolio is down big time today. Seems the entire market has had a bad day

Just pretend you're colour blind and it'll be fine. Don't pretend when driving though!

But I'm the same, overall 15% down on my entire portfolio. Was hoping to be out before the election but here I am. My house deposit is at play! It'll be fine, be green by Wednesday!

Appreciate the input! I'm starting to think Fastly is going to keep falling now. Might follow same path as SAP after earnings.

I could be wrong but Fastly already had a sell-off on the expected lower revenue so any positives might push the SP higher. I'm holding mine with a Stop loss under 73.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tim: *Must remain calm*, this is normal, the stock market takes the stairs up but esculator down lol.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Jim2007 wrote: »
    When you show no inclination to do the hard work and deliver up well throughout recommendations... would anyone be motivated to share their hard work with you?

Just expressing opinions of the back of talking heads does means you don't bring anything to the table in return.

ok so I take that as a NO ....
    you dont have any actual Share picks to put up in this thread.

dats cool , free country .

I could be wrong but Fastly already had a sell-off on the expected lower revenue so any positives might push the SP higher. I'm holding mine with a Stop loss under 73.

Yeah I get what you mean, but there was the big sell off, and its been a drip sell every day. Lots of resistance at 74, can see that ARRK ETF and Cathy Wood (apparently she's important going by message boards) have added it to their portfolio but its currently sitting at 73.50~ I don't want to be a bag holder but I'm 20% down right now on it. This tends to happen when I make big plays :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

AGL Energy ltd, an Australian energy utility.

20% undervalued, the SP has been steadily falling since Feb. Didvidend yield is 7.43%, revenue is down 15.3% but profit is up almost 33% and the PE is 8.34

Don't catch a sliding knife, perhaps, but it looks oversold to me and solid as a long term hold.

Rothmans wrote: »
    I bought TILS last week at 180p. Thought it had a good bit of promise to roll up to £2+ by the end of the month as it is to have a 1 for 1 demerger at the end of the month. However, it seems to be struggling to break above the 180 mark. The twiterati seem to be putting this down to US MMs keeping the price suppressed and it's only a matter if time before it shoots up, but whether that's true could be anyone's guess .

It has a promising pipeline, including a potential covid treatment similar to the one which was used on Trump, and that Pipeline the main reason I'm in it.

(I referred to its US ticket TLSA last week, but decided to stay away from the Nasdaq on this one.)

Im on board with them also.
    They are spinning off an in house product (StemPrinter) into a seperate company to extract value in that. There will be shares in the new company Accustem issued to holders of record end of day tomorrow (open to correction)
    You can pick them up TILS on AIM or via an ADR - TLSA in Frankfurt or Nasdaq. Ultimately they will look to list Accustem on Nasdaq.

What a crazy red day, went for a very long cycle , came home and crashed , logged on and see all markets are down. We knew it was coming , pre election sell off compounded by Europe going into a major lockdown cos of Covid, my portfolio is weighted in that sector, lets see if it holds firm thru the week.
    Hang in there , I expect the guy who can remember the name of his opponent will win and we will have a bigly market rally in 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

For those who use Degiro. When transfering funds to have them available in your account, but not ready to put them into anything just yet, what do you do? Seems the automatic option of EUR Money Market Fund is negative so it's costing me money every day (Not a lot but still...). Also does this fund remain static in the case of a sudden down turn? I'd have kept the money in my current account but it takes too much time to get it over to Degiro if a good investment comes along.

=================================

Reminder: your current balance may be exceeding the compensation limit
    We remind you that DEGIRO compensates the negative return resulting from current market interest rates and fund management fees for the first 2500 EUR of participations. For more information about Money Market Funds and our current compensation policy please click here.

If you want to avoid negative return in the Money Market Funds, some of the options are the following:
    Invest into other financial products
    Withdraw your money to your bank account

=================================

NCYT .. day 2 of NCYT gettting battered.

So lets see where we are at, Germany, France and US all reported record cases this week.
    Entering the winter months, expecations and rumours are rife that further levels of lockdown are going to be implemented across Europe.
    Rumours of a vaccine but we will still need testing for many many years.
    NCYT havent had an RNS or sales update so this drop is based on 'no specific NCYT news'.
    And the LSE chat board goes down, second time during these drops, call me a conspiracy tin hat guy.
    Ive seen this pattern before , many times, Im holding and will pick up some more .

Second Wave numbers have spooked the markets.
    tempted to add some Oil names, but reckon there's more to come.

I made a chunk on oil (on paper) when we exited the first wave , but held too long. Ive exited oil and will use it to offset CGT.

I think your right to consider oil, I am of the same mind, but its all about the timing.
    Theres no sign we are coming out of this second wave.
    Libya is going to restart full production. Refinerys are overflowing. Biden will be bad for oil , so election comes into play. And if anything winters are getting milder, alot of energy companies reported low profits this year due to a realtively mild winter . I know gas is a huge part of domestic heating but so is oil.

Anyways its a sector to keep an eye on for sure. Question is when to catch the falling knife .

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

LivexLive is a music streaming platform. They are putting together online concerts in the coming weeks and have signed up some big names. Might be worth a look for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cronos wrote: »
    For those who use Degiro. When transfering funds to have them available in your account, but not ready to put them into anything just yet, what do you do? Seems the automatic option of EUR Money Market Fund is negative so it's costing me money every day (Not a lot but still...). Also does this fund remain static in the case of a sudden down turn? I'd have kept the money in my current account but it takes too much time to get it over to Degiro if a good investment comes along.
    it's about -.5% per annum so for every €1000 you have in MMF, you lose about 2c a day. Don't lose sleep over it

............... overall 15% down on my entire portfolio. Was hoping to be out before the election but here I am. My house deposit is at play! It'll be fine, be green by Wednesday!

I hope you're joking ............ this topic seems to be more aspiring market timers then investors but if you plan to buy in the next 5 years your deposit shouldn't be played with.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I made a chunk on oil (on paper) when we exited the first wave , but held too long. Ive exited oil and will use it to offset CGT.

I think your right to consider oil, I am of the same mind, but its all about the timing.
    Theres no sign we are coming out of this second wave.
    Libya is going to restart full production. Refinerys are overflowing. Biden will be bad for oil , so election comes into play. And if anything winters are getting milder, alot of energy companies reported low profits this year due to a realtively mild winter . I know gas is a huge part of domestic heating but so is oil.

Anyways its a sector to keep an eye on for sure. Question is when to catch the falling knife .

I agree, it's difficult to time... so I'm nibbling a bit when I see a big drop...got some Apache yesterday

I agree, it's difficult to time... so I'm nibbling a bit when I see a big drop...got some Apache yesterday

I like APA too , them and MRO will be ones I pick up when I re-enter.
    Good call buying yesterday, BP announced a profit this morning maybe the oil sector will bounce back .

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I hope you're joking ............ this topic seems to be more aspiring market timers then investors but if you plan to buy in the next 5 years your deposit shouldn't be played with.

Nah I wasn't being fully serious, suppose it depends on the size of the house I want. I started 3 years ago and one really bad investment set me back (70% hit because I didn't know my arse from my elbow), since then I've been taking 1/2 of my wage with 1/2 of that into my credit union and 1/2 in my investment account (maybe not 1/2 every month like when the six nations is on).

My credit union is my actual deposit the 20% has been hit, the investment is on top of deposit or maybe some of it depending on the house (Nice TV couch etc)

But I appreciate the note. 3 years later looking at fastly its evident I still don't know my arse from my elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Can we access the hong kong or Star Market market via Degiro? Ant group (alipay) is going to IPO so need to be able to access that stock exchange.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1027/1174102-ant-group-ipo/

I like APA too , them and MRO will be ones I pick up when I re-enter.
    Good call buying yesterday, BP announced a profit this morning maybe the oil sector will bounce back .

their outlook is grim, so not sure a small profit will do much to pacify the Oil investors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Can we access the hong kong or Star Market market via Degiro? Ant group (alipay) is going to IPO so need to be able to access that stock exchange.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1027/1174102-ant-group-ipo/

You can access Hong Kong yes, not sure what Star Market is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Kilboor wrote: »
    You can access Hong Kong yes, not sure what Star Market is

Its the other duel market it is launching in.
    Shanghai Stock Exchange STAR Market

Ah if Hong Kong is on it, then all good. Been waiting years for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have a few shares in NEE that closed yesterday at $302. This morning the price has collapsed to $75.80, but I can't find any reason for such a dramatic drop. Anyone have any insight? Im a bit confused to the reason. The earnings call was last week so that isn't the reason.

Any ideas?

NCYT .. day 2 of NCYT gettting battered.

So lets see where we are at, Germany, France and US all reported record cases this week.
    Entering the winter months, expecations and rumours are rife that further levels of lockdown are going to be implemented across Europe.
    Rumours of a vaccine but we will still need testing for many many years.
    NCYT havent had an RNS or sales update so this drop is based on 'no specific NCYT news'.
    And the LSE chat board goes down, second time during these drops, call me a conspiracy tin hat guy.
    Ive seen this pattern before , many times, Im holding and will pick up some more .

that was some tree shake that kicked in when we opened .. dropped to 9.73 and now back 11.76, up 15% from open and 3% from yesterdays close and green in Paris ... I hope no one needs a change of underwear ..

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I have a few shares in NEE that closed yesterday at $302. This morning the price has collapsed to $75.80, but I can't find any reason for such a dramatic drop. Anyone have any insight? Im a bit confused to the reason. The earnings call was last week so that isn't the reason.

Any ideas?

Search $NEE on twitter, I saw 4:1 stock split mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

cefh17 wrote: »
    Search $NEE on twitter, I saw 4:1 stock split mentioned

Excellent, thanks. From looking at Twitter I wasn't the only one shocked by such a dramatic change in price! But that is good news, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭littlevillage

that was some tree shake that kicked in when we opened .. dropped to 9.73 and now back 11.76, up 15% from open and 3% from yesterdays close and green in Paris ... I hope no one needs a change of underwear ..

Very volatile SP. Got out myself at a decent 25% profit. Basically a free weeks wages. Thank you RIGOLO.

Might jump back in again during one of those extreme early morning shake-downs.

Advertisement