Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Fair play. When they're accepting them you're getting a serious deal.

I just wouldnt go in expecting them to do it in other stores, it's a bonus if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

RossieMan wrote: »
    Fair play. When they're accepting them you're getting a serious deal.

I just wouldnt go in expecting them to do it in other stores, it's a bonus if they do.

Sadly i used the last of my tesco ones this week, only have the ones from dunnes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco finest basmati rice is 1.99 for 1kg. (standard brand 1kg basmati is 1.19)

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258353518

This is not advertised as an offer, I cannot recall the previous price but I think it was near 3euro or more. The 500g bag is 1.79.

In the UK the same 1kg bag is £3 https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258353518

UK standard basmati is £1.60 vs 1.19euro here.

I have often said many of the best offers are not advertised, and it is usually so they can price match, but do it on the sly (e.g. for what must be a few years now 1kg standard tesco caster sugar is 1.09 with only a few bags on the shelf, while the huge pallet of value granulated 1kg sugar beside it is 1.19).

But I am not sure why the finest basmati would be so cheap compared to the UK, as for price comparison purposes they already have 3 types of basmati which is cheaper, value, regular and "easy cook". They have organic which is dearer.

Tilda 1kg white basmati is 6.99, tilda 500g is currently half price at 1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco finest basmati rice is 1.99 for 1kg. (standard brand 1kg basmati is 1.19)

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258353518

This is not advertised as an offer, I cannot recall the previous price but I think it was near 3euro or more. The 500g bag is 1.79.

In the UK the same 1kg bag is £3 https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258353518

UK standard basmati is £1.60 vs 1.19euro here.

I have often said many of the best offers are not advertised, and it is usually so they can price match, but do it on the sly (e.g. for what must be a few years now 1kg standard tesco caster sugar is 1.09 with only a few bags on the shelf, while the huge pallet of value granulated 1kg sugar beside it is 1.19).

But I am not sure why the finest basmati would be so cheap compared to the UK, as for price comparison purposes they already have 3 types of basmati which is cheaper, value, regular and "easy cook". They have organic which is dearer.

Tilda 1kg white basmati is 6.99, tilda 500g is currently half price at 1.99

That is a good price but my wife is Asian and said the basmati is rubbish :confused: she says the best rice she has found is the cheap one in Dunnes for 1.19 per kg, and will not buy any other. I must admit, it is good rice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If looking for quality basmati rice get it in 10kg bags from Amazon, quality difference to our 500gm or 1kg packs is significant, been doing it for years and would never touch a supermarket again, rice is very hard to go off, in fact we buy aged rice in any case so don’t worry if you think 10kgs is too much

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

slave1 wrote: »
    If looking for quality basmati rice get it in 10kg bags from Amazon, quality difference to our 500gm or 1kg packs is significant, been doing it for years and would never touch a supermarket again, rice is very hard to go off, in fact we buy aged rice in any case so don’t worry if you think 10kgs is too much

What’s the brand name and cost?

Phil1969 wrote: »
    That is a good price but my wife is Asian and said the basmati is rubbish :confused:
    This sounds like she is saying basmati in general is rubbish? rather than a particular brand.

Most Asian countries do not use basmati, it is not sticky so not suited to eating with chopsticks, it has a lot of flavour relative to other rice so if someone who was eating other rice all their life had it I imagine it would be offputting. These are the 2 reasons I prefer it!

There can be political/trade reasons too
    http://inchincloser.com/the-chinese-dont-eat-basmati/

if going to 10kg bags watch out for mice! the indian owned asian supermarkets would be more likely to have good basmati.

-back to bargains. A lot of soft drinks are on offer.

fanta, lilt 1.75L E1.07

club orange & 7up 2L are 2 for 3euro

diet coke (2L), coke zero (2L) and regular coke (1.75L) are 3 for a fiver

This sounds like she is saying basmati in general is rubbish? rather than a particular brand.

Most Asian countries do not use basmati, it is not sticky so not suited to eating with chopsticks, it has a lot of flavour relative to other rice so if someone who was eating other rice all their life had it I imagine it would be offputting. These are the 2 reasons I prefer it!

Yeah, it is the Basmati she does not like although no way the worse. But, your right she has grew up eating rice that her family has grown :) so difficult to switch. I still like Basmati :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

Good price on Hennessy 35 back to 25and Jack Daniel 34 down to 20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The 400g can of chickpeas seems like a bargain compared to the 210g can :pac:

447005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vicwatson wrote: »
    What’s the brand name and cost?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Badshah-Basmati-Rice-10-kg/dp/B00432JB9M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522518506&sr=8-1&keywords=basmati+rice+10kg

Badshah, £12 a bag at the minute, free P&P once your total order is over £25

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Has anyone heard from tesco the official word on using multiple vouchers per transaction?
    Say you have 2x €10 off €50 can you just spend €50 use the 2 vouchers thus getting you're shop for €30 or do you have to spend €100 to use both vouchers? I know some people have had success with the first option which would be great if it's the official word rather than a mistake by some stores :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No it's not the official way. They do it in some stores, but officially it's wrong. It's one spend and save per transaction amount. So 10 off 50, two 10 off 50 for 100 etc.

I've enquired before.

Has anyone heard from tesco the official word on using multiple vouchers per transaction?
    Say you have 2x €10 off €50 can you just spend €50 use the 2 vouchers thus getting you're shop for €30 or do you have to spend €100 to use both vouchers? I know some people have had success with the first option which would be great if it's the official word rather than a mistake by some stores :)

Ditto. You have to spend 100 to use 2 x 10 euro spend vouchers.

https://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/

Just bought some Tesco Fruit and Fibre 750g for 0.89 cents and the 500g right next to it is 1.05 euro. It shows if you really pay attention when shopping you can save a lot of cash especially when you can use Dunnes money/spend vouchers in Tesco too. I love these supermarket price wars!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

On the vouchers, I was only allowed use two one one transaction.
    I had 140 worth of shopping.
    Used a 10 off 40 and 12 off 60 on one bit, and a 10 off 40 on the other.

opus wrote: »
    The 400g can of chickpeas seems like a bargain compared to the 210g can :pac:
    This is likely price matching again.

Another is a diluteable tesco lemon drink, which is really nice BTW, I prefer it to any other brand, and a friend was saying the same.

The 1.5L is 1.15
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=280761004

the 750ml of the exact same stuff is 1.49

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263586675

It is odd since they have similar "price range"/packaged ones which are 1.15 for 1.5L but 89cent for the small one.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    On the vouchers, I was only allowed use two one one transaction.
    I had 140 worth of shopping.
    Used a 10 off 40 and 12 off 60 on one bit, and a 10 off 40 on the other.

Yeah says in their rules that you can only use 1 competitors spend vouchers per transaction and only 2 per customer per day, not sure how they would manage to control that tho unless you put your club card thru each transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Phil1969 wrote: »
    Just bought some Tesco Fruit and Fibre 750g for 0.89 cents and the 500g right next to it is 1.05 euro. It shows if you really pay attention when shopping you can save a lot of cash especially when you can use Dunnes money/spend vouchers in Tesco too. I love these supermarket price wars!

What did you think of the Fruit & Fibre?
    I bought that Tesco one twice before and both times it was extremely stingy on the fruit; it was mainly flakes.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I bought that Tesco one twice before and both times it was extremely stingy on the fruit; it was mainly flakes.

It is ok but I think Aldi's is a little better.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »

as a kid I loved raisins or currants in cereals, so simply used to add my own. I like them plumped up so would put them in milk in the fridge overnight (stole the idea from Roald Dahl for other reasons!).

Not sure what you are comparing tesco to, but tesco fruit & fibre is
    Wholewheat, Mixed Fruit (26%), Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Roasted Hazelnuts (1%), Salt, Sunflower Oil, Iron, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

Mixed Fruit contains: Raisins, Toasted Coconut Flakes, Dried Sweetened Banana Chips (Banana, Coconut Oil, Sugar, Flavouring), Dried Apple.

while kelloggs is
    Wholewheat (68%), Dried Fruit (27%) (Raisins, Coconut, Banana {Banana, Coconut Oil, Sugar, Flavouring}, Apple, Hazelnuts), Sugar, Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Vitamins & Minerals: Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12

Notice the use of brackets. Kelloggs include the hazelnuts in their 27%, and tesco have 1% hazelnuts listed separately, so they are pretty much equal.

I hold the open top and turn upside down so they mix back up, otherwise stuff can settle at the bottom.

Nuts can be got in the baking section cheaply. If you roast and/or salt your own you save the 23% VAT charge too! many do not know this is why they are so much cheaper, or even think of looking in the baking section. The cashews in tescos baking section are very good, and the cheapest per kg in the place. The "value" cashews are not great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

Can you use the dunnes stores voucher to buy phone credit?

normakelle wrote: »

Pretty sure the answer is no as you can not in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

normakelle wrote: »

Couldn't buy phone credit in tesco oranmore yesterday using a voucher, but was never refused in tesco claremorris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Smarties mini eggs scanning at 49 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Nuts can be got in the baking section cheaply. If you roast and/or salt your own you save the 23% VAT charge too! many do not know this is why they are so much cheaper, or even think of looking in the baking section. The cashews in tescos baking section are very good, and the cheapest per kg in the place. The "value" cashews are not great at all.

As an aside, If you happen to have an airfryer, you can roast nuts in it very easily and quickly - for example I regularly do a handful of peanuts at 160c for 4 minutes without preheating. I find it's a lot less troublesome than doing them in the oven - no preheating and no forgetting to take them out and ending up with burnt nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Couldn't buy phone credit in tesco oranmore yesterday using a voucher, but was never refused in tesco claremorris.

What voucher were you using to buy credit?

I have bought phone credit in Tesco Oranmore previously, only a few weeks ago, at Cust Service counter - I find it the best Tesco all round. I think it might have been a Tesco money off a spend voucher and we checked the T&C at CS counter because I was surprised it being allowed, I don't think it mentioned phone credit as being excluded.

I have found Tesco Claremorris to be the most unreasonable and rude store to deal with EVER in terms of using competitors vouchers, returns, etc and I do a lot of my shopping in Tesco stores. I queried something with them recently as they refused to do a return.... when I said I had done a similar return in Galway in recent weeks, she said "Go To Galway then" .. so I did and returned no problems .. I have found several staff there to be exceptionally rude in Claremorris, this was not a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

holly8 wrote: »
    gerard2210 wrote: »

Dunnes 10 off 50 that was in the Advertiser last Thursday.

holly8 wrote: »

I have bought phone credit in Tesco Oranmore previously, only a few weeks ago, at Cust Service counter - I find it the best Tesco all round. I think it might have been a Tesco money off a spend voucher and we checked the T&C at CS counter because I was surprised it being allowed, I don't think it mentioned phone credit as being excluded.

I have found Tesco Claremorris to be the most unreasonable and rude store to deal with EVER in terms of using competitors vouchers, returns, etc and I do a lot of my shopping in Tesco stores. I queried something with them recently as they refused to do a return.... when I said I had done a similar return in Galway in recent weeks, she said "Go To Galway then" .. so I did and returned no problems .. I have found several staff there to be exceptionally rude in Claremorris, this was not a one off.

Complain to head office about rude staff at Tesco, they take complaints very seriously :)

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    As an aside, If you happen to have an airfryer, you can roast nuts in it very easily and quickly - for example I regularly do a handful of peanuts at 160c for 4 minutes without preheating.
    I do exactly that! I do mine a little longer and at 200C as I like them darker. It is good doing your own as you can brown as much as you want.

I liquidise salt in my ninja blender which turns it to a fine powder. This sticks very evenly to the nuts. Also good for skinny chips/fries.

The toasted nuts taste far better than the ones that cost almost twice the price per kg. And they are absolutely amazing when still warm, but even cooled down I find them a lot nicer

I use them in Chinese cooking and the sauces & soy sauce can be salty enough, so I store some unsalted.

These are the ones,

Tesco Cashew Nuts 200G €2.39 (€11.95/kg)
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266376222
    they are in a resealable bag too, I cook the lot and put back in when cool.

Advertisement