Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super League and all things European Rugby League

• 31-01-2019 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Time for a new thread with the return of Super League on Thursday evening. St Helens take on reigning champions Wigan Warriors with coverage of the game from 7.30pm on Sky Sports Arena.

What's everyone looking forward to this year? And who do you think will win the competition?

I'm keen to see what kind of impact Konrad Hurrell can have in England. I'll go for Warrington to win the comp (has to happen at some stage!).

(Last years thread: HERE) and thanks Mr. Nice Guy!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Late on parade, apologies! Works been a dog. Meant to start this thread last week.

Good win for Saints, Coote looks like he's a brilliant signing for them, they look a good bet, and I agree, the Wolves might finally get the job done.

Sadly the "haves" and the "have nots" are going to be even more in evidence this season I fear.

Broncos need a good start, or the season could be a glorious disaster. Watching them play again is what I'm most looking forward too (until the reality hits). A real shame Sky don't bother with the Championship because I think this year is going to be a doozy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

I didn't think Saints were anything special last night to be honest. Can't call tonights one. Who partners Sneyd in the halves for Hull, Litten ?

I didn't think Saints were anything special last night to be honest. Can't call tonights one. Who partners Sneyd in the halves for Hull, Litten ?

Any win over Wigan is a good win imo!

Hull derby tonight, looks pretty nippy up there. Normally a lively affair so hoping for a good game.

Not a fan of Sky, or lack of effort with some of their output, but they've got the pre match set up pretty well sorted now. Lot less flannel with Brian Carney presenting.

Couple of other games tonight

Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils

Castleford Tigers v Catalans Dragons.

Predict 2 home wins in them.

Think poor old Danny Maguire has gone on a season too long.

• Advertisement

What. A. Finish.

What. A. Finish.

Good game, two decent adverts for the sport at start of season. Liking the new changes so far.

Good game, two decent adverts for the sport at start of season. Liking the new changes so far.

Warrington v Leeds should be another good game today hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Managed to catch the highlights of the Hull derby and the finish was great. Loved the mascot's celebration too.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Warrington look good. Scored with a man in the bin, and have continued to score this half. 20 nil after 32 mins.

• Advertisement

Good win for Warrington, 2nd half was a bit flat unsurprisingly.

London Broncos kicked off their season with a win over Wakefield Trinity. 42 - 24 as well which was completely unexpected, and they trailed 12 nil. I didn't see anyone tip London today so its a brilliant start to the campaign. Absolutely delighted! :)

Here's the (very brief) highlights:

[url] https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/11627314/london-broncos-42-24-wakefield[/url]

Another bad day at the office for Hull, well beaten by Castleford. Not sure how long the Hull coach has left after their poor form at the end of last season, and carrying on into this. Castleford are a tough side these days though, and the derby could easily have gone their way. So maybe he has a few games to turn it around.

Another bad day at the office for Hull, well beaten by Castleford. Not sure how long the Hull coach has left after their poor form at the end of last season, and carrying on into this. Castleford are a tough side these days though, and the derby could easily have gone their way. So maybe he has a few games to turn it around.

He was 5/1 to be first to leave his post at start of season, why didnt I do it

Wigan v Leeds tonight, another good game in prospect (hopefully).

Rhino's defence non existent for about three quarters of the game, not much went their way with the officials (but then teams who play Wigan should probably expect that) (joke!) but the Pie eaters thoroughly deserved the win.

Rhino's defence non existent for about three quarters of the game, not much went their way with the officials (but then teams who play Wigan should probably expect that) (joke!) but the Pie eaters thoroughly deserved the win.

If the wrong decisions don't go against them, it changes the complexion of the game and those second half errors don't happen as you're not chasing the game and trying more elaborate offloads and passes. Still, positive signs. Need to beat Salford next up now and get off the mark.

Comfortable win for Catalans and Warrington.

Tight first half between Salford and London, but the Broncos are going to be soundly beaten in the end. Nilled.

Saints have sneaked a win over Wakefield a couple of minutes from time, sounds like it was a great game.

Much like last week, Broncos kept it tight first half away, and actually led at half time over Hull KR, but comfortably beaten in the end.

• Advertisement

The Roosters have named a strong side for the World Club Challenge final with Wigan. (7pm kick-off).

https://twitter.com/SLClubs/status/1097198317052792832

The NRL side are the strong favourites according to the bookies:

Wigan Warriors 3/1
    Draw 25/1
    Sydney Roosters 2/9

Looking forward to it.

I'd like them both to lose :pac:. Suppose I want the underdogs to win, if they can keep it close with 20 minutes to go, you'd hope fitness might help them out.

Good start for the Roosters. Brett Morris with an early try.

Good start for the Roosters. Brett Morris with an early try.

Could be a very long night for the pie eaters.

Roosters look a mile offside every defensive set.

How did he get that down? :pac:

Woeful defense.

More like it from Wigan.

Important try for Wigan. Good bit of needle out there between the teams.

• Advertisement

And Morris gets his hat-trick after a little over half an hour.

Advertisement