Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who dont like sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Not a massive fan, but don't mind watching any sort as long as I'm not required to keep up with the people who are in it. Don't care whether bod hurt his toe or if some random club got into some random makey-uppy league or not, or what any of the players had for breakfast...also, the worst in any sports on Tele is the commentary, the half time analysis, and the post play ramblings. Pointless...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't like sports, in general. Haven't since I was a child.

This thread is showing why.

I applaud the actions of the local mod, but the fact remains the mentality of some fans of sports appears to be neanderthal in nature. It will remain an excluding factor as long as people saw posts like the above and didn't think "it's 2014, where do people get off thinking sexuality is an insult". I've seen this kind of rubbish since I was a small child and it put me off sport then to the point where I can only see it objectively (more on this later).

Of course, most people think this is because certain sports promote tribalism, which isn't of itself a bad thing and can certainly be fun. But the thread is about why some people don't like sports- imagine you were gay and just read that.

I play competitive video games and I can say exactly the same thing about that. It's funny, I actually think it is a human need for that kind of feeling of belonging and excitement and we find it where we can naturally.

As above, I get it all the time. Go to 26:45 in this video.

And we organise and do things ourselves and I've met the best in the world at my pass time. I'll walk for health and do this for fun :)

Well, I hope this post has explained why. When you've spent your life being called inferior or for some reason gay (like that is an insult) for not liking sport, you're going to strike back. Human nature. How many people thought the video I posted above was stupid or silly or not getting the point? You're part of the problem too. And that's where the "roundball" thing comes from, its a frustrated attempt at making people think straight in general. Your sport is not special. You're not special. Or... all of us are, really.

Personally, I just don't care about most sports. I don't think anyone should have to care about anyone elses passtime.

You're attacking sports for things that happen in video games (including competitive video games just as much. Look at what the Penny Arcade guys have been saying over the past year. Look at all the controversies over the treatment of women in the fighting game community and at events.

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MrCreosote wrote: »
    For something to be classified as a sport, the exertion has to come directly from the person's muscle.

So motor-"sports", horse racing, showjumping etc are powered by petrol or animals, so they are games or pastimes rather than sports.
    Nope, they steer them. They don't power them though.

Horse carrying person- not a sport. Person carrying horse- sport. See the difference.

No point giving out to me about it- I don't make the rules about what's accepted as a sport or not.

I think you'll find that you did make that rule. Using your definition, chess is more of a sport than horseracing. Surfing isnt a sport either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

*ahem* Professional darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

I don't like watching sports match. Don't understand people sitting there watching sports with a beer in hand and carrying a big belly. No offence, i could be very wrong, but in my opinion, maybe they should spend that time to excise themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Cienciano wrote: »
    Using your definition, chess is more of a sport than horseracing. Surfing isnt a sport either

Chess is indeed more of a sport than horseracing.

Competitive surfing is a sport- the points are scored for the ride, not for the wave. It's all about what the surfer does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

With darts it's the athletes drinking beer with a big belly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I actually think it is a human need for that kind of feeling of belonging and excitement and we find it where we can naturally.

I think this is a very good point, not so much for people that like sport casually but people that form a passionate social attachment to any community including sport.

I do think though that you're falling into the group you criticize by making generalizations about Neanderthals and getting so defensive about what looked like trolling comments.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lyaiera wrote: »
    You're attacking sports for things that happen in video games (including competitive video games just as much. Look at what the Penny Arcade guys have been saying over the past year. Look at all the controversies over the treatment of women in the fighting game community and at events.

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

Yes, we all know about that one event that every single prominent member of the FGC came out against in disgust two years ago but is continually thrown in our faces.
    In this thread there alone there was 2 cases of casual bigotry related to sport that, unless a mod deleted them, not one person before me even thought to comment on.

Anyway, I think you're missing my point. Competitive gaming is no different from sport in that respect. It's the same. I find the same buzz from it. It does have the same problems, I just don't think gaming is better or more important than sport, whereas I hear the opposite from sportsy obsessed people all the time. I was explaining where the defensive attitude comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

srsly78 wrote: »
    *ahem* Professional darts.

Looking forward to the BDO worlds starting on BBC today.

• Advertisement

Chess is indeed more of a sport than horseracing.

Competitive surfing is a sport- the points are scored for the ride, not for the wave. It's all about what the surfer does.

He doesn't power it, he just changes direction. Skiing isn't a sport in your book either, that's just gravity.
    Your definition makes no sense, there's too many sports out there to have a simple rule to say whats a sport and what's a game/passtime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭eirebread

This thread has no worth to it in my opinion.

Some people just don't like sport, their loss.
    Why bother discuss this?...

Xidu wrote: »
    I don't like watching sports match. Don't understand people sitting there watching sports with a beer in hand and carrying a big belly. No offence, i could be very wrong, but in my opinion, maybe they should spend that time to excise themselves.

Do you have to be involved in film making or acting to justify going to the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I'm totally indifferent to most sport. I just can't get into it, I've even tried following rugby or gaa for a while because I felt I was missing out. The commentary, analysis, TV and radio discussion etc is just utterly inane and pointless especially with soccer. My god how people can talk at such great length about fúck all I'll never know.
    I do enjoy watching some of the cycling coverage, because I took it up myself a couple of years ago and have some appreciation of it because of that.
    What bugs me and has caused rows before is certain members of the family who at the weekend will be rushing through dinner or in a hurry to get home from somewhere so they can sit in front of the telly and watch poxy soccer. It is more important to them than time spent with family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

He doesn't power it, he just changes direction. Skiing isn't a sport in your book either, that's just gravity.
    Your definition makes no sense, there's too many sports out there to have a simple rule to say whats a sport and what's a game/passtime.

He still has to power the direction changes himself, same as in downhill skiing. As opposed to so-called motorsports.

It's a simple rule- so-called motorsports and animal events are not sports, darts/chess/cards etc are. Gun sports are the only tricky ones- sports in my book (and the OEDs!), but lots of people might disagree.

Yes, we all know about that one event that every single prominent member of the FGC came out against in disgust two years ago but is continually thrown in our faces.

The fact you think it's a single event shows how bad the gaming community is. I've never once heard someone in sports say, "we raped them" in reference to a competitor. Try paying attention to how women, gay people, trans people and anyone who isn't white is treated in the gaming scene. Pay attention to games and see how unrepresentative they. Gone Home winning Game of the Year awards left right and centre and the amount of gamers spewing bile and hate about it is deplorable, all because it happened to represent something outside their small little world.
    In this thread there alone there was 2 cases of casual bigotry related to sport that, unless a mod deleted them, not one person before me even thought to comment on.
    You're not supposed to comment on stuff like that, you're supposed to report it.
    Anyway, I think you're missing my point. Competitive gaming is no different from sport in that respect. It's the same. I find the same buzz from it. It does have the same problems, I just don't think gaming is better or more important than sport, whereas I hear the opposite from sportsy obsessed people all the time. I was explaining where the defensive attitude comes from.
    It's not a defensive attitude, it's a downright hostile attitude. I've stopped going to gaming conventions because of how inhospitable they are, including to people who dare to not conform to the gaming stereotype about sports. I was at a convention in Belfast and was berated by someone for asking for a rugby match to be put on on an unused TV in a bar the convention was using.

And the sport versus gaming thing is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of gamers. Gamers were treated badly so they get their jollies from treating other people badly.

Some people love sport, some people dont. Some people love opera, some don't. Some people love ballet, some people love ricky gervais, some people love eating meat, some people love travelling, some people love kids, some people love justin bieber.
    People like different things. It's not rocket science.
    Xidu wrote: »

Watching a sport, especially at it's highest level is entertaining for most sports fans. Watching a big match in the pub with a beer with a few mates is great fun.

anncoates wrote: »
    I think this is a very good point, not so much for people that like sport casually but people that form a passionate social attachment to any community including sport.

I do think though that you're falling into the group you criticize by making generalizations about Neanderthals and getting so defensive about what looked like trolling comments.

Both the posters in question were long term posters with post counts in the thousands. On the surface, they do not appear to be trolls. To me, personally, they thought there was nothing wrong in what they said.

Now I assume people reported the post but I read the whole thread and not one person thought to say "maybe you shouldn't be calling people who don't like sports gay? That's bad on multiple levels."

As someone pointed out it happens in other passtimes too, including mine and it's something we need to stop.

Just to clarify- I don't think sports fans are neanderthals- I do think the tribal nature of them does attract individuals who are damaging to the whole and can't see the forests for the trees, and I was trying to explain that the defensive nature of non sports types comes from a lifetime of dealing with aggressive nature. I'm not saying it is right, but perhaps it is understandable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

uch wrote: »
    Katie Taylor, enough to make anyone watch sport, stunning when she keeps her mouth closed

Could think of a lot better examples then Katie to be honest

The fact you think it's a single event shows how bad the gaming community is. I've never once heard someone in sports say, "we raped them" in reference to a competitor. Try paying attention to how women, gay people, trans people and anyone who isn't white is treated in the gaming scene. Pay attention to games and see how unrepresentative they. Gone Home winning Game of the Year awards left right and centre and the amount of gamers spewing bile and hate about it is deplorable, all because it happened to represent something outside their small little world.

I'm not going to sit here and defend gamers, especially what we call "stream monsters". They're our version of what I was discussing and yes, we need to find a way to deal with them.

If you like I could link you several examples of where I personally call out aggressive or bigoted comments on the Irish Fighting Game Youtube channel. We don't just sit there and take it.

Oh and some of us lose respect instantly for people who use "rape" in that sense. There's plenty of other terms like "beasted" or anything.

That said, I have lost in international tournaments to both female and transgendered people. In return, I would say pay attention to the make up of the actual FGC internationally, and you will see a mix you don't see in many others.

You're not supposed to comment on stuff like that, you're supposed to report it.

"It's not a defensive attitude, it's a downright hostile attitude. I've stopped going to gaming conventions because of how inhospitable they are, including to people who dare to not conform to the gaming stereotype about sports. I was at a convention in Belfast and was berated by someone for asking for a rugby match to be put on on an unused TV in a bar the convention was using.

And the sport versus gaming thing is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of gamers. Gamers were treated badly so they get their jollies from treating other people badly.

So you went to Q-Con- a celebration of gaming and anime- and asked them to show you something that wasn't gaming or anime?

Can I suggest going to a pub and asking them to throw on an episode of attack on titan and see how anyone there would react to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 12barblues

He doesn't power it, he just changes direction.

yes he does, read up on it...

So you went to Q-Con- a celebration of gaming and anime- and asked them to show you something that wasn't gaming or anime?

Can I suggest going to a pub and asking them to throw on an episode of attack on titan and see how anyone there would react to it?

When I was there the SU bar in Queens wasn't exclusively for con attendees.

And again you're showing the hypocrisy of gamers. They might get treated badly for asking for anime in a pub (and I've never heard of a pub playing DVDs in my life) so it's ok to berate me for asking for a rugby match on TVs that weren't being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It depends on the individual I think! I love watching gymnastics! Particularly men's. The amount of sheer strength they must have to do even a low graded move is unreal.

Football on the other hand.. SNORE.
    The game itself bores me to death, what makes it worse is the amount of money theyre paid, and the asshole attitude most of them have to go with it. Completely alienating sport to me. Anytime it happens to be on and I catch another glimpse of some mammys boy throwing himself on the ground in faux pain to try and get one over on the other team my blood boils. Theyre paid extortionate for this crap and doctors/nurses are pulling 12hr shifts saving lives for alot less.

Also 12men kicking a ball around a field? I could look out my front window any day of the week and see a bunch of teens doing the same thing!

The wages are easily explained. Football is watched by billions over the world. This kf course brings in huge revenue of money because so many pay to watch it through various means.

And who are the most important people who provide this entertainment? The players.

Its a bit like complaining that Tom Cruise and Will Smith get paid too much despite them being the biggest reason for bringing in the money

When I was there the SU bar in Queens wasn't exclusively for con attendees.

And again you're showing the hypocrisy of gamers. They might get treated badly for asking for anime in a pub (and I've never heard of a pub playing DVDs in my life) so it's ok to berate me for asking for a rugby match on TVs that weren't being used.

No, you're not reading what I'm saying.

I don't think it's ok at all. I think everyone should be working on it and challenging it where they find it.

Otherwise I wouldn't have posted here at all and I would have just sat with smug satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

But on a positive note, no one thanked those posts until they had been moderated. So the casual bigots are in the extreme minority.

My opinion, I love sport. Have played camogie and soccer all my life, until my knee fecked up again. Going to play next year in goal so can't wait for that! Watching sports on the tv depends on the game. I would prefer to watch something else unless its a pivotal game. Rugby and Gaa are more exciting than soccer to watch, possibly because there are so many soccer games to watch that you wouldn't leave the house if you tried to watch them all. I don't quite understand the person who is lazy and plump, yet obsessed with sports. Get out and move!

I also love to read good, intelligent books but enjoy no thinking, chick lit too. Music is not a passion, but I enjoy listening to it.

People are different. I love people and their differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

I know the performance and stamina they need. I have experienced the same thing driving from Tralee to Dublin, even though the g forces at 120k are a little less than on the Nurburgring. Here's the thing though- just because it takes some energy to do, or makes you tired does not make it a sport. And fanboys calling it motor"sport" trying to get some kudos for it do not make it a sport either. Why not? Because the car is being propelled by a f*ck off big engine!

I'm not saying it's not interesting or exciting- that's up to an individual to decide. All I'm saying is that it is not a sport.

That's not really a convincing argument that shows how F1, IndyCar, Rallying is not a sport. By saying "oh hey, I get tired doing the exact same thing driving along the motorway in my car the same as those guys so it isn't a sport". The same can be said of football which is by your definition a sport. "oh hey, I get tired doing the exact same thing kicking a ball around the park the same as those guys so it isn't a sport".

The problem you have with the car being propelled by an engine is almost trivial though. Besides the intense stamina required to drive the cars at those speeds you also need countless hours of experience in order to drive at any level. The skill that is required to read the course, know when and how to overtake etc. only comes after years of practice. Perhaps focus less on the fact that it is motorsport and more on the fact that it is a form of racing. 20 or so people in machines pitted against eachother to see who can make it around a course first which is the same goal as Olympic racing events and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm not into mainstream sport, but I'm obsessed with women's gymnastics. There's a reason why it's up there with athletics as the most watched Olympic sport, it's mind-blowing all the time.

I I'm obsessed with women's gymnastics. There's a reason why it's up there with athletics as the most watched Olympic sport,.

Maybe there are also reasons for it that are less rooted in Corinthian spirit. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

anyone got that Frankie Boyle quote about sport ?

• Advertisement

Not Boyle but a nice quote...

"I feel that those who aren't fans of football, or some other sport, are genuinely missing out on a whole dimension of life's spectacle – the cathartic, masochistic, joyful experience of getting involved in and keyed up about something that really doesn't matter at all, yet churns you up and makes you scream and shout the way the truly important things in life fail to."

Advertisement