Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huge waste of money by University

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    "uni"... Sounds like the way you'd refer to the university of East Anglia (which was a polytech until some egalitarian decided to tack "university" onto the front of the building in the biggest metal letters they could find - a bit like UL really).

What building would that be as a matter of interest?
    JonJoeDali wrote: »
    And what do you mean by this "hell of a lot more than train monkeys for the area"?

You don't have a clue about UL if you think all they do is pump out graduates to go up the road and work for Dell which seems to be what you are implying.

c_man wrote: »
    Do they do naked sean os dancing nowadays?

No idea. But I plan on finding out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ugh. Just ugh.

I didn't think people were actually swallowing FF's 'smart economy' tripe.

Yeah, let's scrap any course which doesn't directly lead to work in a lab or a bank. Actually, let's replace our our brain cells with calculators and microchips while we're at it.

Sure what has music ever done for us as a country? The Fureys, The Dubliners, The Pogues, Rory Gallagher et al. - utter waste of space. Not forgetting the catastrophe of Riverdance and its spin-off shows, what a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

bigpink wrote: »
    So please tell what this chanting course does for this country?Are you making a living from music?Isnt artists very low tax?

Off the top of my head it brings in foreign students and their money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

mojesius wrote: »
    Ugh. Just ugh.

Yeah, let's scrap any course which doesn't directly lead to work in a lab or a bank. Actually, let's replace our our brain cells with calculators and microchips while we're at it.

Sure what has music ever done for us as a country? The Fureys, The Dubliners, The Pogues, Rory Gallagher et al. - utter waste of space. Not forgetting the catastrophe of Riverdance and its spin-off shows, what a disaster.

Deffo not a waste of space.but should taxpayers be paying for chanting?
    I doubt any of them musicans got chanting courses paid for them

• Advertisement

Not forgetting the catastrophe of Riverdance and its spin-off shows, what a disaster.

Good point, doubly so as Jean Butler was (possibly still is) heavily involved in that centre in UL too.

So taxpayers should be paying for chanting courses over much needed other services?

If all the defenders here went down to a dole queue and asked them their opinion of a chanting course what reaction do ye think ye would get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I did 2 years of business and being honest excpet 2 subjects but wassnt great thats why i left and to work also

I like how this chanting course, which is a master course and therefore the attendees have to pay for it, is more of a waste then you doing 2 years and then dropping out, all funded by the taxpayer no doubt.

This truly is a pathetic thread.

prinz wrote: »
    Good point, doubly so as Jean Butler was (possibly still is) heavily involved in that centre in UL too.

So taxpayers should be paying for people to play music and dance?I f i want to do a hobby like that i would have to play for classes

reprazant wrote: »
    I like how this chanting course, which is a master course and therefore the attendees have to pay for it, is more of a waste then you doing 2 years and then dropping out, all funded by the taxpayer no doubt.

This truly is a pathetic thread.

I left after cert which is 2 years to go working.
    Ive paid tax since 16
    My parents have paid tax all there lives

If zero taxpayers money is spent on this school ive no problem with it

Sorry forgot all the good the chanters are doing

Millicent tell me what you wanted to say

• Advertisement

I left after cert,ive paid tax since 16
    my parents have paid tax all there lives

I'd never have been able to tell.

Ah sure lets close the universities altogether. all these graduates re going to do is emigrate anyway, right?

really, this thread is nine pages of stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I left after cert,ive paid tax since 16
    my parents have paid tax all there lives

If zero taxpayers money is spent on this school ive no problem with it

well luckily for the country you having a problem with it means sweet **** all

its a masters course so students pay

that university receives massive amounts of philanthropy es[ecially for their projects like that music center so there may not be any tax payers money being spent

art and culture are invaluable to society

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Millicent wrote: »
    What do you reckon, that everyone who goes to go college needs to be an accountant/engineer/IT consultant (no disrespect to any of the above)? .

If education is going to be free then yes, the courses should be on a supply demand function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Meh... CIT had a president that dropped 25K on a painting of himself. That money is gone forever, at least whoever gets the job will have to teach and will have some inherent value!

If education is going to be free then yes, the courses should be on a supply demand function.

It is the profits from the postgrad courses which help pay for the likes of the business school.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    well luckily for the country you having a problem with it means sweet **** all

its a masters course so students pay

that university receives massive amounts of philanthropy es[ecially for their projects like that music center so there may not be any tax payers money being spent

art and culture are invaluable to society

Dont curse at me i think i will have to report it
    If theres no taxpayers money spent on this i have no problem with people having an interest in chanting

It is the profits from the postgrad courses which help pay for the likes of the business school.

That good to know.Im happy at that as long as no taxpyers money is used

You think thats a fair opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

So taxpayers should be paying for chanting courses over much needed other services?

If all the defenders here went down to a dole queue and asked them their opinion of a chanting course what reaction do ye think ye would get?

Depends who you ask. If I asked a close-minded eegit type I would expect "blah blah blah waste of money.. taking our jobs yadda yadda yadda"

If I asked a rational easy going person they would probably say "each to their own, it's not affecting me.... why do you care?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

jesus OP there's tax money being spent on less worthwhile s'hite than this. it is essentially a music course and therefore has a value to society anyway, dispute that simple fact and you're just kidding yourself - and you've already wasted enough energy on this...

• Advertisement

That good to know.Im happy at that as long as no taxpyers money is used. You think thats a fair opinion?

It's an opinion, that's about all that can be said for it. Any taxpayers money that is used to generate a profit has been well used IMO.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Depends who you ask. If I asked a close-minded eegit type I would expect "blah blah blah waste of money.. taking our jobs yadda yadda yadda"

If I asked a rational easy going person they would probably say "each to their own, it's not affecting me.... why do you care?"

I agree but can you honestly say taxpayers should be paying for it over much needed services in other areas

There seems to be a snobbish superior attiude by people who defend the Arts tooth and nail than have feelings for normal people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm on the dole and to be honest I don't give a fcuk bout this. Why should I? If I had a job and my tax went to pay for this job, I still wouldn't give a fcuk. Seriously, is this is all you have to be worrying about?

Also music is not a "niche" area in this country. A lot more people make a living from music (of all types) than you think and a good percentage of them would have studied it at third level to get their jobs. Obviously it's been determined that there is a demand for this course, therefore it is not a waste just because you don't know what it's about. What is a waste is sending you on a business course only for you to drop out half way.

In any case, it was established earlier in the thread that this course will paid for through fees so you can save your taxes for something you think is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ugh. Just ugh.

The Pogues went to UL? well fcuk me you learn something new every day.

jesus OP there's tax money being spent on less worthwhile s'hite than this. it is essentially a music course and therefore has a value to society anyway, dispute that simple fact and you're just kidding yourself - and you've already wasted enough energy on this...

Ok what is the value of a chanting course?

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm on the dole and to be honest I don't give a fcuk bout this. Why should I? If I had a job and my tax went to pay for this job, I still wouldn't give a fcuk. Seriously, is this is all you have to be worrying about?

Also music is not a "niche" area in this country. A lot more people make a living from music (of all types) than you think and a good percentage of them would have studied it at third level to get their jobs. Obviously it's been determined that there is a demand for this course, therefore it is not a waste just because you don't know what it's about. What is a waste is sending you on a business course only for you to drop out half way.

In any case, it was established earlier in the thread that this course will paid for through fees so you can save your taxes for something you think is useful.

If not one penny of taxpayers money is used in this chanting course and the school its taught in i say chant on:)

I did 2 years and passed going on was an option thats not dropping out

That good to know.Im happy at that as long as no taxpyers money is used

You think thats a fair opinion?

I think paying for an undergrad only for them to drop out half way through their course is a bigger waste of money to be honest.

Millicent wrote: »
    Excuse me, me and my bloody English/music degree would beg to differ. What do you reckon, that everyone who goes to go college needs to be an accountant/engineer/IT consultant (no disrespect to any of the above)? Are you just cribbing become someone is monopolising on a niche? Why shouldn't they?

ETA: Just double-checked and it's Gregorian chant. It's not exactly an obscure tradition OP. It's hundreds of years old and a fairly important part of music history and early theory.

Whats your course?
    If your going to be a teacher i must say id give great respect,its a vocation

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Well i hope so,cause i dont want to be paying for it
    No problem with it is thats the way its run

i think theology is a waste of time, should that also be axed.... oh and irish... oh and investment banking...clearly that does nothing for our country.... seriously your opinion just sounds ridiculous

• Advertisement

There seems to be a snobbish superior attiude by people who defend the Arts tooth and nail than have feelings for normal people

What I see is a 'reverse snobbery' along with an unhealthy side portion of shoulder chips.

Advertisement