Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downsizing?

• 28-04-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

I would have a think about downsizing while at the diesel pumps, last fill cost 88.34. Trouble is that nothing else appeals right now and I still find my car very comfortable.

My car - Kia Sorento 2.5 turbo GSE Model.

Anyone else thinking about it?

Cheerio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

My daily driver cost me €76.80 to fill yesterday, and it's only a 1.8 Volvo estate.

I'm taking the V8 range rover classic out for a refill tonight - I'm expecting that to come in at around the €100 mark....and I ain't planning on downsizing, yet! That'll get me about 260 miles or thereabouts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

A classic range rover doing 260 miles, now theres optimism. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

But seriously, I "downsized" from a 2.5 Mitsubishi pajero sport to a 2.7 Nissan terrano. Exactly twice as economical, much quicker, better turning radius (mitsubishy had a turning ORBIT) and much more comfortable, but theres a reason they dont make the terrano any more, its loud and unrefined and its to damn low!!! bloody thing keeps bottoming out on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I'm glad that this forum got the go ahead!

I'm downsizing too, I currently drive a 97 Pajero 2.8 SWB Commercial and have had it for the last 4 years. I bought it when I was 18 as the insurance was reasonable at the time - €2250 fully comp. But I'm planning to buy a 2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 170 SLine in August/September.

The main reasons that I'm switching to a car is that insurance for the Audi will be cheaper than the Pajero, the servicing costs on the Pajero are very steep and it does about 24mpg, so I'm spending about €40 a week on diesel and I'm only in college!:eek:

I think that I'll keep the Pajero as a recreational off roader when I get the Audi though!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i want to upsize at the moment

i have a crewcab hilux and i want either a 1993-1996 toyota amazon or failing that an isuzu trooper 3.1td passenger

so if you see any give me a shout
    tvm

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

hshortt wrote: »
    I would have a think about downsizing while at the diesel pumps, last fill cost 88.34. Trouble is that nothing else appeals right now and I still find my car very comfortable.

My car - Kia Sorento 2.5 turbo GSE Model.

Anyone else thinking about it?

What would you downsize to?

Look at the mpg you get in the Sorento. You'd be hard pushed to get the same in any other 4 x 4. I've the auto version and it's a bit heavier on diesel but I wouldn't change it. Mind you have a €900 tax bill at home thats due:mad:
    Just got it it's first NCT and the man said it is in "Tip Top" condition - his words:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Thanks for that Pullandbang, I'm not sure what I'd change too as I can dismiss most of those that might initially tickly my fancy, the thing is that I'm very fond of the Serento. Mine is automatic too, (wouldn't go back to manual now!) and it will be due an NCT in October. So I kinda have until then to make up my mind.

Was there any other comments during the NCT? I've never put a car through that process so I'm a total newbie.

I doubt I'd follow through on the downsizing, I'd happily change for a toureg though :)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

oflynno wrote: »
    i want to upsize at the moment

i have a crewcab hilux and i want either a 1993-1996 toyota amazon or failing that an isuzu trooper 3.1td passenger

so if you see any give me a shout
    tvm

The 80 series amazons are getting to be good value now. Last time I checked there was a good few for sale on the usual irish sites.
    But the trooper wouldn't really compare with the amazon. Much better to compare it to the patrol. They both have the SFA so would be much better for proper offroading.

What hilux crewcab do you have BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

1993 crewcab LN106 model with a 2.4na fitted at the moment diesel of course

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

hshortt wrote: »
    Thanks for that Pullandbang, I'm not sure what I'd change too as I can dismiss most of those that might initially tickly my fancy, the thing is that I'm very fond of the Serento. Mine is automatic too, (wouldn't go back to manual now!) and it will be due an NCT in October. So I kinda have until then to make up my mind.

Was there any other comments during the NCT? I've never put a car through that process so I'm a total newbie.

That was my fist time too and it was over in 15 minutes. Absolutely nothing wrong and I've got 82,000 miles up. I didn't read the report fully but for example - the limit on one item (wheel alignment I think) was 60% and mine was 0%. I did get it serviced a couple of weeks before the NCT and told the mechanic to check it out with the NCT in mind.

Give it a good cleaning underneath and check the obvious things like bulbs, tyre pressure, washer fluid etc.

Did you ever bring yours off road in auto?

• Advertisement
Advertisement