Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

• 23-04-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Great result following her victory in the US last weekend. Im surprised at how little attention it's getting.:confused::confused:
    Needlesstosay..nothing & I mean nothing..is up on that useless Golfnet site.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What tour is she on?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

She's not a pro -its the Official World Amateur rankings - she & her sister Lisa are in Duke University one of the top US Colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Great result following her victory in the US last weekend. Im surprised at how little attention it's getting.:confused::confused:
    Needlesstosay..nothing & I mean nothing..is up on that useless Golfnet site.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

'It' got attention ? :confused:

What did she win ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Good ole' Uncle Google brought this up...;);)

http://www.the42.ie/leona-maguire-duke-2056962-Apr2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great to see and a disgrace no mention of it mentioned in any of the papers here. The two of them are very low key despite all their wins and accomplishments.
    Out of interest what are they studying in Duke's? Also any idea what sort of swing speed they're pumping out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

It's scary to see what Lydia Ko is doing at 17 when you look at these girls achievements

Fair play to them getting educated before taking the leap into the pro game. They have good parents who wouldn't let them golf until all their school work was done and they both had outstanding leaving certs as far as I remember

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ForeRight wrote: »
    It's scary to see what Lydia Ko is doing at 17 when you look at these girls achievements

Fair play to them getting educated before taking the leap into the pro game. They have good parents who wouldn't let them golf until all their school work was done and they both had outstanding leaving certs as far as I remember

600 and 615 points...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great to see and a disgrace no mention of it mentioned in any of the papers here. The two of them are very low key despite all their wins and accomplishments.
    Out of interest what are they studying in Duke's? Also any idea what sort of swing speed they're pumping out?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/inside-irish-golf-sensation-leona-maguire-blazing-trail-at-duke-325025.html

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Now no.1 in the world.
    Time to change thread title.

• Advertisement

Great news, small island for two golfing world's number ones, L has the brains, the beauty and the talent, world at her feet, good luck to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Probably in the minority here... but I just don't understand why she is wasting her time in college. She is going to have a life playing golf. Turn pro and start your career. Look at what Lydia Ko is doing... having just turned 18. Do what Jordan Spieth did... quit college and start making your millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

HighLine wrote: »
    Probably in the minority here... but I just don't understand why she is wasting her time in college. She is going to have a life playing golf. Turn pro and start your career. Look at what Lydia Ko is doing... having just turned 18. Do what Jordan Spieth did... quit college and start making your millions.

Have to say totally agree and was thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Thread needs a name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

benny79 wrote: »
    Have to say totally agree and was thinking the same thing.

Lydia Ko was winning LPGA tournaments as a 16yr old amateur, Leona Maguire isn't in the same stratosphere as here in golf terms, get her education first, the odds are stacked heavily against her making it.

If she left college and failed as a pro this place would be slating her for not having something to fall back on.... cant win.

She's definitely doing things in the right order. Gets to play competitive golf while she's at it as well. Much more likely to be a successful pro doing it this way.

Education first, Rory and Spieth exceptions, sure it didn't do Paddy any harm or any of the other college golfers e.g. GMac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Let's see how she gets on at the NCAA Womens Medal Championship in FL...

http://www.ncaa.com/2015-di-womens-golf-championships-team-leaderboard

Finished day 1 at -1, currently 3rd, Lisa finished +17 OUCH!

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Lisa finished +17 OUCH!

My blesses!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

wud either of the maguires be eligable for the rio olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

wud either of the maguires be eligable for the rio olympics?

No.... because you have to be a pro..... the irony/silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Interview with Golf.com

Fair play to her, it's some achievement to get to number 1 in the world, and even more so considering it's her first year at university in the States and all of the changes and upheaval that come with that.

She's currently fourth in the NCAA championship with 5 holes left of the third round to play.

Great interview, appears very grounded

Eagle and two birdies in her first 7 holes and into joint lead, some shootin

2 back with 3 to play

Spare a thought for sister Lisa who finished second last on a score of +51

Finished T2, one shot back...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seems like an extremely intense event.

the 54 hole singles determines the top 8 colleges in the event who then go on to a further match play event as far as I know.

They were talking about it on golf channel last night saying that in theory the eventual winner of the whole event will play around 126 holes of golf

• Advertisement

She was awarded the Annika Sorenstam Award as National Player of the Year

CF5BDBLW0AAO3oE.jpg

Advertisement