Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

0818 calls to my phone... From alarm company

• 14-02-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

To be clear, I'm calling the company that installed my alarm later today but just wanted some extra info.

My Eir bill arrived today with six Euro with of calls that I didn't recognize. I called Eir and they told me it is my alarm company. There were 60 calls in total in the last two months.

I've had the alarm over a year and not a single call to my phone.

I should not too that I've never heard the phone ring once during this time and I work from home. We have someone at home 24/7

The panel is HKC, we have home monitoring and GSM from a wireless panel on the wall beside the door, linking to the main HKC box in another part of the house.

Any idea what these calls could be caused by? Or even why our phone doesn't ring?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

The system rings HKC every night/morning for a health check. It's a security function

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Your alarm dials into the monitoring center once a day for a test. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Doh! I get it now...

Brainfart moment there. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are 0818 numbers not free from some providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are 0818 numbers not free from some providers?

0818 are "semi-premium" numbers, it costs money to call the number, its not included in minutes package and costs vary from provider to provider.

More info here; http://www.saynoto1890.com/faq/

Quote from above website;

What is a 0818 number?
    A 0818 number is known as a National Call number. This type of phone number was devised to allow businesses charge an extra small premium above the regular cost of the call.
    Therefore, any companies that provide this type of phone number as a contact point are actually making money from their customers calling them.

• Advertisement

The alarm is ringing the monitoring company NOT HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Looks like HKC are having a nice little gouge at their customers...

Pity you finished off your post with that sentence, because it is down right wrong.
    KoolKid you should know better than to thank that post as well, but you can't help yourself having a pop at HKC.
    Shame you have to resort to statements you know that are wrong, or do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Ring your maintenance company and tell them to change the numbers to normal landline numbers. Happens all the time. Any monitoring station who uses them numbers have normal numbers. Some landlines have 0818 barred.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »
    KoolKid you should know better than to thank that post as well, but you can't help yourself having a pop at HKC.
    Shame you have to resort to statements you know that are wrong, or do you ?

I thanked the post because he answered my question. Nothing to do with anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote:
    I thanked the post because he answered my question. Nothing to do with anything else.

Technically you did not assist that poster though, which is very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Post #2 says its dialling HKC for a check, the OP hasn't contradicted that, meantime I've removed the swipe

Post #2 says its dialling HKC for a check, the OP hasn't contradicted that, meantime I've removed the swipe

Post #2 is wrong, I can assure you.

Advertisement