Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

• 25-01-2018 6:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-Route-Changes-to-Improve-Journey-Times-for-Customers-in-the-City-Centre/
    Dublin Bus, in conjunction with the National Transport Authority (NTA) and Dublin City Council (DCC), has announced that from Monday 29 January a number of route changes will be implemented in the College Green area to alleviate delays being experienced by customers travelling through the city centre.

As a result of this consultation, it has been agreed that some routes will be realigned to improve the journey time for our customers and facilitate a more effective movement of public transport services through the College Green area.

Routes 25, 25a, 25b, 25d, 37, 39, 39a and 70.
    Minor route changes will occur on the above routes. However, bus stops along these routes will not be affected.

Tara%20Street%20Map2.jpg

For full details on revised routing see here:
    http://dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Route-Change-on-Routes-25ab-37-39a-and-70/

Routes 25x, 27x, 32x, 33x, 39x, 41x, 51x, 66x, and 67x.
    The above Xpresso services will no longer operate through College Green.

Xpresso%20Route%20map%20web.jpg

For full details on revised routing and bus stop changes see here:
    http://dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Rerouting-of-Xpresso-Services-using-College-Street/

Dublin Bus welcomes the commitment by DCC to provide bus priority measures to facilitate these route changes. This commitment to additional bus priority is crucial for the effective operation of all public transport in our city and highlights the important role of the bus in tackling congestion in the city centre.

Dublin Bus will continue to work with the NTA and DCC to monitor the impact of these changes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The 25a has been taking that alternative route 90% of the time anyway for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So they bottled it and moved the buses rather than cars and taxis

I don't think it will make much of a difference either

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Be interesting to see what these new bus priority measures are, since there is not really any detail of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Bambi wrote: »

cars cannot go through college green busgate at peak times anyway

the issue is fairly and squarely the number of buses at rush hour trying to go over O'Connell bridge and through College green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Why wasn't the 145 included in that as it dosen't stop on Westmoreland St. or go up O'Connell Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stephen15 wrote:
    Why wasn't the 145 included in that as it dosen't stop on Westmoreland St. or go up O'Connell St.

It stops at 345 beside Pearse street Garda station. That is after Tara street turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're going to push more buses down Pearse street and Westland row? both of which is are already backed up at peak times as it is. There are 6 buses due at the westland row stop over the next 4 minutes

Are they just panicking and want to be seen to do something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The left turn from Tara St to Burgh Quay in the evening rush hour is going to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Bambi wrote: »

wasn't the original plan to move all buses but dublin bus changed their mind and that's how we got into this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

spockety wrote:
    The left turn from Tara St to Burgh Quay in the evening rush hour is going to be fun.

Sure most of those routes go that way as it is now. And have been doing so for a while.

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    It stops at 345 beside Pearse street Garda station. That is after Tara street turn.

But that could be moved. I use that bus fairly regularly and dosen't seem that busy a stop so not stopping there or stopping somewhere else wouldn't a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

The 27x (and maybe the others) is only changing its morning route. Evening route doesn't use College Green.

In the morning, all the expressos going down Townsend St and trying to get turned right into Lombard St will be interesting.

It might make College Green a bit less congested but I think it'll make the Expressos slower.

The NTA have released a similar statement, but also a couple more nuggets
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/news/college-green-bus-changes-announced/
    To alleviate these delays, the National Transport Authority has been working with Dublin Bus and Dublin City Council to explore measures which could facilitate a more effective movement of public transport services through the College Green area. This is in advance of the determination by An Bord Pleanála on the proposals for the College Green Plaza project.
    The combined impact of these changes will enable the traffic signalling system and junctions in the College Green area to operate more effectively.

The National Transport Authority will continue to work with Dublin Bus and Dublin City Council to monitor the impact of these adjustments. Should a further reduction of vehicles travelling through this area become necessary, a number of other measures will be considered for implementation. Those additional measures would include some further bus route changes in addition to potential taxi restrictions. However, these will only be considered in the event that further vehicle reductions are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I'd say we will see the further measure early next month. I can't see these very limited changes alleviating the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pity DB are still allowed claim the changes, it really should read: NTA, in conjunction with the DB and Dublin City Council (DCC)

Any mindset that DB are still running the show needs to be removed from public documentation at this stage

Pity DB are still allowed claim the changes, it really should read: NTA, in conjunction with the DB and Dublin City Council (DCC)

That's just how Dublin Bus has wrote it, the NTA said in their original statement like you said it should read whereas no doubt Dublin City Council will say it is them working in partnership with other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good to see Tara Street being used. Although it was an unofficial cut through often enough when CG was choked. It is a no brainer and I mentioned this route before in an ancient post!

Surely there is no real need for any bus to go left at the bottom of Dawson Street anymore? Should go right and follow the route for the 25a etc. with a new right turn allowed on OCS. Oh dear that might be a problem!, but could help with proper traffic light sequencing.

I am not sure how it will work on the North/South axis. Same for the 25a and other routes. Does anyone know? Seems to apply only to South/North.

It appears to me that many are affected on the North/South run via Bachelor's Walk to Nassau Street and beyond via CGreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So bus passengers are going to be sent all over the world with unknown impacts on their journey time, while taxis can continue to transport one or two passengers along their existing routes.

Well done everyone.

spockety wrote: »
    Yep - some of the buses mentioned go that way, but it's already mostly gridlocked. Now there's going to be lots more buses going that way, and that left turn is already a bit of a disaster - all it takes is one badly placed car or taxi to block it.

I can see a mile long queue of buses down Pearse Street on day 1. No doubt some planner will express surprise at how this could have happened.

hmmm wrote: »
    So bus passengers are going to be sent all over the world with unknown impacts on their journey time, while taxis can continue to transport one or two passengers along their existing routes.

Well done everyone.

While I don't necessarily support taxis using College Green these changes are happening due to the introduction of the Luas because only so many buses can use College at a time. The main issue here is buses obstructing one another ie a traffic due to buses now I would support a ban on taxis but we have to curb the numbers of buses on College Green in order for buses and the Luas to all work simultaneously.

Also bus passengers aren't being discomodded due these changes as no stops are being omitted journey time will likely be the very the very same if not then they were before now.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    but we have to curb the numbers of buses on College Green in order for buses and the Luas to all work simultaneously.
    They could have started by banning taxis.
    Also bus passengers aren't being discomodded due these changes as no stops are being omitted journey time will likely be the very the very same if not then they were before now.
    You don't know that - lots more buses will now be sent down Tara street and a tight left turn onto Burgh quay with no idea what the impact will be on journey times. Meanwhile taxis can continue to use College Green unimpeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

Be under no doubt that when the draconian restrictions come in this will be used as an excuse "well we tried this and it didnt work "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would a double bus lane on Burgh Quay help the dreaded tight left turn from Tara Street? Might be required since some provincial bus services stop there anyway at the moment.

I am presuming there will be a bus lane on TS anyway.

Would a double bus lane on Burgh Quay help the dreaded tight left turn from Tara Street? Might be required since some provincial bus services stop there anyway at the moment.
    It needs a double bus lane or wide turning circle, and some sort of physical barrier to stop idiots in cars/taxis blocking the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

When the buses go down Tara street to avoid Westmoreland St they go over the bridge, turn left and then come back over the Rosie Hackett bridge to return to the south quays.

They're hardly going to try turn left at the bottom of Tara Street are they? If that's the case then it looks like my commute home is about to become as bad as my commute to work or worse!

hmmm wrote: »
    They could have started by banning taxis.

You don't know that - lots more buses will now be sent down Tara street and a tight left turn onto Burgh quay with no idea what the impact will be on journey times. Meanwhile taxis can continue to use College Green unimpeded.

But the problem is buses obstruct other buses because of their large size making it difficult for buses to manoeuvre around each other taxis are only small meaning buses can easily manoeuvre around them. I'm not disagreeing with you taxi do cause problems in the city centre and imped on buses but buses also cause issues.

If you are going to suggest curbing taxis on College Green I would agree with you and support it but buses also have to be curbed also. If the Luas is going to be a success and the city is going to become a more pedestrian and public transport user friendly place then the sheer amount of buses all choked up at the one location is going to have to be reduced.

I'm not throwing digs but a lot of people seem to think that DB buses should be given the universal right to drive down what ever street they want and that's the system that works best which is not the case as had been since long before the Luas CC was built. What we need are bus routes which the most logical and efficient which serve different location of the city centre rather than all meeting the one point like big bowl of spaghetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I am presuming there will be a bus lane on TS anyway.

DCC already showed they're too weak to actually do that, as it was proposed and abandoned by them before:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/change-of-plans-cars-will-not-be-banned-from-dublin-quay-1.3065820?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I walk over the Rosie Hackett bridge walking home (faster than the bus now) - cannot see how buses going down Tara St is going to help as the quays are jammers at 5.30 with everyone trying to squeeze through the junction (usually ending with cars blocking the buses/luas coming over the bridge, no one knows what a yellow box is apparently)
    All it's going to do is move some of the gridlock away but still end up with buses lined up trying to get out of the city
    Should be the taxis/cars made to go that way, on Pearce St there are far too many taxis blocking the way - coming home today one idiot decide to go thru the lights knowing he would be stuck on the luas tracks (yellow box again). Why isn't there a gard there fining all these cars ignoring the rules of the road - bet they would be quick to stop it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Good to see Tara Street being used. Although it was an unofficial cut through often enough when CG was choked. It is a no brainer and I mentioned this route before in an ancient post!

Streetview of Tara St from April 2017 even catches a 25a & 39a using this route!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

budgemook wrote: »
    When the buses go down Tara street to avoid Westmoreland St they go over the bridge, turn left and then come back over the Rosie Hackett bridge to return to the south quays.

They're hardly going to try turn left at the bottom of Tara Street are they? If that's the case then it looks like my commute home is about to become as bad as my commute to work or worse!

No, the 25a/b don't go over the bridge. They always just turn left from Tara Street on to the quays. They've been doing it for nearly a year already.

Advertisement