Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We have sunshine now and 19.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wet in Castlebar,nothing heavy ,just constant. 17 degrees. Light south westerly . Extensive low cloud down on the hills. Time for a pint....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Got this text off the city council:

Cork City Council is warning that there will be a period of high astronomical Spring tides this Friday 30th and Saturday 31st August 2019. There is a risk that some roads & parking areas along low-lying quays in the City Centre may suffer localised spot flooding during high tides; i.e. South Terrace, Morrison's Quay, Fr Matthew Quay, Trinity Bridge, Union Quay, Wandesford Quay, Frenche's Quay, Crosses Green, Kyrl's Quay. High tide times of note are as follows: Friday at 18:29 and Saturday at 06:51 and 19:14. Traffic restrictions may be in place at these locations, during these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Been dry and cloudy today in dublin but now the sun is out and it’s quite nice and warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well so much for the month of August...it might aswell have been October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry, breezy and cloudy here in meath

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Not a drop her in my part of east Wicklow yet. Love living in the shadows of the Wicklow mountains. Decent summer here 7 out of 10 for me. Don’t think I could ever live out west going by the reports I’ve read here over the summer.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still dry here at Dunshaughlin, but the rain is starting to move ever closer. Looks to be a very heavy pulse of rain heading for Galway, Mayo and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I got a chance to go to the beach today, i made a video. :pac::pac: Yeah that's not me. :pac::pac::pac:
    Anyhow our weather this summer hasn't been to bad in Dublin. Rain, sunshine and warm.
    Dry and warm now in swords. Expecting the rain at some stage.

Not a drop her in my part of east Wicklow yet. Love living in the shadows of the Wicklow mountains. Decent summer here 7 out of 10 for me. Don’t think I could ever live out west going by the reports I’ve read here over the summer.

I’d seriously consider moving West except for the weather. I love it and visit it regularly. Especially up around Mayo & Sligo . I also love Donegal and have been going there for years to visit my sister. It’s the most beautiful unspoiled county.
    BUT the weather is a huge deterrent. They get so much more rain and cloud and grey damp weather than the East coast I’m almost on the beach here in Mornington Co Meath and it’s just fabulous, we get more than our fair share of sun and blue skies.

When I’m older I’d still love to move away, to a slower pace of life and less traffic and busyness , but if I’m honest the weather is the biggest factor .

Maybe I’ll look at Wicklow !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I used to always give the west a lot of crap but going to Donegal for the first time in a long while, my opinion changed dramatically. The period I went was apparently one of the better ones up there this summer but even then, it was blustery with a good few rain showers. If that was one of the better periods this summer weather wise, sorry but I don’t think I could live in the west. Magnificent landscapes and eye candy for photographers or those who crave scenery but weather... really is a no-no. I hope to be going every once in a while in future to see the rest of it though and the weather will not stop me because it was one of my best experiences I have had in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The period I went was apparently one of the better ones up there this summer but even then, it was blustery with a good few rain showers.

I grew up on the west coast and it's really a beautiful and magnificent place especially when the sun comes out. You become immune to it when you live there hence people comment about what tourists must think of the weather, they're not there for the weather. Irish people go elsewhere for the weather.

People that spend a lot of time over on the East coast rarely experience the kind of drizzle that gets you damp which lasts all day every day for a week. It's not quite raining but it's not...not raining either.

Met and RTE used to have a tendency to ignore anything that was going on there too so storms would come and go without mention. That all seems to be better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bazlers

Hi All,
    Bit of a crystal ball question but do you think we will experience any red alert warnings this autumn/winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

bazlers wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Bit of a crystal ball question

Jaysus you're right there.

You'd be asking people to guess realistically. I'll guess yes, but that's based on nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What you also need to remember is that during proper hot easterlies the west gets the calmest, sunniest and hottest weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was sunny for a while earlier now clouded over and showers. It’s also very breezy and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Doesnt look like Athenry is going to reach 300mm now

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

Still new record....bar Lough Eske

pauldry wrote: »

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

It’s 299.8mm last I counted Paul counting the rain since midnight.

EDIT: I counted again and it's now 299.9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Torrential rain in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Lovely day in the west after a washout all day yesterday. Sitting out and it is lovely and warm once the sun stays out. Odd heavy shower but they are infrequent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bright and blustery in Castlebar, and thankfully it has been dry since 09.00 after about 30 hours straight of rain.

And just like that it starts to rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I used to always give the west a lot of crap but going to Donegal for the first time in a long while, my opinion changed dramatically. The period I went was apparently one of the better ones up there this summer but even then, it was blustery with a good few rain showers. If that was one of the better periods this summer weather wise, sorry but I don’t think I could live in the west. Magnificent landscapes and eye candy for photographers or those who crave scenery but weather... really is a no-no. I hope to be going every once in a while in future to see the rest of it though and the weather will not stop me because it was one of my best experiences I have had in my life.

The climate of the west is far more complex. Donegal is far more exposed to the Atlantic winds that we are here in inland Connacht for example and not really comparable at all.

As great a place Dublin is, and as great as the people are, I would find the weather there to be an even more boring version of what we have on this side of the island, and I don't think I could handle that too well given that I can barely handle the mediocrity here as it is.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As great a place Dublin is
    I don’t actually find Dublin a great place, quite the opposite to be honest with it needing a makeover but that’s a discussion for another forum :P . Weather wise, I guess I’ll make a better judgement on the west overall when I go to others in future and compare with reports I’ve seen.

I don’t actually find Dublin a great place, quite the opposite to be honest with it needing a makeover but that’s a discussion for another forum :P . Weather wise, I guess I’ll make a better judgement on the west overall when I go to others in future and compare with reports I’ve seen.
    Even when lived in Connemara which is in the same county as my own, I could not believe the general differences between there and here. Totally different world geographically, culturally and meteorologically!

Dublin to me as an outsider is Ok. I've seen worse places.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pauldry wrote: »

Only 286mm up to now

Needs 14mm today.

Prob only 4mm

Sorry I am confused.
    Xenji wrote: »
    Technically 615mm in Lough Eske in 1985 would be the current record.

Are you saying Athenry's 300mm is in 2nd place?

Sorry I am confused.

Are you saying Athenry's 300mm is in 2nd place?

It is a record for the station, but nationally for August it recorded less than half the record and I doubt it is even close to the top 10, I think there are over 500 volunteer ran rain stations in the country so it is hard to correlate all the information.

It is a record for the station, but nationally for August it recorded less than half the record and I doubt it is even close to the top 10, I think there are over 500 volunteer ran rain stations in the country so it is hard to correlate all the information.

I was looking through the daily data for August 1985 here for 'Mt. Lough Eske' and the figures as shown on the Met Eireann 'extreme' page for August do not add up for the station, as figures from the daily data for the station 'only' show 380.3mm for that month, which is sizable enough in itself.

We also have to keep in mind that this station is also located at an altitude above 270m asl, so it is in a mountainous region in the NW and therefore always prone to excessive rainfall totals. Athenry, by comparison, is a low lying station in the relatively sheltered east Galway region, so while totals this month at this lowly station do not compare with those of Lough Eske in back in 1985, they are just as impressive, in fact, probably more so.

New Moon

I'd have some caution with the met.ie extremes page as the max wind gust for August record is incorrect (144 km/h at Claremorris on 11 Aug 1999 it says) which I've told them about before but no change or response, so I wouldn't be surprised about other mistakes.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I was looking through the daily data for August 1985 here for 'Mt. Lough Eske' and the figures as shown on the Met Eireann 'extreme' page for August do not add up for the station, as figures from the daily data for the station 'only' show 380.3mm for that month, which is sizable enough in itself.

We also have to keep in mind that this station is also located at an altitude above 270m asl, so it is in a mountainous region in the NW and therefore always prone to excessive rainfall totals. Athenry, by comparison, is a low lying station in the relatively sheltered east Galway region, so while totals this month at this lowly station do not compare with those of Lough Eske in back in 1985, they are just as impressive, in fact, probably more so.

Never had great trust myself when a station is close to a mountainous area, I have said it is exceptional for the area and it is especially for August with no major daily falls outside of yesterday and the 6th, these volunteered stations are prone to inaccuracies and anomalies .

• Advertisement

Never had great trust myself when a station is close to a mountainous area, I have said it is exceptional for the area and it is especially for August with no major daily falls outside of yesterday and the 4th, these volunteered stations are prone to inaccuracies and anomalies .

I think you are right, but as Syran pointed out, it is a bit weird how Met Eireann are listing inaccurate figures on their 'Extremes' page, unless they hae more data available to them than what they have made available to the public, which I thought would be pretty much all of it in fairness.

New Moon

Advertisement