Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cracking day in Dublin CC. Really lovely. I'm starting to think there's not much point in looking at weather forecasts any more.

I have taken to looking out the window !! Much better than a forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote:
    thankfully though this year even though it has been very humid most days, botrytis has not been an issue like recent years.

Pollen has been the killer for me this year. Levels seem to have been running particularly high this summer, and more especially during the first half. (my nose, eyes and head are finely tuned radar). Not sure was this down to the curious combination of long, protracted dry spells and high humidity, but something really triggered it off this year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

Absolute belter of a day here in North Kildare. Going by another thread on this forum - which was all doom and gloom regarding satellite images - I was expecting a washout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Ardent wrote: »
    Absolute belter of a day here in North Kildare. Going by another thread on this forum - which was all doom and gloom regarding satellite images - I was expecting a washout!
    The rain isn't due until tonight though? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I do sometimes wonder why people diss Ireland's weather all the time
    I can understand bad spells and what's been going on in Donegal and to a lesser extent in the coastal counties of the west

We don't have Bali's climate
    If you want that you may go there and stay there
    You'll soon miss an awful lot of wonderful things about Ireland though
    It does depend what part of Ireland you live but honestly, with few exceptions I've had plenty of nice summer weather here near Arklow in the last couple of decades
    Today was a classic beach day
    Not a drop of rain,a nice tonic ahead of the overnight into friday onslaught
    glad for you mate its been complete sh1t in cork city for weeks except for the odd day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Just as quickly as the skies cleared this morning it clouded back over again...our only fine day of the week and it was crap..Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna metioned the lack of Shannon radar on the forecast just now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Completely overcast in Limk City.

Still dry but cloud becoming lower and darker.

19.3c, 1002.2 hPa, falling rapidly, 68% rh. dewpoint 13c.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just booked a place in Gweedore, Donegal for later next week! I expect great things Wild Atlantic Way. :cool:

Generally turned overcast this evening in Dublin but I can't complain after such a beautiful day yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sh1t weekend coming up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Joanna metioned the lack of Shannon radar on the forecast just now

A full week after it went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Just booked a place in Gweedore, Donegal for later next week! I expect great things Wild Atlantic Way. :cool:

Generally turned overcast this evening in Dublin but I can't complain after such a beautiful day yet again.

Have a great time and hope the Wild Atlantic Way gives you some interesting weather! 🌧☀️ ⚡️💨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

sryanbruen wrote: »

Nice, flying up or driving? I'd invite you for a cup of tea but I'm off to France in the morning :D

Let me know though if you're looking for any tips on where to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the fascination with sunshine. Nothing like a beautiful, sunny and warm morning for sure, but personally speaking, I find afternoon sunshine to be too harsh and unappealing for my senses.

I'm not great without sunglasses in it in fairness, I'd be squinting like a mole. I still feel like a different man in good sunshine, I appreciate it from the shade mostly, but it really lifts my mood something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

fryup wrote: »
    sh1t weekend coming up :(

Weekend for a nice dark pub with air con lol, :P

Nice, flying up or driving? I'd invite you for a cup of tea but I'm off to France in the morning :D

Let me know though if you're looking for any tips on where to go :)
    Driving and no problem at all, well deserved to be honest. Enjoy!

Yeah, some recommendations would be good. I have some ideas like Malin Head, Mount Errigal, Clonmany and Glenveagh National Park. Haven't been up here in a very long time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Absolutely peeing down in Naas on and off all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a crap day. Absolutely lashing all day + feels cold for so called summer. Looks like August will be living up to its reputation as a crap summer month for the next few days with rain, rain + more rain. I hope Met Eireann have it wrong but funny enough they can usually predict bad weather better than heatwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RIP summer 2019 we hardly knew you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lawred2 wrote: »

The models look very unsettled for the next 3 to 4 weeks, typical August Autumn style weather with the Atlantic firmly back in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's not that bad an evening here - some sunshine mixed with light showers but it's a bit cool @17.7C. This is the second day of the month when it didn't quite reach 20. The high was 19.4C this afternoon.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The models look very unsettled for the next 3 to 4 weeks, typical August Autumn style weather with the Atlantic firmly back in charge.
    Subtle hints from teleconnections of the weather settling down later in August and going into September, just in time for the kids going back to school as per usual. Only subtle for now but there nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Our Italian student just told us over dinner about the 15th August in Italy being a national holiday... Midsummer's day.

I cried a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The last couple of days has been the first real poor period of weather in the west, from the point of view that the horrible humidity, dark heavy cloud and frequent heavy showers are back.

Upto now it wasn't too bad since mid June. You could wear a shorts with a jacket if the chill was there. But at least it was dry and you could get sunny breaks and get out and about and plan a day.

I wouldn't like to be camping with kids in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lawred2 wrote: »

wasn't that bad in fairness...some nice spells

..and summers don't finish till the end of sept (imo)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

September is often dryer and warmer than August, I can remember quite a few of them. We can still get temperatures of 25 and 26C in September under the right conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

September is often dryer and warmer than August, I can remember quite a few of them. We can still get temperatures of 25 and 26C in September under the right conditions.

Even the first or second week of October can sometimes reach temperatures of 20C plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

July wasn’t to bad June was poor though. Is August even Summer? May certainly isn’t. The Irish summer is probably the end of June and July.

Now the May to July 2019 NAO value is the most negative it has been on record. Unless we see a dramatic change in the second half, there’s a strong possibility that the Summer NAO (June to August 2019) might be the most negative on record too. The complete opposite to 2018 which broke records for positive NAO.

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1159711169600466944?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strong enough winds + gusts here on the south coast directly across from the sea currently. Angry seas too, big waves.

Advertisement