Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Music Of The Commentarius Rinuccinianus'

• 22-01-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

This is a very long shot, but does anybody know anything about the above-named cd? I was rooting through a cabinet the other day and I came across it. A google search is futile (the spelling is correct). And I don't have the outside case for it. It was, however, produced by the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism in collaboration with UU in Coleraine. It is undated.

There are fourteen tunes in it, and I'm trying to find out more about them. The tunes include Thugamar féin an Samhradh linn (on fiddle & whistle), Lament for Eoghan Ruadh (on wire-strung harp) and Cailín ó chois tSiúire mé (Calleno Custurame) (on harpsichord), which Shakespeare apparently mentioned in Henry V, Montrose's March (on wire-strung harp), Máirseáil Alasdruim (on pipes), Ormond House (on harpsichord), Lillibulero (on fiddle & whistle), Old Noll's Jig (on harpsichord). Presumably all tunes are from the period when Giovanni Rinuccini was papal nuncio in Ireland (1645 -49), although the inclusion of a tune named Danny Boy (played on wire-strung harp) would appear to sit oddly here unless the tune has origins in the 17th century. More curiously, the last two tracks are given no names at all.

Would anybody know anything more about the history of any of these songs, and why they would have been chosen as a musical representation of Ireland in the 1640s?

Advertisement