Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying an apartment that had pyrite issues

• 16-11-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently viewed a really nice third floor apartment in Temple Court, Northwood, Santry. I have been told that the block had pyrite issues but had remedial works done on the ground floor and has qualified certificates to this effect. I am strongly considering an offer as it’s a nice area and the apartment is in good order.

Does anybody have any experience of these type of situations in the area or elsewhere or know how effective such remediation work is ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Once they get the green cert (I think that’s what it’s called) then they technically are fine. Pyrite occurred in the sub floor granular fill despite many people believing it was foundations etc that were damaged.

It’s relatively simple Fix if caught early.
    How’s the price?
    Is there many interested in it?

Basically, the day you buy is the day you sell so you have to work out if you think you’ll have issues selling in the future.

Personally speaking I think it’s ok once the works were carried out and certificate offered. It’s better than buying within a block that may have it and just not discovered yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not a deal breaker but an additional risk.

You can make offers and go sale agreed if you really think it is a good deal. But before you sign contracts make sure you have a good surveyor both inspect the premises and carefully review all the history/paperwork related to the situation to have and idea of what was found and what has been done/certified. And if there is any refusal or unreasonable delay when you / your solicitor / your surveyor request additional information/paperwork related to this, just walk away - no deal can be good enough to justify a lack of clarity on this type of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

First you should check with the Bank if they will give you the mortgage if you need one. When we were watching houses in balbriggan, I have been told that the bank will never realise the money for the house with pyrite. We did not buy there, too big risk.

Advertisement