Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please Be More Visible

Options
  • 09-11-2019 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

The amount of cyclists on the roads these dark evenings in dark clothing, very poor lighting, no reflective gear is ridicously dangerous.

You are putting your life in danger particularly on evenings where the heavy rain is impacting visibility.

What is so difficult about wearing a hi viz jacket?
    In my estimation, less than half of cyclists are taken enough steps to make sure they are seen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Maybe take more care on the roads yourself? Or is that idea ludicrous?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Where did the OP say he doesn't take care? I think he makes a fair point. Safer road for all users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hello and welcome to the cycling forum.
    please take note of the charter, specifically the note that this is a place for cyclists to discuss cycling and not a place for non-cyclists to hold us to account for the behaviour of other cyclists, even if it's well intentioned.

if you are not a cyclist, please also be aware that most posters here are probably far more cognisant of the ins and outs of being visible that the average joe, and (should i be so bold as to speak for the rest of the posters here), i would sum the general feeling on the forum as this: the priority of measures to take in order to remain visible, in descending order of importance is:

1. lights.
    2. drivers actually looking at you.
    3. lights.
    4. drivers actually looking at you.
    5. hi vis.

we have a dedicated megathread for the topic of hi-vis clothing, you may find that illuminating (i'm here all week) on the topic, as this seems to be of particular concern for you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136508

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Are you serious? No matter how careful a driver is, it is extremely difficult to see someone who in dark clothing and poor visible.

Do they have a death wish? Is it compo culture? Is it naivety in that maybe they've never driven and seen the effect for themselves? Is it just downright stupidity?

No motorist ever want to injure a cyclist but a lot cannot be seen and when people raise the issue they are met with an attitude like yours.

If Mods would be prefer to move the thread to After hours or some place for general discussion,then please do.

I accept that most people in the cycling forum are probably more visible than the standard commuter, however surely even those cyclists have to admit that there are a lot of people on the road that do not take enough care.

Btw, I do cycle, albeit leisurely more than competitively or commuting, so think there shouldn't be an issue with me posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no-one here is going to argue that there are many people cycling around without adequate lights (or any lights at all) on their bikes. there's a lot of experience and knowledge on remaining visible on the forum, and the people your post is addressed to are highly unlikely to be found here.

it's a particular bugbear of mine that i pass so many people on bikes who have invested in hi-vis clothing, but think this is a magic blanket which negates the need for lights. lights, first and foremost, are what is required, both from an efficacy point of view, and a legal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I was recently coming from donnybrook turning right onto Waterloo Road in the dark, a cyclist wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear was cycling down the wrong side. Jammed on and missed him by maybe 2 foot, he starts waving his arms at me. It frightened the sh1t€ out of me, and I'm very wary of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is it compo culture? Is it naivety in that maybe they've never driven and seen the effect for themselves? Is it just downright stupidity?

Sounds like it's drivers making excuses for not being more observant when they drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I was recently coming from donnybrook turning right onto Waterloo Road in the dark, a cyclist wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear was cycling down the wrong side. Jammed on and missed him by maybe 2 foot, he starts waving his arms at me. It frightened the sh1t€ out of me mad I'm very wary of cyclists.

If there was a predestrian forum would you post about the random people who crossed your path and wore dark clothing?
    Part of the problem here is a person on a bike is a cyclist but all cyclists are not the same.

I was recently coming from donnybrook turning right onto Waterloo Road in the dark, a cyclist wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear was cycling down the wrong side. Jammed on and missed him by maybe 2 foot, he starts waving his arms at me. It frightened the sh1t€ out of me mad I'm very wary of cyclists.

Thank you. My post was prompted my a very near miss earlier this evening where I very nearly hit a cyclist, fully in black, no lights, nothing who absolutely cursed me out of it and didn't seem to understand that he had frightened the life out of me and came so close to be injured or worse. He took zero personal responsibility taken at all.

I wasn't going fast so chances are he would have been ok but it terrified me to think he could have been killed if I hadn't reacted so fast. No helmet and if he hit his head at all, only God knows where we would both be by now. I have just about stopped shaking. I am driving years and this is the first near miss I've had but have noticed a lot of people on the road who are poorly lit up in recent weeks.

• Advertisement

If there was a predestrian forum would you post about the random people who crossed your path and wore dark clothing?
    Part of the problem here is a person on a bike is a cyclist but all cyclists are not the same.

Most pedestrians are on the footpath so it's not as much of a problem in my experience but yes, all poorly visible people are a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

If Mods would be prefer to move the thread to After hours or some place for general discussion,then please do.

I accept that most people in the cycling forum are probably more visible than the standard commuter, however surely even those cyclists have to admit that there are a lot of people on the road that do not take enough care.

Btw, I do cycle, albeit leisurely more than competitively or commuting, so think there shouldn't be an issue with me posting here.

Were you wearing dayglo clothing yourself to make yourself more visible? Were you covered with reflectors?

If you answer these questions honestly you might begin to understand why you'll get no-one here disagreeing that all cyclist should have front and rear lights at night (irrespective of legal requirement), but that dayglo (think about why it is called that) is so far far less important that it is an irrelevance.

Yes there are a lot of people on the road who could be more visible... idiot cyclists with no lights, forgetful drivers driving without their lights on (I see one or two a day), idiot drivers driving with non-functioning lights etc etc

There are definitely a lot of people on the road who could be taking more care... you've hit the nail on the head there, but possibly not for the reason you think.

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like it's drivers making excuses for not being more observant when they drive.

Well apologies for wanting not to injure or kill people. I'm frustrated by it, trying to understand it, and wonder what can be done about it.

I cannot understand the defensive attitude. I am not attacking all cyclists. I'm trying to understand why some cyclists do not make themselves visible enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I was recently coming from donnybrook turning right onto Waterloo Road in the dark, a cyclist wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear was cycling down the wrong side. Jammed on and missed him by maybe 2 foot, he starts waving his arms at me. It frightened the sh1t€ out of me, and I'm very wary of cyclists.

Well done for avoiding him. I think most people on the forum would consider him an idiot for multiple reasons. Unfortunately it's the idiot part is the problem, rather than the cycling. He'd still be an idiot driving a car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

OP please have a look at our charter before starting a thread in here again, specifically the point about negativity.
    Cyclists are not one homogenous group, we are people on bikes and the behaviour of one cyclist does not represent us all, no more than the behaviour of one driver or pedestrian represents the behaviour of all drivers or pedestrians.
    Also whilst having a look at the charter you will notice that there are megathreads on high-viz etc. so if you want to discuss visibility (charter in mind) you can find a thread for that.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement