Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

newly separated

Options
  • 29-10-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently separated and have a few questions that someone might be able to help me with.

(1) I wish to return to my maiden name asap. Is it worth to change it by deedpoll? We haven't done anything legal wise yet in relation to separation. Had an issue in credit union the other day as I have an old a/c in maiden name and they were saying for GDPR purposes as I had no id in maiden name I would need to bring in marriage cert and change it to married name....total opposite of what I want to do. How difficult is it to change name at work, bank, medical records etc?

(2) Do you have to be legally separated to claim the spcc allowance?

(3) Any tips on where to start ? Is it possible to do DIY legal separation? Married abroad so does separation have to be abroad?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Another day

You can just change back to your maiden name, no need for deed poll. Just reapply for passport/driver's licence in that name and advise bank etc. Advise Revenue and you will revert to old PPS no as well as getting single parent tax credit if your child lives with you.

You don't need to be legally separated to claim, you may need to prove it.

Try meditation to reach agreement with ex. If you do manage to,you can then get it rubber stamped by courts. Much cheaper than court.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Bank is saying I need legal separation to change back to maiden name. Seems ridiculous, it’s my maiden ...I should have a right to use it when I want. I don’t think I should have to prove separation! Anyway, I’m going to keep fighting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

You can't revert to maiden name for your passport until you are divorced, they ask for a copy of the divorce decree.

I was lucky in that I had ID in both names so I just opened up a new bank account in my maiden name and closed the old one.

Work/GP etc just tell them you are reverting to your maiden name. If you have a pension, also make sure you ask HR for a wishes form to fill out who your pension or death in service benefits should go to, as they would automatically go to your husband otherwise.

If there are any assets or kids I wouldn't recommend a DIY separation. Yes, you can go to mediation and then get it certified by a solicitor, that would be cheaper. I would recommend at least having an initial consultation with a family law solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

I think Bank is going to let me change to maiden name. I was lucky I had a utility bill in my maiden name and that along with birth cert and marriage cert and ID should be ok. I was lucky I had a bank employee who fought for it for me. I feel very strongly that people should be allowed to use maiden name as they wish, no need for divorce or legal separation. I’m still waiting for confirmation but bank employee at local branch told me she nearly had it over the line, I had to send in written confirmation that I requested it. Fingers crossed. I’m going to tackle the bigger ones then... passport and drivers licence.

Advertisement