Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

overprotective husband

• 27-10-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was at a school friends wedding. I took a photo of a different friend during the night. Her husband comes up to asking was there a reason for taking photos. He walked off without getting an answer and a few minutes he came like a bull demanding I remove the last photo I too.

I deleted the photo, either way, it was a bad photo. I have been asked to go out with the gang tonight but I feel it is better I stay away from the husband.

I could be thinking to much into it. Was he being too overprotective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

cena wrote: »
    Yesterday I was at a school friends wedding. I took a photo of a different friend during the night. Her husband comes up to asking was there a reason for taking photos. He walked off without getting an answer and a few minutes he came like a bull demanding I remove the last photo I too.

I deleted the photo, either way, it was a bad photo. I have been asked to go out with the gang tonight but I feel it is better I stay away from the husband.

I could be thinking to much into it. Was he being too overprotective?

It’s one thing being overprotective, it’s quite something else when what you’re describing sounds to me like someone behaving like an arsehole. Of course it’s better if you stay away from him, but I wouldn’t be going out of my way to avoid him either, just tell him to jog on really is the best course of action in those circumstances.

For what it’s worth, I don’t like myself in photos, but I understand if I’m at an occasion like a wedding, there’s going to be people there taking photos. That’s arsehole behaviour going over to someone and attempting to intimidate them like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

It’s one thing being overprotective, it’s quite something else when what you’re describing sounds to me like someone behaving like an arsehole. Of course it’s better if you stay away from him, but I wouldn’t be going out of my way to avoid him either, just tell him to jog on really is the best course of action in those circumstances.

For what it’s worth, I don’t like myself in photos, but I understand if I’m at an occasion like a wedding, there’s going to be people there taking photos. That’s arsehole behaviour going over to someone and attempting to intimidate them like that.

He is bit of a fool. He put a damper out the night when it was going good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did ask her if you can take a photo? His behaviour was a bit over the top but you don't mention if you ask for the permission to take the photo.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Did ask her if you can take a photo? His behaviour was a bit over the top but you don't mention if you ask for the permission to take the photo.

Yup I asked her

Then it's definitely something I would stay out off.

• Advertisement

Then it's definitely something I would stay out off.

I wish I hadn't. Would like to be out with them. It just wouldn't like to cause in trouble on my friend the bride

cena wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't. Would like to be out with them. It just wouldn't like to cause in trouble on my friend the bride

So go out and stay away from the other friend and her crazy husband. Half of these things can be managed by ignoring crazy people. It's not like you are causing trouble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It has absolutely nothing to do with him, it's not even a photo of him. He is a random person, asking you to delete a photo of someone else. He has no right whatsoever to do that. I'd probably have told him to f off.

If you're out and about in public, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. It's common courtesy to ask, but in plenty of circumstances, like in a crowd, it is not reasonable to ask. It is also not required.

If you were harassing her by sticking a camera in her face, or using the photo in some way to harass her that's different, as it's harassment. On the basis of what you've said here, you did everything right. you got permission and you took a photo. You didn't use it to harrass her.

I wouldn't think twice about him, his mistake, not yours. Go out with your friends with your head held high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

His behaviour was a bit over the top...

He sounds like a control freak to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

His attitude sounds horrible and the way he spoke to to you seems from the facts provided very uncalled for. I'm not sure why he was annoyed as it wasn't his photo but his wifes however
    I absolutely hate being on a night out with someone insisting on taking photos if it to put online etc.
    Thankfully my own circle of friends would be of the same mind generally and our nights out don't involve camera phones documenting our night.
    At a wedding there is a reasonable expectation that you will be in a photo or two so I will pose for the necessary ones and smile etc but to be honest it wears thin fast and certainly on a night out with people who are just acquaintances I have politely asked that they not take my photo and post online etc.
    Op there are many reasons a person doesn't want to have their photo online for anyone to see be it family reasons or avoiding a troublesome relationship I believe a person is entitled not to have another annoying them with a camera phone. However he should not have spoken to you like that perhaps if he had just asked you not to take their photos none of this would have arisen.
    I would suggest that you attend the night out and have a great time don't go taking photos of people just enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement