Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

can you get cattle slaughtered?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Finally got my 6 AA bullocks 33 Months booked into Kepak next Tuesday.

Base plus 8 cent hopefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Finally got my 6 AA bullocks 33 Months booked into Kepak next Tuesday.

Same also. Going Monday. Was hassling the agent most days for the last 3 weeks. 30 month cattle must be drying up

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

After about 5 weeks of waiting I’ve 5 bulls going next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Last 3 posts here waiting at least a while to get cattle hung up. some wonder why prices were not moving in the right direction for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ruwithme wrote: »
    Last 3 posts here waiting at least a while to get cattle hung up. some wonder why prices were not moving in the right direction for us.

I'll make that 4 over 50 went overage because of strike 13 left.No idea when they will go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

MIKEKC wrote: »
    I'll make that 4 over 50 went overage because of strike 13 left.No idea when they will go

They'll go very very quickly now - with the price lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While it was a struggle to kill cattle during October and early November It seems to have got easier over last 3 weeks especially if you have underage cattle in the bunch. Price is really the only issue now with no price rise forthcoming.

Processors have acted the mick with smaller producers. They reneged on certain aspects of the agreement. I know a few lads that were docked 10c/kg on over 36 month cattle. These were cattle at 400kg DW so not really heavy carcasses. They have also pulled heifers back to bullock prices. Unless we see radical changes we will see a large downsizing in the industry like we say with lamb in the late noughties.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

While it was a struggle to kill cattle during October and early November It seems to have got easier over last 3 weeks especially if you have underage cattle in the bunch. Price is really the only issue now with no price rise forthcoming.

Processors have acted the mick with smaller producers. They reneged on certain aspects of the agreement. I know a few lads that were docked 10c/kg on over 36 month cattle. These were cattle at 400kg DW so not really heavy carcasses. They have also pulled heifers back to bullock prices. Unless we see radical changes we will see a large downsizing in the industry like we say with lamb in the late noughties.
    Chatting Mill rep recently, things are very quiet
    Allot gone from bull beef is the reason
    No point in Farmer losing money to keep mill busy either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Chatting Mill rep recently, things are very quiet
    Allot gone from bull beef is the reason
    No point in Farmer losing money to keep mill busy either

Probably be a huge amount of cattle fattened off grass so, it'll be like the lambs then, everyone going for the low cost system and driving down the autumn price....... this might be a good year compared to next

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

My six angus killed out well. All over 400kg. I got over €200 each above what I got for my under age angus two months ago.

Base price up to €3.55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If farmers are moving a away from Bull beef would it be possible that next year 2020 there will actually be a shortage of beef as all the would be bulls (16 - 18 months old) wouldn't be in the system and then in 2021 there will be deluge of cattle in the system as these bulls will then be coming into the system as steer beef at 24 - 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    If farmers are moving a away from Bull beef would it be possible that next year 2020 there will actually be a shortage of beef as all the would be bulls (16 - 18 months old) wouldn't be in the system and then in 2021 there will be deluge of cattle in the system as these bulls will then be coming into the system as steer beef at 24 - 30 months.
    That would be my worry, but a lot of the bulls would be suitable for early finish as Bullock's so it might help to level things out better than we think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Was told that there is a big shortage of u24 month bull beef in the system for next year but I still wouldn't chance filling a shed with them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’m not sure if as many exited the bulls as we think. I’ve heard of a few bigger lads alright that cut bulls in the spring but a lot of the smaller and mid sized finishers carried them through the summer as bulls. Also There seems to be plenty of bulls being killed and the bull kill is still up 3.5% on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would most lads have an agreement in place with factories before they start feeding bulls or would they just gamble it?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

Base price up to €3.55.

Heifers I take it ??
    Athleague ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Would most lads have an agreement in place with factories before they start feeding bulls or would they just gamble it?

Probably the bigger lads would have alright but most it’s just a gamble I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Was told that there is a big shortage of u24 month bull beef in the system for next year but I still wouldn't chance filling a shed with them lol.
    I don’t think factories ever need a supply of bulls . Some factories won’t take bulls for any money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably be a huge amount of cattle fattened off grass so, it'll be like the lambs then, everyone going for the low cost system and driving down the autumn price....... this might be a good year compared to next

I prefer to fatten off grass for a bad price than fatten out of the shed for a bad price. The economics of winter finishing is crazy. for the last two years. Last year a price of 3.75 for most of the winter with bulls 30-50c/kg below that. Average animal costs about 2.5-3/day to finish over the winter in feeding costs alone.
    My six angus killed out well. All over 400kg. I got over €200 each above what I got for my under age angus two months ago.

Base price up to €3.55.

What weights and grades were the underage compared to the older ones. Older ones more than likely ate most of that two hundred euro in feed costs. extra.

Until lads refuse to put cattle into sheds processors will continue to sh!t on lads. As mush as I can I will stay away from winter finishing. Until retailers and processors realize we will not feed cattle for nothing they will continue to screw us.

Winter finishing is too much of a gamble. Too many cattle only break even. Lots of cattle around 22-24 months will only kill around the 300 kgs as steers at this age. At present base price a 300kg O+ steer will come into less than 1100 euro. To feed him for 100 days will cost 230 euro. Add in dosing, mortality and machinery costs is another 40-50 euro. Mart, transport and slaughter fees another 40-50 euro. Take that away a from 1090 is 770 euro.

Put in a margin of 100 euro and you see the economics are crazy.
    1373 wrote: »
    I don’t think factories ever need a supply of bulls . Some factories won’t take bulls for any money

factories are very chose now that the kill is over 35k/week. If it was back below 30k they have been known to take horses

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just home from dropping 3 suckler culls to the factory for a neighbour and the lairaige was half full. Chatting with the man who takes them in and he said that they will be full again tonight.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Heifers I take it ??
    Athleague ??

Bullocks athleague

There seems to be a large number of people on DoneDeal looking for heavy/overage cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bullocks athleague

Are heifers at 3.65 so ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Are heifers at 3.65 so ?

Not sure. Steers only

Advertisement