Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get cattle slaughtered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a bunch of cows from the parkour, will their price rise a bit in a few weeks or am I better off unloading

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have a bunch of cows from the parkour, will their price rise a bit in a few weeks or am I better off unloading

Hard to know. U30 month QA cattle will rise across the board provided thet are from TB free herds.. However other cattle may not and cows direct from parlour are just above stock bulls in the pecking order.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭50HX

Backlog of cattle me arse...

15 cows at 10am in an Abp plant yestarday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

50HX wrote: »

Maybe that's all they have a market for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

50HX wrote: »

Exactly, it's been the standard 7 weeks from agent calling to cattle loading.

Heard of lads 9 weeks but that's margin of error stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

wrangler wrote: »
    Maybe that's all they have a market for

Uncle sent 12 bullocks last week to factory in north cork. 7 over age and 5 under 30 months. Rang on friday, sent on thursday morning. 6 day from call to kill

Uncle sent 12 bullocks last week to factory in north cork. 7 over age and 5 under 30 months. Rang on friday, sent on thursday morning. 6 day from call to kill

What are you saying, is it dependent on whether the processor is prepared to show any good will or not, some of the processors are calling the protesters ex-customers.
    Southern farmers seem to be getting on better for some reason, backlog has to be reducing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's definitely picking up now, the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Danzy wrote: »
    It's definitely picking up now, the last week.

Maybe but still no sign of a rise.

What are you saying, is it dependent on whether the processor is prepared to show any good will or not, some of the processors are calling the protesters ex-customers.
    Southern farmers seem to be getting on better for some reason, backlog has to be reducing at this stage.

Im just saying its not hard to get cattle killed in my area.

• Advertisement

Some of the lads that took cattle in during the picket are nearly treated ex customers now

Slava Ukrainii

Some of the lads that took cattle in during the picket are nearly treated ex customers now

Two farmers here got them in within a week, one to each local factory.
    A neighbour had €1500 between buying and selling 8 hobby cattle for summer grazing, I thought it was alright for the year that was in it, he kept them the bare seven mths

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Keep Sluicing

What area are you in? Which processors?

Thanks. I may be willing to travel with cattle as I have to work on shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

In my experience down here it's actually the opposite of what your saying but that's just my experience so I can't speak for anyone else.

Keep Sluicing

What area are you in? Which processors?

Thanks. I may be willing to travel with cattle as I have to work on shed.

Im in West Cork but all our cattle (and my uncles) go to either Kepak Watergrasshill or Dawn Charleville.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In my experience down here it's actually the opposite of what your saying but that's just my experience so I can't speak for anyone else.

If the factory us killing for China they will not not kill cattle from restricted herds or herds that hhat had TB in last 6 months until after they have killed China cattle. Know of one lad that is struggling to kill cattle over the last 2-3 weeks. Yes he is getting them killed but it always late in the day it seems.

That is my understanding anyway. It could be a huge issue fir lads killing cows down the line if China contract continued to have good demand over the nest 6+ months. Lads may have to stay away from cows. This issue has only risen over the last few weeks as killing for China starred to accelerate

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The reason for under 30 month beef is buoyant sales in uk retailers.
    China is only taking offal and low value carcass trim. Uruguay Brazil and New Zealand are better placed to benefit from the increased demand for primal cuts or even diced and minced beef.
    270000 tonnes of beef went to the uk last year. It will tally same this year perhaps.
    China will be at its very best to take 10000 tonnes of low value.
    It is good news don’t get me wrong but the notion that guys seem to have about China being a high value market is ludicrous. They are just paying better than pet food.

If the factory us killing for China they will not not kill cattle from restricted herds or herds that hhat had TB in last 6 months until after they have killed China cattle. Know of one lad that is struggling to kill cattle over the last 2-3 weeks. Yes he is getting them killed but it always late in the day it seems.

That is my understanding anyway. It could be a huge issue fir lads killing cows down the line if China contract continued to have good demand over the nest 6+ months. Lads may have to stay away from cows. This issue has only risen over the last few weeks as killing for China starred to accelerate

Ya I'd usually drop them in at night this time of year but kicked back till about ten any morning now.

Ya I'd usually drop them in at night this time of year but kicked back till about ten any morning now.

Are you restricted or had you failed a testwithin the last 6 months.

Slava Ukrainii

Are you restricted or had you failed a testwithin the last 6 months.

Yes

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    The reason for under 30 month beef is buoyant sales in uk retailers.
    China is only taking offal and low value carcass trim. Uruguay Brazil and New Zealand are better placed to benefit from the increased demand for primal cuts or even diced and minced beef.
    270000 tonnes of beef went to the uk last year. It will tally same this year perhaps.
    China will be at its very best to take 10000 tonnes of low value.
    It is good news don’t get me wrong but the notion that guys seem to have about China being a high value market is ludicrous. They are just paying better than pet food.

China takes low value cuts. I saw a figure that at time 55% of a carcass has to be minced/diced at times. It demand for low value cuts that will drive prices believe it or not. Steaks will always sell themselves. China will have different markets just like ourselves. and they too have higher end discerning customers as well. If the demand for fore quarter meat increases, McDonald's et all will all have to pay more for the humble burger. This in turn makes cheaper steak more competitive. Resturants in general have replaced a lot of red meat didhes with the humble burger, gone are the lamb chop and the small cheap steak off the menu. If mince get dearer everything gets dearer. Processors have no problem shifting steaking cuts it moving the rest where the real profit could be.

Slava Ukrainii

Yes

That was the point I was making. Rumour is that U30 month cattle from unrestricted herds will see the first price rise. People with these cattle will also have no issue killing overage stock as they can go up the line with underage. Restricted cattle may well be treated the same as over 30 month during the BSE crisis. Last to be killed and beef segregated in the cold store's.

Slava Ukrainii

That was the point I was making. Rumour is that U30 month cattle from unrestricted herds will see the first price rise. People with these cattle will also have no issue killing overage stock as they can go up the line with underage. Restricted cattle may well be treated the same as over 30 month during the BSE crisis. Last to be killed and beef segregated in the cold store's.

On a plus size I remember in about 2002 trying to gather a load of bullocks one day for kildare that could not be from Clare, kerry, Cork and maybe Galway....

Things haven't got that bad yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aphextwit

Still cannot get bullocks slaughtered. Last of my beef cattle being converted to over 30 months. Thank you dawn.

China takes low value cuts. I saw a figure that at time 55% of a carcass has to be minced/diced at times. It demand for low value cuts that will drive prices believe it or not. Steaks will always sell themselves. China will have different markets just like ourselves. and they too have higher end discerning customers as well. If the demand for fore quarter meat increases, McDonald's et all will all have to pay more for the humble burger. This in turn makes cheaper steak more competitive. Resturants in general have replaced a lot of red meat didhes with the humble burger, gone are the lamb chop and the small cheap steak off the menu. If mince get dearer everything gets dearer. Processors have no problem shifting steaking cuts it moving the rest where the real profit could be.
    Under 30 month Minced and diced beef is the easiest sold on European and uk markets. What abp is selling the Chinese in the last few months is offal and what they now term as 4th quarter.

Under 30 month Minced and diced beef is the easiest sold on European and uk markets. What abp is selling the Chinese in the last few months is offal and what they now term as 4th quarter.

WTF then for the last two weeks are are all china approved factories changing there supply practices. Because they are obiviously going supplying more than just offal to the Chinese. Why are processors splitting the kill into non restricted and restricted cattle kills. Because it is not just offal that will be going to China. Processors are obiviously after getting contracts for other beef cuts.

If China starts taking cheaper beef cuts it will increase the price of beef going for mince and dicing.

Slava Ukrainii

WTF then for the last two weeks are are all china approved factories changing there supply practices. Because they are obiviously going supplying more than just offal to the Chinese. Why are processors splitting the kill into non restricted and restricted cattle kills. Because it is not just offal that will be going to China. Processors are obiviously after getting contracts for other beef cuts.

If China starts taking cheaper beef cuts it will increase the price of beef going for mince and dicing.
    Abp haven’t changed squat. This has been the case for quite a while.
    China ready pens. For offal and the lowest value trim. 4600 tonnes last year a big shiny press release from bird bia stating that they hope to grow this to perhaps 25000 tonnes in coming years. Good news yes but a game changer in the short term it isn’t.

Anyone getting overage cattle killed. I got 6 overage aa to go. I have started buying for 2020. I need the space. I wouldn't mind travelling at this point.

Also if I wanted a July finish for some cattle next year what should I be looking for now?

Bump.

Anyone send any to the mart?

• Advertisement

Abp haven’t changed squat. This has been the case for quite a while.
    China ready pens. For offal and the lowest value trim. 4600 tonnes last year a big shiny press release from bird bia stating that they hope to grow this to perhaps 25000 tonnes in coming years. Good news yes but a game changer in the short term it isn’t.

Be interesting this week when the Task force gets to meet, is there a slight increase justified, if there's not there'll be war.

Advertisement