Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child dependent

• 09-10-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15 PR79

I was wondering if someone can help. Myself and my wife have separated and my name has been removed from the mortgage. She has sole custody of the children. I see them often and pay maintenance etc. I'm looking to get a mortgage but when I put in 2 dependents I'm pretty much hit with mortgage refusal or less than half of what I'm looking for. It's my belief that the children can only depend on one parent in this situation therefore I wouldn't have any dependents. Would this be true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭holliehobbie

Nope. They're your children too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PR79

Nope. They're your children too!

Yes I know that. This a financial question, not a moral one. But I don't claim child benefit. Is the dependant question taking into accpunt that child maintenance s being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You really need to go to a good broker who will manage the situation.

Basically it's about affordability when how much you are paying in maintenance is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

PR79 wrote: »
    She has sole custody of the children. I see them often and pay maintenance etc.

You have 2 dependents. You have 2 financial commitments until they are 18 or 20 something if they go to college.

Also recently KBC bank secured prosecutions against a couple who provided false information and documents, so don't think, oh I'll just go to a broker and say I have zero dependents, you could land in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Kellen Tender Larva

I think your right, you only state as dependents when your the primary care giver

• Advertisement
Advertisement