Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Visa for Non-EU Partner

• 06-10-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Were moving from Switzerland to the UK next March.
    Im Irish but my partner is from New Zealand.
    We have been looking at the visa options but it all seems to be a bit up in the air due to Brexit.
    It seems we have 2 options:
    A: Apply for the NZ specific youth mobility scheme whereby she get a 2 year working visa and would thereafter need to be sponsored
    B: Apply for EU settlement scheme which would be based on my Irish nationality and would be for 5 years ( depending on Brexit). This would be our preferred option but she cannot start the application process due to needing a Biometric residence card.
    She has a Swiss work permit which has the biometric data but its not being recognised by the UK application app.

Does anyone here have a similar recent experience please that they could share? There doesnt seem to be any contact number for the UK immigration visa dept. and the citizens advice bureau could not assist.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Hi all,

Were moving from Switzerland to the UK next March.
    Im Irish but my partner is from New Zealand.
    We have been looking at the visa options but it all seems to be a bit up in the air due to Brexit.
    It seems we have 2 options:
    A: Apply for the NZ specific youth mobility scheme whereby she get a 2 year working visa and would thereafter need to be sponsored
    B: Apply for EU settlement scheme which would be based on my Irish nationality and would be for 5 years ( depending on Brexit). This would be our preferred option but she cannot start the application process due to needing a Biometric residence card.
    She has a Swiss work permit which has the biometric data but its not being recognised by the UK application app.

Does anyone here have a similar recent experience please that they could share? There doesnt seem to be any contact number for the UK immigration visa dept. and the citizens advice bureau could not assist.

Many thanks in advance.

It will probably be too late to get settled status by then as a new arrival. However if you’re going to make more than 18k a year you can apply under British law to sponsor her as your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It will probably be too late to get settled status by then as a new arrival. However if you’re going to make more than 18k a year you can apply under British law to sponsor her as your partner.

Thank you for your response. We had looked into me sponsoring her but we ruled it out for now as I would have to have proof of employment and it might delay her being able to get a job for a couple of months, but looking at it again we see that if I have cash reserves of at least 16k, I can use that to prove I will be able to sponsor her, are we reading that right do you know?
    If thats the case then maybe it would work.

Advertisement