Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclocross 2019-2020 - The CXy thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

As far I know, you can use 650b in both road and cyclocross.

Tyre width (max 33mm), rather than wheel diameter is regulated in cx.

The only time I have seen these things inspected are at national champs or at international races.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

JazzyJ wrote: »
    How are points going to work for the league considering lads will be potentially racing in different races?

You'll be awarded points based on your finishing position in the race you race.
    The Elite Men's and Support Race are straight forward.
    For the Combined Races, Women's and the Youth/Master Male, I'll extract the U14/U16/M40/M50/M60 as individual races.

That will be added onto your A/B/Woman/Underage standings.
    I guess it makes your entry race tactical for further down the field.

It's like a novelty round.
    In some Club Leagues you will have Time Trial Rounds, where there will be A/B/C/D winners.

This will be my internal monologue when doing the standings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghrdSTC66MA

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

crosswords wrote: »
    As far I know, you can use 650b in both road and cyclocross.

Tyre width (max 33mm), rather than wheel diameter is regulated in cx.

The only time I have seen these things inspected are at national champs or at international races.

I know in the b races you can ride anything but does tyre width still have to be 33 or under ?

Oberkon wrote: »
    I know in the b races you can ride anything but does tyre width still have to be 33 or under ?

If it's being run under uci rules then yes.

Of course It's totally dependent on the commissaires actually checking tyres.

I know that the forthcoming ulster champs will be subject to this rule.

So a fella on a 650 with mahoosive tyres would not be permitted to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

This will be my internal monologue when doing the standings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghrdSTC66MA

😂😂😂 Yeah that's what I was thinking it'll be like!

• Advertisement

Leinster League if CycloCross Rd 4. Scott-Orwell Wheelers CC – Leinster CX Champs:

This Sunday is the Provincial Championships in the four Provinces.

Scott-Orwell Wheelers CC are hosing the Leinster CX Champs in Glencullen Adventure Park - The GAP.
    With thanks to Sinead Kennedy. Health and Wellness, Bikefittingireland / Aidan Hammond, The All American Launderette and Joe Daly Cycles for their support.

The article with all the information that you'll need, including the Rules, TimeTable and Pre-Entry Link (closes at Thursday 20:00):
    Link: Leinster CycloCross Championships 2019 hosted by Scott Orwell Wheelers.

New Championships this year are the U12 Male and Female (to align with the Road and Track championship titles) and Women U23 and Masters titles.
    Something that I hope doesn't get missed in the timetable is that there will be half of the course dedicated to the practice during the Underage races, which will be using the other half.

Pre-Entry : The Leinster CycloCross Championships 2019, closes at Thursday 20:00.

Pump Track and Sandpit Hype.

Entry Line for the Pump Track section:
    https://twitter.com/LeinsterLeague/status/1201574971874656258

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Speaking of Provincial Champs, here's one rider OldVelos will be cheering on at Watergrasshill, Co. Cork n Munster. http://www.oldvelos.com/nessa-rochfords-socks/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Sorry for hijacking this thread - but does anyone know if you could hire a cyclocross bike? I want to give the race on the 15th a go (first timer) but want to see if I like it before buying a bike?

News Just in.....

The Ulster Champs are OFF.

Feck

Online entry for the support race in Leinster might be re opening....

Thanks to Luke.

Hopefully lots of ulster riders will travel down to race...

• Advertisement

OldVelos write up about Round 6 of the Munster League and Champs. Well done riders and winners, supporters and organisers.

http://www.oldvelos.com/round-6-of-the-munster-cx-league-the-chairmans-spare-wheel-and-other-stories/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    The same theory could be applied to all sports, player to player injury if a council own the land.

Has something occurred within the county to spark this?

Just came across the appeal of the OPW to the High Court in regards the hill walker case. A very distinct point was made in regards liability and standard of care. The court held it was not appropriate to impose absolute standard of care to the socially valuable activities. I wonder would this apply here should the course or another rider cause a crash or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

can you get a CX tyre 700 x 28 tubeless that fits a road bike (Giant TCR Advanced Disc Pro) - i'm hoping it might just have clearance enough for a 28 but I think a 30 would be too much. Presumably when its running very low pressure the clearances just isn't there. I've looked at the TCR and it would seem to suggest I can. Never done a CX race but there's one down home after Christmas on the trails around the beach so have to have a go. actually, anyone with experience of the Youghal CX race last year might be able to share their thoughts on what tyres (and bike) to run.

Hi Taxuser1,

Luckily for you, in my opinion, the Youghal race is the one race in the Munster CX league where you might get away with relatively narrow thread - I'm assuming a similar course to last year of course on which I was using Schwalbes 700x30! The grass around the dunes is fairly compacted, but you might find yourself having to choose foot wear over tyre wear in the bumps and humps as well as the beach section. The OldVelos write up from the event doesn't focus on the course but the pictures give you an image. http://www.oldvelos.com/ode-to-a-mighty-gael/

If you're doing the B race you could equally opt for a mountain bike, and believe it or not, a hybrid with good tyres might see you unstuck.

Hope fully meet you there,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Hi Taxuser1,

Luckily for you, in my opinion, the Youghal race is the one race in the Munster CX league where you might get away with relatively narrow thread - I'm assuming a similar course to last year of course on which I was using Schwalbes 700x30! The grass around the dunes is fairly compacted, but you might find yourself having to choose foot wear over tyre wear in the bumps and humps as well as the beach section. The OldVelos write up from the event doesn't focus on the course but the pictures give you an image. http://www.oldvelos.com/ode-to-a-mighty-gael/

If you're doing the B race you could equally opt for a mountain bike, and believe it or not, a hybrid with good tyres might see you unstuck.

Hope fully meet you there,

Brendan

thanks Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Lawd the drama at Namur today was simply incredible.

Yeah both cracking races. Horrible conditions, in one of the crashes a puddle swallowed a front wheel up to the disc rotor.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Our annual Adventure X spin is on the 28th this year. Detail on the Facebook page, cheers!

Suitable for MTB/Cross and those funny Gravel type thingies!!!

https://www.facebook.com/oldcastlecyclingclub/

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Okay!...so got to ride the majority of our Adventure X course today......it's tough!!!. But for every tough bit there's a recovery bit and it's making for a grueling but enjoyable day out. A MTB would be ideal but CX bikes would easily make up the difference on the road sectors. Roll out is 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Presume you must use 33m tyres or under for a B cyclocross race or can you roll up with wider ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Presume you must use 33m tyres or under for a B cyclocross race or can you roll up with wider ?

nah - people riding the B race on mtbs so no issue

Leinster League of CycloCross Update

Results from Round 4: Leinster CX Champs.

Pre-Entry for Round 5 this Sunday in Navan: https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/CXintheParkJanuary5th
    Details for Rd. 5 CX in the Park.

The Series winners will also be announced, and prizes awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

What is the difference between the A and B races?.....I am assuming B is for beginners etc, but is the a criteria then to move to A? A points system like the road races with A1, A2 etc

Keeks wrote: »
    What is the difference between the A and B races?.....I am assuming B is for beginners etc, but is the a criteria then to move to A? A points system like the road races with A1, A2 etc

Open to correction, technically B races are show/intro races, ie beginners/people with no regular CX bikes(eg MTB bikes can enter) or those of us not good enough for the As, if your in any of those then your in Bs unless the organisers deem you to good. There are no hard and fast rules, much like a club league, if your too good, they force you up, there is no CI rankings or points so, as has happened, if no one was paying attention you could be A in one part of the country and get away with riding with the Bs in another part, although it is frowned upon and you'll be upgraded as soon as it is copped.

Leinster League of CycloCross - Final Update

The report from our final round and the final standings:
    Link: Results Rd 5. Navan RC – CX in the Park

Thank you to all who attended our rounds this year.
    Best of luck to all riders in the National this Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just applying for my Cycling Ireland membership so I can do some track racing. I am interested in maybe dining some CX races too. Im 33, do I apply for M30 on my license or leave it as senior? Im confused by that bit

Just applying for my Cycling Ireland membership so I can do some track racing. I am interested in maybe dining some CX races too. Im 33, do I apply for M30 on my license or leave it as senior? Im confused by that bit

I would have left it as Senior but not sure it makes a huge difference for the average racer unless you plan to enter national competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i propose a new thread title for 20/21 season - 'I'm bringin CXy back'

edit - it's mad to think that it's july, and we are already talking about cross....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

lennymc wrote: »
    i propose a new thread title for 20/21 season - 'I'm bringin CXy back'

edit - it's mad to think that it's july, and we are already talking about cross....

With the distinct lack of road racing this season so far I suspect it could be a very CXy year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

CyclingTips reporting that the Dublin 2020 CX World Cup race has been pulled.

Advertisement