Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-05-2019, 11:33   #31
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
We already have night buses running here in Dublin with nitelink, so these new 24 hours services aren't very different to that. I agree, we shouldn't need months and years to do this right.
Only runs two nights a week in one direction with different routes albeit similar to regular routes and charges a premium fare so a bit different to running a 24 hour service the same as a regular daytime service with the same fares at reduced frequency.
Stephen15 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 11:39   #32
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Only runs two nights a week in one direction with different routes albeit similar to regular routes and charges a premium fare so a bit different to running a 24 hour service the same as a regular daytime service with the same fares at reduced frequency.
Hardly rocket science though.
cgcsb is offline  
28-05-2019, 11:44   #33
GM228
Registered User
 
GM228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
We already have night buses running here in Dublin with nitelink, so these new 24 hours services aren't very different to that. I agree, we shouldn't need months and years to do this right.
They will in that they will (or at least should) benefit from standard PSO ticket pricing and FTP use.
GM228 is offline  
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 11:47   #34
AlmightyCushion
Moderator
 
AlmightyCushion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 29,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Only runs two nights a week in one direction with different routes albeit similar to regular routes and charges a premium fare so a bit different to running a 24 hour service the same as a regular daytime service with the same fares at reduced frequency.
Ah, come on. What is so difficult about it? The nite link should give us an idea of most of the issues with running a late night service (anti-social behaviour etc) and how to deal with them. All the rest we know how to do because we already do it during the day time. I can't see how it can take this long to implement something like this.
AlmightyCushion is offline  
28-05-2019, 11:53   #35
AlmightyCushion
Moderator
 
AlmightyCushion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 29,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
They will in that they will (or at least should) benefit from standard PSO ticket pricing and FTP use.
The FTP can be used on nitelink services already so that doesn't change anything there. I don't see how night time tickets being the same price as day time tickets causes such huge headaches that we need a year to figure it out.
AlmightyCushion is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 11:58   #36
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
Ah, come on. What is so difficult about it? The nite link should give us an idea of most of the issues with running a late night service (anti-social behaviour etc) and how to deal with them. All the rest we know how to do because we already do it during the day time. I can't see how it can take this long to implement something like this.
I'd imagine finding the drivers to work such services would be somewhat difficult rotas would also have to be agreed upon with the unions aswell as rates of overtime. All mostly minor things but enough to effect the starting date of said services.
Stephen15 is offline  
28-05-2019, 12:04   #37
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Nitelinks are being re-based in price in stages to match Xpresso fares; this was stated in the fare determination last year.
L1011 is offline  
28-05-2019, 12:09   #38
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,022
This is an attitude that permeates institutional Ireland and I hate it. It's like finding reasons why not is the national sport.

I went to an Engineers Ireland talk by the head of infrastructure investment in IÉ he made out that the area where the lines meet north of Connoly and the loopline were the most complex junction of railways known to man. Granted it's a busy junction in an Irish context but international experience is readily available and indeed has already been given. He seemed to think getting it to work was like building the Hadron Collider.

It's the same with just having night buses, we'll take a few years to make sure we 'get it right'. It's a basic standard service, common in the industrialised world. Just stfu and bloody do it already.

Same with integrated ticketing, 10 years after leap infrastructure is introduced, still no integrated ticketing, although it is promised to be delivered next year under bus connects. Mother of X this is WW2 era stuff, why keep talking about these things, just do them. /rant.
cgcsb is offline  
28-05-2019, 12:10   #39
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
The FTP can be used on nitelink services already so that doesn't change anything there. I don't see how night time tickets being the same price as day time tickets causes such huge headaches that we need a year to figure it out.
It literally requires no innovation whatsoever.
cgcsb is offline  
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 12:25   #40
GM228
Registered User
 
GM228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
The FTP can be used on nitelink services already so that doesn't change anything there.
I recall something from the NTA a few years ago where they said that Nitelink would start accepting FTP sometime in the future, but both DB and the Dept. of Social Welfare state FTP is not accepted on Nitelink.

Last edited by GM228; 28-05-2019 at 12:48.
GM228 is offline  
28-05-2019, 12:28   #41
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,092
Today I watched a video from Japan of them converting an above ground train line into an underground (like what was proposed for the Green Line and Metrolink).

This was accomplished in just 3.5 hours over night!!!

As in trains were running normal, last train stops, hundreds of works stream onto the track to start converting it, 3.5 hours later the trains were running back for the morning rush, only now underground!

Yes, it isn't rocket science, pull the finger out.
bk is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2019, 12:32   #42
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Today I watched a video from Japan of them converting an above ground train line into an underground (like what was proposed for the Green Line and Metrolink).

This was accomplished in just 3.5 hours over night!!!

As in trains were running normal, last train stops, hundreds of works stream onto the track to start converting it, 3.5 hours later the trains were running back for the morning rush, only now underground!

Yes, it isn't rocket science, pull the finger out.
granted health and safety in Japan is somewhat questionable, but I mean even if we could get such progress in 3.5 months, I think that'd be satisfactory. 3 years to get a solitary infrequent night bus route started is a painful joke. Human lives are pretty short, people need to see benefits for their hard work, hoping that your grandkids might see improvements isn't good enough.
cgcsb is offline  
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 12:38   #43
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
granted health and safety in Japan is somewhat questionable,
Is it? I though that the Japanese were H&S freaks?

Certainly looked very professional in the video. Everyone wearing helmets, high viz, steel boots, white gloves and controllers/supervisors waving wounds like they use for directing aircraft on the ground, to indicate when the workers could enter the track, etc.

It looked more of a case of highly organised and orchestrated to me.

EDIT, yep found the video:
https://interestingengineering.com/v...bway-3-5-hours
bk is offline  
28-05-2019, 12:45   #44
AlmightyCushion
Moderator
 
AlmightyCushion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 29,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
I recall something from the NTA a few years ago whete they said that Nitelink would start accepting FTP sometime in the future, but both DB and the Dept. of Social Welfare state FTP is not accepted on Nitelink.
http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/204_Free-Travel.aspx

Quote:
Where free travel can be used
Free travel is available on most Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, DART and Luas Services and on certain private bus and ferry services. Free travel does not include some special services such as Dublin Bus AIRLINK services. You may also travel free of charge on certain cross-border services between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Free travel is also available on the Dublin Bus NITELINK service.
http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx#3

Quote:
3.6 WHEN CAN A FREE TRAVEL CARD BE USED?
A Free Travel Card may be used to travel free of charge on the following transport services at anytime on scheduled services:

Bus Atha Cliath
(AIRLINK and Special Airport services are excluded)
NITELINK services from 21 April 2017
Bus Eireann
Provincial City Services in Cork and Limerick cities
Iarnrod Eireann
DART
LUAS
Participating private bus and ferry services
Participating Cross-Border scheduled services (Between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - See Appendix 3)

Even if FTP isn't accepted on Nitelink services. What specifically about accepting them on night time services would make it difficult to implement? It would operate the same way as they do on day time services. None of this makes it difficult to implement.
AlmightyCushion is offline  
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 12:59   #45
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Is it? I though that the Japanese were H&S freaks?

Certainly looked very professional in the video. Everyone wearing helmets, high viz, steel boots, white gloves and controllers/supervisors waving wounds like they use for directing aircraft on the ground, to indicate when the workers could enter the track, etc.

It looked more of a case of highly organised and orchestrated to me.

EDIT, yep found the video:
https://interestingengineering.com/v...bway-3-5-hours
I found that they tend to leave manhole covers open and not sealed off at night, some precarious wiring to say the least and some activities are undertaken quite frivolously on building sites. The culture is different, nobody sues anyone, if you hurt yourself, people call you an idiot and they assume your family are idiots, so you get up, dust yourself off and never mention it again.
cgcsb is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet